Is TRU doing ok financially??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wyvern, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sounds about right I work in the Customer service area in a large retail giant and they have cut our budget by 3k so now every one is stretched out so thin that if theirs ever a slight pick up it ends up in huge lines and angry customers and since we deal with items typically costing over £400 if we loose a customer is very bad for the store.

but back on topic its the slow season for toys so typically they trim staff back for this time of the year

2. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man o' Man you have the patience.

Some one else more than likely bought all the stuff you left.

I am sure they are doing fine, it's just like any other time they only have more then maybe 2 front registers, the service desk, and the game checkout manned.

Christmas is the only time they have them all open, just like at my WM, they never have every single register full, it's just not worth paying people to stand around.

I know I see plenty of people at the ones I go to, usually the daytime is the slowest, at night it seems to pick up people getting off work and getting stuff for the kids before they go home.

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

And again, the times have changed. Toys R Us did have a monopoly back in the 90s since there were no other toy stores, their biggest competitor was what, KayBee? Back then stores like Target and Wal-Mart weren't as big as they are now. Hell, I remember when I first started seeing commercials for Target back in the late 90s cause they were really ramping things up. Over time, those big discount department stores got bigger and sold more of everything, including toys, which slowly started to eat away at specialty store's sales. It's one of the reasons why most electronics stores and smaller specialty stores are gone.

Back in the mid 90s, TRU was on top, but by '05 they were all but out of business. They had a monopoly and were making it hand over fist, but things are different now and they had to change just to stay afloat.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Pretty well said. We didn't even get a Target in my area until 1997 or 1998. Some time between when I graduated High School in 1996 to when I graduated college in 2000. At that point even the Wal*Mart was newish in the area.

Although Target was around even during G1. I bought some MIB G1 toys a few years ago and they had Target price tags on them. They just weren't a Nation Wide chain yet. The town I went to college in, York, didn't have on until 1999-2000, I remember waiting for them to build it.

5. beans

beans Well-Known Member

6. Dran0n

Dran0n junk male

News Credits:
    Between you and me, I would taken those and ran out as fast I fucking could.

I would assume that with back to school and the recession, I can see why it'd be slow. This is odd, though. 2004, I went to TRU and bought a Spider Man action figure, and they seemed to be doing the same as any other time I went. Odd.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    at my TRU, it is a matter of timing.
    go to the TRU here in September at 11 a.m. and you'll think you can walk in and out with a PS3 and a cart full of games without being spotted.
    go on a friday evening at 6:30, you are being eyeballed by the floor crew at the Tangiers.

same thing happens everywhere and i milk it. Used to have lunch around 1:45 with a friend at Hooters because the lunch crowd was gone, the dinner crowd wasn't coming for another 3 hours, so the servers either hid in the back or they'd sit with us to talk.

the business landscape of toys has changed, but not to the point that TRU is dying.
    your best indicator would be a visit to the WSJ and look at their sales trends.

8. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    They are suffering to a degree(though it's starting to improve, that raise in the IPO, is after several years of dips), but there's no excuse for what you went through. Look up the store number via their store locator, and call and complain to the customer help-line. But remember this works both ways, be sure to praise a store when it does something right. It's the only way to have stores know when they are doing something right, and when regional needs to step in to correct a bad store when enough complaints pile up.

Just because we as consumers are used to these various things, doesn't mean we can't make them change. Being silent helps no one. Being vocal, to them, can hopefully start the rumblings of change to make the stores nearby be what they need to be.

And no, complaining about 'they don't have what I'm looking for' isn't a valid complaint. I'm talking about good or bad customer service. Even in the slow times, it's no excuse for piss poor customer service, especially since during the heavy times, some managers themselves tell the employees to rush customers, and not to really help them because it's too busy of a time of year.

For example, one manager at a toys r us store, tells employees during the 'christmas season' to tell customers what we have is out, do not bother checking the back or having the stock people check the back. Even if we do have it in the back, tell them we don't. But then they'll go and do this during the off times of the year too, because they don't have the man power to check the back. It's just pure BS both ways with no excuse.

These types of issues make it a no win for the consumer, in slow times when they actually told they are allowed to help, no one is around, and in the times when they do have the man hours to help, and be around when we need them, the managers tell them to not help customers cause it eats away from keeping the shelves straight, or having people on the floor.

9. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

Are you sure it wasn't truck day? Sometimes at my TRU they will have all but one staff member unloading the truck/stocking shelves/taking inventory. Also, if someone had been injured in back or something that could explain the lack of people up front (seen it happen). Still can't believe you walked away from Drift though (been waiting forever to see it). >___>

Toys R' Us is certainly in some rough waters compared to where they were a little over a decade ago, which is why they have started doing more exclusives and imports. I can easily see them going under in the next 20 years if trends continue and they don't adapt even further.

