"It" Remake. Chapters 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Galvatross, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ahh ok.

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    any adaptation that cuts out the infamous sewer scene is still ahead of the curve.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Not all that is seen is truth. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Now now. King has apologized numerous times. Blamed the drugs multiple times now. :lolol 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Raiju

Raiju Kaiju Mod Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The less details about that infamous scene in the book, the better, folks. Let's get back to discussing the particulars of the movies themselves, please. Thank you.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

Went to see Chapter Two on Sunday. My daughters and I really enjoyed it, but my wife had to be practically dragged in. She thought it was gross and that Stephen King has serious problems. :D 

6. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

This was more of a carnival ride than a movie. The first one is marginally better in that regard but it still actively excises all the novel's themes about systemic long term abuse and bigotry receiving a blind eye in idealic Americana. This one touched that subject matter in it's opening but mostly just leaves it hanging. Really it's not about much of anything besides the spooky clown but at least the clown is spooky. These movies aren't existentially frightening or atmospherically creepy, but they're very Spielbergian in use of tension and sudden SPOOKY CLOWN LOUD SOUNDS OH MY GOD. All in all not a bad way to spend a couple hours out of the house.

Given your username that sounds like a big stumbling block for that relationship

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Mike's parents being dead.
    The first encounter with Pennywise.
    The leper.
    The derelict house where the well is.
    The totems.
    There being history and development for Derry itself.

8. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Not in the book.

The second confrontation as a kid isn't in the book.

Not in the book.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I did feel like part 2 relied too heavily on jump scares. Few, if any, which were effective. The scene in the hall of mirrors, however, was a great tension builder. One of the best moments and it didn’t rely on jump scares at all.

10. Dr Kain

Really? I don't remember there being more than 1 jump scare.

The funhouse scene was by far my favorite moment of the movie. Agreed on it being an incredible tension builder.

The only scene in the movie I really didn't care for was when the leper threw up on Eddie. I think it might have been the music itself though as it felt more like it belonged to Deadpool than It. Other than that one scene and Stan being nothing more than a death piece, there isn't any flaw I found in the movie. I was stuck to my seat in anticipation the entire film.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yeah that music choice was odd. I was impressed by what a badass Eddie turned out to be. He wrecked Pennywise harder on his own than anyone. When he fought the leper, it felt like one of those “thanks for giving me the chance to conquer my fear” moments.

As for the jump scares- stuff like Paul Bunyan roaring in Richie’s face, the giant woman charging out of the shadows- stuff like that. Even when Pennywise was counting to 3 & then paused on 2, waited ..... and then pounced. Even that I would call a jump scare. Seemed like there were tons of those kind of scares.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dr Kain

Eh, I guess I can see what you are referring to, but I don't consider Paul Bunyan roaring to be a jump scare because it was all part of the scene. Same with the woman charging out of the shadows because you saw her running in the dark beforehand. For me, a jump scare is when someone leaps out without there being any warning or build up beforehand.

13. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    For me, it’s more like if they set up a scene so there’s a super quiet beat and theeeeen.......

BAM!!!! JUMP SCARE!!!

All those scenes have that.

Anyway it’s not a big deal. It didn’t break my enjoyment of the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed everything about the new movie, but that music when the leper vomited into Eddie's face just totally took me out of the moment. It felt more like a comedic outtake.

15. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yeah I’m trying to figure out why they went with that other than to highlight that Eddie basically figured out how to beat IT. But the music played as the leper was retaliating, so I don’t know. It was weird.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Came back from seeing it unplanned. In fact it was so unplanned I almost missed the first scene by this much.

Anyway, for the adult part I always had the impression it was weaker than the kid part, and to be honest after watching the movie I still think it is. For some reason the story of children going against the monster on their own works naturally. But when it's the adults doing it, it felt a bit off. Maybe because as children you feel the honesty in their view of life and embracing the childhood fears and overcoming them, but when you're an adult you feel more jaded and apathetic and you don't feel like wanting to do this again after experiencing the adult life leaving your childhood fantasies behind.

REGARDLESS...

This movie was fantastic, everyone acted greatly and were close to their children counterparts, but I have some issues with it. The first is Mike being the one who's into the history of Derry instead of Ben as established in the first movie, some flashbacks felt contradictory to what happened in Chapter 1, but you don't really know if they were flashbacks or Pennywise's illusions, Henry's part felt tacked on and not even a side note in the movie, the flashing lights in the fun house and final battle were very annoying they ruined great moments, also I think Pennywise felt a little off here. I don't know what it was, but did he sound different than how he was in Ch. 1? Also noted his eyes were different, like more demonic than usual. But was he terrifying? Oh yes he was.

8/10

I think they referenced that during Mike's exposition to Bill where we see the dead lights forming to a bird.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

While nothing is confirmed it seems we might or might not get prequels about IT's past history.

“There is a whole mythology to the book…Mythology is something that always has opportunities to explore,” Muschietti tells io9. “It [aka Pennywise] has been on Earth for millions of years. He’s been in contact with humans for hundreds of years, every 27 years. So you can imagine the amount of material. It’s always exciting to think of eventually exploring this mythology. It’s very exciting.”

For those hoping the studio is already developing a third chapter, Muschietti has some bad news for you: “…For now, there’s nothing on the table.‘It’ Director Andy Muschietti Says There’s Plenty of Pennywise Mythology Left to Explore

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dr Kain

How can there be a third chapter? They completed the story, at least as far as IT is concerned. Anything more has to be done in the Dark Tower series.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Not all that is seen is truth. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Plenty of room to make prequels as the backstory for IT has never been flushed out. Plus... the character Dandelo that showed up in the Dark Tower is not the same character as Pennywise/Robert Grey/IT as King himself has come out and stated that they're the same species of creature, but not the same character. The Crimson King is also believed to be the same or similar species, but not the same character as the Deadlights are seen in Insomnia when the Crimson King passes back into the upper levels of the Dark Tower... though there's speculation that the Crimson King may very well be the version of Pennywise that exists in Roland's world with Pennywise being Crimson King's Key World counterpart. Considering Pennywise has been on Earth for millions of years there's plenty of backstory to be told there with King's blessing. Hell, he'd likely help write the screenplays if they wanted as he never seems to turn this kind of stuff down. Even if he decides to bitch about it after the fact. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    It Director Planning 7-Hour Supercut of Both Films with Newly Filmed Scenes

"I'm intending to make a supercut, which is a version of this story that includes the two movies with all of the material that was not included in the theatrical or digital release. And possibly a couple of scenes I haven't shot yet."

When asked if he plans on going back to shoot more scenes, Muschietti said, "Yes, I'm not done."

Muschietti went on to say,"I want to be a little cryptic about it," when talking about including some parts from the book.

• Like Like x 3