It's time to pull the plug on live-action movies.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Maboroshi

Maboroshi Optimal

Bumblebee could be a great start to a reboot, but I accept that there is franchise fatigue in play.
    So I say give the live action earth stuff a break for a while, then come back in a couple years with a live action earth movie in a new continuity following Bumblebee's story, featuring the new G1 inspired designs. Bring back Knight, Hodson, Steinfeld and Cena and keep it going (but this time properly title it a Transformers and market it as a new continuity, call it Transformers Regeneration or something).

But between now and then during the break, do the "animated" movie. Knight talked about a "live action" animated movie in that it would be entirely CG set on Cybertron, but realistic looking like the Cybertron scenes in Bumblebee. Do that first, it'll be easy to market as fresh and new and different than what's been seen before.

A whole movie of this before returning to visit Charlie.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I mentioned before, the animated movie doesn't have any ties to the live-action films, other than the name Transformers. It can be a standalone movie without any movie references. I should have expanded what I mean putting a pause on the movies and releasing the animated. Regardless how the animated will do, Paramount should hit the breaks for at least 3 years. Use the time to map out how they want to go forward. Hell, they can even after 3 years say Bumblebee was the first film of a new ''reset'' that they said.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Didn’t it just make 300$ Million in China? Lmao.

4. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So no Allspark then? All the Autobots leave on the Ark? Do you have a story idea perhaps? A list of all the easter eggs that are gonna come?

Also, you know what? I don't discredit you if the animated movie is the next thing they should be pursuing. It's one thing to have an animated theatrical TF movie in years.

But will it work? Look at Spiderverse. It's an amazing movie, but generally speaking... Spider-Man movies usually pull around $700-$800 million in the box office. Spiderverse is just $275 million right now. Not as high as before.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    This is the best idea right here. They already fixed the design issues with Bumblebee and retconned out any of the garbage from last few films, it is the perfect place to reboot from. They need to take a break, 3 years or whatever, and start there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    U know that China takes half of the ticket sales right?

7. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as the animated story takes hundreds or even thousands of years in the past, I don't see any reason why to mention the Allspark.

8. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something something Lorenzo something something Paramount, stop right there, not remotely the point and not remotely a subject I actualy care about. Literally just telling the guy that thinking a movie's numbers are weird because they're not a bomb nor a hit is a thing only recently internet nerds care about and turned into a culture, 10 years ago you did not have people having an entire weird culture of arm-chair number crunchers, but now you have weirdos from India or whatever that spend literally all day talking about IT'S A FLOP IT'S A FLOP IT'S A BOMB or something on Twitter? It's fun to watch.

9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    The last knight left a permanent scar that will not heal to the brand that is transformers.
    Maybe it is time to pull the plug. At least that's how I felt when this scene was shown.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Paramount has made a deal with Tencent where Paramount takes $60M flat from Bumblebee. Profitability wise, they should be covered. Anyway, the general rule of thumb to cover these ticket prices is if the movie makes 2.5x its budget, then the film is determined to be profitable. For Bumblebee that should be $135x2.5 = $337.5. If we are including the tax break, then it should be 113x.2.5=$282.5 and in that case, the film is already profitable. But remember, the movie also depends on the DVD/streaming sales which should be higher this time around with the good reviews.

11. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I support a movie showing only the war on Cybertron and outer space, nothing on Earth.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If by $300mil you mean $60mil, then yes it did.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know if Bumblebee had to be a huge hit. Most of the film was done under the old leadership at Paramount so the new leadership can just blame anything they want to on the old leadership. If Bumblebee had crashed and burned they could have told investors see that's why the old leadership had to go.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    But if Bumblebee ultimately isn't a smashing success, is Paramount actually that bad off that they would go so far as to keep what is provably a no longer significantly profitable franchise going...simply because they literally have nothing else to make in a franchise at this point?

15. YanderePrime

YanderePrime Autobot

News Credits:
    Paramount just made a deal with Netflix. If Bumblebee doesn't reach their goal, it's likely a possible sequel will appear on Netflix. That or they put the Cybertron film on Netflix.

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    How the mighty have fallen if true.

17. YanderePrime

YanderePrime Autobot

News Credits:
  18. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Now that Bumblebee has showed that the Transformers franchise can do well critically (IMO this is just as important as the numbers), it's time for Paramount, Hasbro, or whoever, to officially decide if this is a reboot or not.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really get why people claim this scene completely ruins the series, but something like the whole space race conspiracy from DOTM is fine. If you want tight continuity, the series should have turned you away in 2009. If you don't really care and just want wacky alternate history stories, TLK should be no worse than the others.

All TLK did was hang a lantern on a problem that's existed in all the sequels. I think the writers room realized there was no making sense of the timeline, so they addressed it directly by saying "let's just have fun with it". I think that's all they could do, honestly.

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yeah, what did that cost? I'll let Thanos answer that.
    [​IMG]