For a long time they could skip right along targeting the everychild with general retail merchandise, but now those children belong to the big box and Toys R' Us has to look elsewhere. Ironically, they are now leaning towards a collector market by carrying even more "not as child friendly" figures like most of the NECA line, vinyl & pop art pieces, and recently even things like the Kingdom Hearts play arts figures. As the big boxes expand Toys R' Us will probably survive by becoming smaller stores that focus on harder to find merchandise.

10. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Which would be fine if they hired knowledgeble people at the store. Or didn't lie to consumers. I'm grateful for some of the stores I've got. I'm lucky in only having one crap store, and the rest decent enough, and some perfection.

Sure, occasionally I may get someone helping me at the perfection stores that don't know the line in question, but they at least stay patient with me, and let me explain the item so they can help me to the best of their ability.

The crap store will just say "we don't have that" without ever even knowing what it is.

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I did, it did for a bit. It didn't work. I still felt stupid and left.

Unfortunately I did have to be somewhere. I was on my way to work. i was going to do an over night shift and I was looking forward to playing with some new transformers to pass the time. And yes, $20 wouldn't have been enough. If I would have done that I would have been arrested for shoplifting lol.

Grocery store you say... hmmmmm....
    and now that you mention Optimus Prime, I should have gotten WTC Prime today :( 

Aren't you happy that you didn't find anything to buy.... well since you were the only customer in the store you would have been ok. The TRU I went to should have had a few more people working. Its the closest TRU to the Mexico border in CA. Its always busy in there.

I felt like running out of there with the damn figures. I was like hello!! I have monies. Please takes them so I can has transformers!!

You know I'm going to do this. the customer service was lacking. The store was clean, it was open, had the merchandise I was looking for, and I was able to find it without a problem. The only thing that sucked was that I couldn't make an actual transaction. To be fair this store has been great in the past. And I have thanked the manager personally many times. In fact, there's a supervisor or manager that worked there that totally kicked ass. Don't know what happened to him.

I will complain but i won't be an ass about it.

12. HighBeam

HighBeam Maximal Command Security

This is ridiculous, I applied for a toysrus that only had 1 employee and I didn't get the job(there is still only 1 person working there). It was a tiny one but it still doesn't make any sense =/

13. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Monopoly is the totally wrong word here. TRU had a lot of influence, but never had a monopoly. Even before the rise of Walmart & Target, there were plenty of other places to buy toys. Kmart has been around forever... And back then most department stores had an at least modestly respectable toy section. And there were a ton of smaller discount chains - Bradlees, Laneco and Clover are the stores I got most of my toys at as a kid.

What was new about the Walmart/Target was the level of discounting they did on toys. TRU couldn't match those prices profitably. They've since changed their model to promote more store "exclusive" mechandise.

14. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i can't imagine a store manned by only 2 or 3 staffers.

every TRU here (and Toy Kingdom, their local arch enemy), have about 12 or more personnel offering you to buy stuff and trying to assist you. Plus, not less than 2 check out counter people all the time.

its really different for every country, i guess. Being 3rd world probably equates to cheaper salary=more employees. just a guess...

15. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    My toysrus usually seems to have at least 5 working. Only ever one register open, unless like last week there were a bunch of suites in there and every register had someone on it.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

In terms of a 'monopoly' I guess it depends where you live. In the UK, we only really have supermarkets and the odd Entertainer or Smyths to challenge TRU.

I don't know about their market share, but they certainly are a dominant presence physically, if not finacially. The problem is (and other people have already mentioned this) that they do not really clearance anything.
    A few times a year you can walk into any of the 3 main supermarkets in this country and see TFs for a ridiculously low price. For example, just before Christmas I picked up 4 ROTF voyagers for a little over £20!!! I've seen deluxes down to £3.something in Tesco in the last 6-12 months.

TRU will knock a couple or five quid off one or two lines and call that a sale. I went in my local branch yesterday and apart from reductions on the ROTF 2 packs (ie Wheelie/Sideways & Hoist/Mixmaster) everything else is full price! They are still charging over £22 for ROTF voyagers and £45 for leaders! I can recognise the same boxes on the shelves now by what dents and scraches they have on them they have been there that long. Of course they pick up a few extra ones as the months go by simply due to being chucked around by kids and then left behind.

Look at any chain of stores that has gone out of business in the last 5 years or so, they are usually the ones who stubbornly continue to charge inflated prices for everything and then they shut down because no-one buys anything from them.
    TRU haven't changed with the times. They need to massively improve their website and sort out their pricing strategy to make it more competitive, for a start.

17. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha... I can literally say that everything in that statement is completely false.

18. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I usually see three or four employees at the TRUs near me, but sometimes only the return exchange counter is open for checkout as well.

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

TRU employee to police: "Uh, he paid. But it was, like, not enough or something."

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Why is that so shocking? I got classics Ramjet from a local grocery store chain. Classics Jetfire and Animated Blitzwing too. They play Wal-Marts game. Sell some toys and home furnishings in addition to food.