Is TR Alpha Trion any good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DocSeth81, Nov 16, 2016.

1. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't need a review, just a quick sentence of his pros and cons. I also don't like video reviews. But should I add him to my collection. I know there is a 3rd party one that is more G1 accurate but he is over 100 bucks and TR Alpha trion is 25

2. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

He's ok, depending on what you're looking for. His bot mode and ship mode are pretty standard for what you get with the Voyager class. The beast mode is what sets him apart from other Voyagers, and the mode represents a pro and a con, in my opinion.

The pros are he's got a 3rd mode that other Voyagers don't (all the others have two vehicle modes), he's an incredibly detailed figure in some areas (seriously, the detailing on this one is a step above in certain parts like his bot chest and the lion head), the color scheme is really nice (as opposed to some of the more boring ones like Megatron), he's not going to cost you $100.

The cons are his beast mode doesn't have a ton of articulation (it's enough to get by, but if you're looking for dynamic poses in this mode you're going to be disappointed -- you can't even open the mouth), he's a little kibbly in the non-beast modes (more so the bot than the ship, but there are still beast pieces visible in both modes), and the ship mode is a little boring/uninspired.

So really, it comes down to what you're looking for. As a bonus, though, you can transform him into a toilet, if that helps sway you in either direction.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DocSeth81

Ebay:
    a toilet? That's f'ing awesome

4. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

I agree with Pitt.

I also think he's the most fun to mess around with when it comes to other heads. He looks fantastic with a modded Galvatron head and Squeezeplay.
    [​IMG]

5. Gremnock

Gremnock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I thought he was decent. My biggest con of the figure was when I pulled him out of the box, both arms had detached at the mushroom peg and continue to fall out if I tried to pose him in robot mode.

6. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Unofficial 4th mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    ^:lolol  at cyber-potty.

8. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    Alpha Trion is a fun figure for $25. Nothing Hasbro makes will compare to a 3P figure, but you're gonna pay through the nose for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

The entire Titans Return line is fantastic. The play pattern & interactivity brought about by the tiny headmasters is so fun to play around with. Also the molds are all great for fan modding like the above toilet lol.
    I sold my botcon A3 a few years back when Hasbro trademarked the Alpha Trion name because I knew we'd get a retail release & I'm glad I cashed in. The bot mode looks a little tough & barbaric for a sage type character but he looks outstanding.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    TM Alpha Potato.JPG TM Alpha Potato2.JPG

I really like him but I'm a little biased to anything that has a beast mode.

Bot mode is nice if a little bulky due to the sculpt. I mis-transform the beast mode fore legs to the rear. They work as a cape and this helps to slim him up a little. Plus, the front claws are kind of janky and like to come off a bit if you transform him per the instructions.

Beast mode is slightly compromised in the rear by his ship parts. This is the price we pay for triple changers though.

Ship mode is great if you mis-transform the shoulders. I choose to just leave them flat (default robot mode position) with the purple sides up.

I painted the eyes light blue and I also dug out Beast Hunter Arcee's launcher(s), cut it in half and painted it. I mount those on the shoulder bits in ship and bot mode. For the beast mode they hang out on the hind legs. I think they go quite well with the mold, giving his bot mode a more intimidating look and silhouette with the spikey bits pointed up and out from behind his shoulders. They add to the ship mode by giving it a bit of a skeletal wingspan and some much needed fire power. And for beast mode, they help to draw your eye away from those interfering ship parts by giving them purpose.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Yes get him

12. Thatotherguy

Thatotherguy Well-Known Member

I went to the store determined to buy Astrotrain, but walked out with Alpha Trion. Visually, he looks impressive in all his modes. Bot mode has great articulation, so he can make good use of the sword. Only real downside is the limited articulation in lion mode, but it's still a great mode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    XTB Ollie Mk1 and Mk2 disagree with your statement...

14. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

...and Grand Patriot, Omnigonix Spinout, BTS Sonicron and his minions, early KFC tapes, the list is actually larger than people think.

In answer to the actual question, Alpha Trion is a fun to but he doen't quite envoke the feel of the old character for me.
    It is a fun toy though and the variety of modes is good.

15. DocSeth81

Ebay:
    I picked him up for 19.99 at target last night. I didn't get a chance to open him up yet though.

16. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    I'd say absolutely, but I can see why some people might not like him.

Robot mode is great all around. Good articulation, fantastic paint job (something he never gets credit for some reason) the colors really pop and have a lot of personality. The lion mode is a love/hate kind of deal. He doesn't have much in the way of articulation and for a beast former that can be killer. He can't turn his head or open his mouth, can turn his body in the middle, front legs are floppy and only half articulated, rear legs are solid but obstructed by blocky thighs. On the bright side he does look fantastic just standing there, and can even be mounted by smaller figures (wheelie has a blast). There's no denying that the beast mode of Wolfwire is better all around as a quadruped. The ship mode is kind of an afterthought. It does the job and even has some nice Titan Master pegs for playability, but it doesn't leave much of an impression.

If your a G1 fan like me, but not a Geewunner as a lot of people around here are (just look at his feedback topic to see a mountain of salt), then it's great to finally have a legit Alpha Trion that is a great figure with some issues. But if you don't care about the character and just want the figure, then you might want to wait for the Broadside retool as he looks to be more solid all around. I'll get both myself.

17. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I quite enjoy seeing his presence on my shelf. I'd say get him, he is quite enjoyable as a figure.

18. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well that's reason enough for me to buy him.

19. DocSeth81

Ebay:
    i'm probably not getting the broadside retool or the tidal wave one. I never liked broadside and I am very happy with my Armada Tidal Wave.

20. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

You can half-ass him into a dinosaur and a Saba too. IMG_20161120_003849.jpg IMG_20161120_010731.jpg