It's all about scale... and Weijiang has it right

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Datstro, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Datstro

Datstro Plastic Surgeon

News Credits:
    I'd always preferred the bigger scaled bots and was really pleased when masterpiece MP-01 was released ages ago along with the Binaltech cars (with all the diecast metal bits and intricate details).

So when TT started dropping the scale and upping the prices, I just completely stopped buying any masterpieces as I hated the fact that they were tiny in comparison and all plastic (well most of em).

The availability of 3P and up sized KOs just reignited my passion...

Gotta say Weijiang's got it right... the right scale, right amount of diecast and the right price IMO.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 4
  2. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im inclined to agree with you. Though im not as picky about the scale, I do however want a bot thats worth the money. And so far, all of my Weijiang purchases have been on the mark.
    Large, well made, solid and extremely good prices for what you get.

• Like Like x 2
  3. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    tbh their mpp10 is how I wish the scale had gone with the takara line BUT which is a big BUT being practical how the fuck would I display and have the room for a whole 4 seasons worth of bots in that scale? I find it hard enough now and have started building a bigger display... then there's combiners imagine them scaled to mpp10 they would be mahoosive!!!

• Like Like x 9
  4. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I think the exact opposite. Bigger toys might display well, especially if you're only going to have a few, but as someone who fiddles with his toys I find larger ones unwieldy. Closer to Voyager is ideal, so I'd argue that KBB is the one getting it right.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I prefer small figures. Easier to handle, store, and display.
    I'll never understand the fixation on bigger=better. Like, how do you have room for that?

• Like Like x 13
  6. Scotbot

Scotbot Member

Having just got into collecting transformers (as an 80s kid) I was starting a collection of MPs, but the rubbish quality of the seekers ( even the Yes models) in comparison to the Wei Jang and other OS stuff has just inspired me to go OS all the way and sell off all the MPs I have. Most of the OS stuff are better products, cheaper, a total no brainer.

The MPP10 Optimus is double the quality at half the price of any MP figure. It's insane.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ironically, i agree here too. i have the KKB Voyager optimus and its smashing. I like that line quite a bit.

• Like Like x 5
  8. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like a mix.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but I think the official MP cars scale brilliantly with, say, the Robot Hero oversized seekers.

I own and love MPP-10 but he's actually an inch or so too large for me. An Optimus Prime (with a Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave, Grapple and Inferno in the same ball-park) that sits half-way between MP-10 and MPP-10 would really hit the sweet spot but I'll admit there's no incentive for anyone to make one now the 2 scales (standard and oversized) seem to have traction.

9. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think scale and size are two different things.

• Like Like x 7
  10. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MP scaled figures are fine, I wouldn't want anything larger. Larger is not realistic for someone who is actually collecting a season's worth of characters (or more).

If MP scale was a little smaller that would have been okay, provided the quality, detail, and articulation were the same, but that's unlikely. Most smaller series lose some articulation and detail, and in the case of KBB while they are doing the smaller sized MPs thing, I think their quality is terrible. It's fine if you're just looking for a cheap toy to toss about, but if you're a real collector, their stuff is typically sub-par and the amount of outright breakages their KO MP11-ish seekers have had is abysmal.

Maybe if someone's confusing the concept of scaling as in adjusting dimensions, with the concept of a scale as a basis of size measurement (not unlike a floor scale for measuring weight or MP-10 as the masterpiece scale reference point). Otherwise, it's fine and most of us understand what they're talking about.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Initially, I disliked the smaller scale of MP-10 and forward. Especially the cars.

Now, I think the regular MP scale setting is already too big, while Weijing's oversizing is way too big. Would've preferred it if MP-10 was the same size as MP-08 Grimlock.

Problem isn't figures like the cars or even Optimus. But those characters that are bigger. The FT Dinobots are already pushing it (Gigapower is even bigger), look at the size of FT Phoenix (Jetfire/Skyfire) and their upcoming Omega Supreme.

Now imagine those scaled to MPP 10....they are going to be huge. So incredibly big that nobody can really display them let alone transform and pose them.

• Like Like x 4
  12. SuperMegaAutobot

SuperMegaAutobot Well-Known Member

If Weijiang had been around 5 years ago when i was committed to orig MP/Alternators scale it would have mattered, but i eventually gave in to the MP downsizing and won't be going back.

Cool that they're doing it, just too late for me.

13. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I think if you enjoy the bigger bots, then I'm glad you have found a way to enjoy the Masterpiece line.

14. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    I want all of these. Unfortunately, I already own Ironhide/Ratchet and don't really need to buy them again.

I'm trying to quit buying random figures. I like my big Bumblebee but, he's taking up room someone else could use.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I like the MP scale as is, for the large amount of bots I have. I don't have MPP-10 yet, but I'm thinking of doing a sort of showcase display on top of my detolfs of OS MP-10, Bumblebee and Ironhide, and then on another detolf the Weijiang Megatron, OS Starscream, then maybe the ocular max Ravage. I don't know if anyone will OS Soundwave, but I'd like to have those 2 trios. Basically #1-2-3 for autobots and decepticons for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cybertronwarriors

cybertronwarriors @cybertronwarriors on Instagram

Instagram:
    This is an interesting topic. I wonder if MP's were larger, would most of us gone down this road to collect a whole season's worth of robots? I know I probably wouldn't of because, frankly, I don't have space. Plus I don't want figures that big in my home. Because they are smaller, it allowed me to collect them.

Same goes for G.I. Joe characters back in the 1980's versus 1960's. Most of us probably wouldn't of bought more than 2-3 dolls of the 1960's version, but the smaller and cheaper version of the 1980's figures made it more consumable to the average market.

Of course, for the hardcore collectors, the larger bots and 1960 dolls are most likely fine. And I understand that :) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. bad andy

bad andy Well-Known Member

Of all my collection, it's the OS ones that get "Wow! Awesome!" reactions from non-collectors

And I agree, Wow! Awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  18. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Given the fact that already I have display problems and I only own just a handfull of the Mp line, id say the size is good. The OS line is too big for me.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they'd stayed mp01 scale, if have happily collected at that scale. Now that I have a decent sized mp collection at the modern scale, though, I'm not going to start over at a new (or old) scale, impressive though they might be.

That said, I do think I'll get Wei Jiang's Megatron to go with my mp01 on top of my detolf. I've considered getting the os bumblebee too, given that it's only $30 and looks pretty nice, but then I'd need at least one more Decepticon to hang out with them and I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

20. Datstro

Datstro Plastic Surgeon

News Credits: