Is transformers apart off Marvel?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Skyfire98, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Skyfire98

Skyfire98 You can’t beat the original!

I seen the comics,toys,games even movies say marvel comics. So is it a part(Thanks lol) marvel?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Well-Known Member

• According to the third issue of All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z's entries on Death's Head, the events of the Marvel UK Generation 1 comics take place on Marvel Earth-120185. The universe is named after the publication date of the first Marvel UK-exclusive story, "Man of Iron".
    • According to the Marvel Universe Appendix, the events of the Marvel US comics take place on Marvel Earth-91274.
    from TFWiki

• Like Like x 4
  3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Up until the late 90's I think, yeah, all the Transformers fiction was licensed out to Marvel. Hasbro has always owned the toylines and the franchise overall though.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Okay, first: What you mean is "a part", not "apart". "Apart" means "distanced from".

Second, you seem to be fairly new around here, so allow me to give you a quick rundown.

Marvel helped Hasbro develop the Transformers brand, its backstory and characters back in the 1980s, and also released a comic book to promote the toys. As was standard procedure for licensed properties published by Marvel at the time (see "Rom: Space Knight", see "Micronauts", see "Godzilla"), the comic book when first conceived was presented as being part of the Marvel Universe, with guest appearances by Nick Fury, Dum Dum Dugan and even Spider-Man.

Then, when it was decided to expand the Transformers comic beyond the four-issue limited series it was originally planned as, Marvel realized that the sheer scope of the brand made it hard to reconcile with a world filled with superheroes that should, by all accounts, constantly interfere with the plot, so the decision was made to unceremoniously shift the Transformers comic off into its own separate universe. Marvel continued publishing Transformers comics, but from 1985 onwards, the only crossovers it had was with another licensed Hasbro property, G.I. Joe.

Marvel's license for the Transformers brand eventually expired after the cancellation of the Generation 2 comic in 1994, and from that point on, Marvel no longer held any rights to the Transformers, since it had all just been work for hire. (There is some legal kerfuffle regarding some of the non-robotic characters Marvel created for the comic, notably Circuit Breaker.) Marvel has since identified the continuity of both the Marvel US and Marvel UK Transformers comics as different universes than the main "616" Marvel universe.

Now... which Transformers toys (other than the "Marvel Transformers" crossover toys), games and movies (you explicitly use the plural form) say "Marvel"?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  5. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, in the 1980s TFs were a Marvel production

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    They were done as work for hire, though.

I think we need to distinguish between two different things.

1) Are Transformers a Marvel property? The answer to this is a very clear "no". The Transformers brand is owned by Hasbro, and though Marvel helped develop the brand, everything was done under a work-for-hire contract.

2) Do the Transformers comics published by Marvel take place within the Marvel Universe? I already answered that question in my first reply.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Unkempt Introvert (I actually bathe everyday.)

To add on this:
    The New Avengers/Transformers crossover takes place within earth-7642, which is a crossover universe used between Marvel and DC for non-canon stories.
    Earth-7642
    The UK Marvel comic takes place in earth-120185.
    Earth-120185

This could mean the Transformers could take place on some Marvel earths.

8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Not anymore. It use to be. Currently the comic publishing rights is owned by IDW but back in G1 when Transformers first came out the comics and the toy bios at the time were in fact being written by Marvel comics. Their partnership with Hasbro ended though and Transformers is no longer part of Marvel.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

Well transformers is a part of 80's marvel comics even Spider-man has met and teamed up with the autobots. the rest of the time it's some type of non cannon crossover. Though I honestly don't see why the two can't share a universe plenty of space for both of them especially if the transformers are mostly off in space on cybertron or whatever

• Like Like x 1
  10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Rights issues. Same reason why DC and Marvel can't share a universe. There's plenty of room for both of them especially when the heroes mostly stay in their own city limits... or live in cities so big like New York that Spider-Man, Ironman, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Dare Devil, Ironfist, the Fantastic Four ect can all operate in the same city and still rarely cross paths.

Not that unbelievable. I live in a small town where everyone shops at the same Wal Mart and I still rarely run into anyone without previously planning to meet some place. Even weirder... my ex and I both worked in the same building at the same time before we ever met each other.

The building is a theater, Ice Cream Parlor, and Hotel. She worked in the ice cream parlor, I was working in the theater. The Ice Cream Parlor also doubles as the theater's main entrance and their freezers where they would keep extra tubs of each flavor were stored in our Green Room. So even though we were technically working for different companies under totally different management the fact that we shared a building and had similar hours still makes it really weird that we never met sooner.

Anyway... just because it's theoretically possible for them to share a universe doesn't really mean they can because of the rights issues.

Also some times I don't think they should... like Simpsons and Family Guy... because of the way those universes work. Family Guy tried to explain away the different art styles in universe with a joke that would of worked except the Simpsons already establishes that everyone in that universe looks like that not just the people in Springfield. Simpsons and Futurama also shouldn't exist in the same universe for the same reason plus the fact that Futurama established the Simpsons were fictional within their universe. Those crossovers are fun and their comedy shows so it still kind of works even if they have to break continuity to make it work... not that they ever really had a solid continuity to begin with... but this probably wouldn't work with something more grounded. I usually tend to prefer crossovers with things that already have a similar sort of style in the first place so I can easily imagine them existing in the same universe even if they haven't been previously established to be.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    There was a Marvel Vs. DC episode on this subject and I think it nearly drove Spider-man to suicide.

• Like Like x 1