Is Transformers the longest running action figure toyline?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by griffin-of-oz, Oct 19, 2016.

1. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I already told you. 1975. Goranger began in 1975 and there were five ranger action figures released initially for the show. The show ran through 1977 and featured toys throughout the run. Each Super Sentai show had toys as well and there's been a reboot show every year from 1975 until now. So Super Sentai predates all our modern action figure lines, including Star Wars. We just got very little of it over here in America prior to 1993. What we did get came through the Godaikin line from the early to mid 1980's.

2. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Barbie line has always had all of the hallmarks of an action figure line: vehicles, playsets, supporting characters, accessories, variants (to name a few). So I don't know why it wouldn't be considered an action figure line (other than it was/is marketed to girls).

But if Barbie isn't considered to be an action figure, then she was the mother of all of them.

3. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 The Machine Wars Guy

News Credits:
    She is, but did you ready my earlier post about Bild Lilli?

4. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but I think we still have to give it to GI Joe, it just depends on how long you consider a "break" to be. Mainly because most toy lines don't have a 1 year shelf life, they have 18 months. So if a toy line launches in summer of '98 its there through Christmas of '99. Then when a new line launches in 2000, it has had a continuous shelf presence. Without having a time machine we're relying on fuzzy memories and catalog dates, not actual shelf presence. We don't actually have solid year by year timelines of TF toys, because no one has cataloged it the way the Joe guys do.

Not to mention that none of these "lines" are one "line" they're several under the same brand. So while Transformers had toys on the shelves from '84 through now they were all different lines, with different scales, different themes (beast lines vs car lines) whereas GI Joe had one scale that were all compatible with each other and even parts/figure reuse all the way from '82 up through the switch to modern body styles in 2007. And even with the switch to modern body styles they still used the same vehicle molds! They'd change the foot peg sizes and occasionally re-tool parts to make the play pattern new, but the vehicles that came out last year were the exact same ones that came out in the 80s with new paint jobs.

GI Joe is the clear winner here, sir.

5. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I missed it. But now I have something to research today. I have to know more now. Thanks! ;) 

6. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 The Machine Wars Guy

News Credits: