Is Todd McFarlane the reason Spider-Man went down the pooper?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by McBradders, Jun 28, 2005.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Nope. Morbius. Though Spidey wore the Black Costume for the 2 issues to "blend in" with the sewer darkness.

2. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Also there was a homeless guy who looks like the precursor to Clown version of Violator.

3. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I personally lost all interest after the ended the Clone Wars. As if that saga wasn't bad enough, they just changed years worth of story. Then they did that stupid revamp and they basically deleted Spidey's past, and I've NEVER picked up a Marvel comic ever since.

4. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Marvel basically... ignored Chapter One by about 2000 (maybe earlier, since Paul Jenkins' storyarc for WEBSPINNERS referenced the "Commie" Chameleon instead of Chameleon, agent of Doom.)

This is somewhat hard for me to say, but I have to admit that if I were to choose between keeping McFarlane's SPIDER-MAN (#1-14, 16) and SPIDER-MAN: CHAPTER ONE (or the first 14 or so issues of the ASM revamp for that matter).... I'd rather keep McFarlane's run.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

My take is that McFarlane did a lot for Spidey art wise. Defined his athleticism, webs, you know the usual, however his writing was the start of the end of Spider-Man being fun, in my opinion. All this dark crap about the homeless, child abuse and the like, it was all too much for a Spider-Man comic and much more at home in something like Spawn, which he obviously took it to. The Clone saga was simply the flush that left a floater afterwards.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Yea, that page Devil showed was pretty much a lot of what was going on during the McFarlane art run. However there was also a different writer at the time that pulled the same stunt. Though MJ is a hottie, I'd rather not think about a Spidey comic having sexual innuendos so scattered throughout.

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

McFarlane's 15 outta 16 issue run on The Adjectiveless Spider Man pales in comparison to the clone saga and the ensuing 5-6 years. I liked the McF Spider-Man title, but I don't think that short run has much if anything to do with what happened in the main book. It was even stated at the time that it was going to be quite different and not everybody's cup of tea. Everybody bought it anyway b/c Mcfarlane's art mad been hot shit for three years. It was the early '90s. Almost everything took a 'dark tone', and it would have happened to Spidey with or without McFarlane.

The Michelinie/McFarlane run on ASM is still gold. Spidey had gotten cheesy bad through much of the 200s. Those guys came in in the 290s and did something that really needed to be done.
    Michelinie stayed on with art by Larsen and then Bagley right up until Peter's 'parents' died in 388, which while you knew it was coming, wasn't that bad of an arc.
    But at that point the book descended into shit. Peter went all crazy looking for the mastermind of the phony parents and that bled right into the clone saga. Which was also the beginning of the neverending crossover. Permanent Maximum Carnage Syndrome was just as much responsible for Spidey's demise as the actual content, IMO. It wasn't bad b/c it was 'dark,' it was bad because it was a so-so concept in the first place, with even poorer execution. I'm not buying 4+ friggin' titles to follow a story that went on far too long.

I bailed early on in the Clone Saga...and pretty much stayed gone until I just kinda happened on Vol. 2 30-32, the very beginning of Straczynski's run, and haven't missed an issue since.
    I've read up on what went down in between and even picked up a shitload of back issues in .25 bargain bins at shows and stuff, but there's really no need. It was good, it sucked for quite a while, now it's good again...really good. Enjoy it while it lasts, I say.

8. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    Lucky you. I have the whole damn thing. It actually fills a large comic box.

9. McBradders

Scarlet Spider rocked!

10. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I think the umpteen different titles were the reason. I hadn't looked at the DC and Marvel sections at my local comic store in a long time since I had only been buying Transformers and GIJoe. I was shocked to see it's the same on both sides. All the main Marvel Charcters have a crapload of different titles and their's like 80 different Batman titles in the DC section. This was the main reason I stopped reading comics in the early 90's and again with the Transformers and Joe titles.

11. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    Yes, yes he did...

A tribute to the almighty Ben Reilly

[​IMG]

12. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

I thought that link was going to be like 3 pages, but it's 20+

Good lord!

Kudos to anyone with the patience to read through this article, much less the Clone Saga.

13. McBradders

Seriously now, where the hell did you get that?

14. DevilzFan

Spider-Man classics, wave 1. I 'believe' Scarlet Spidey and 2099 Spidey were KB Exclusives. I've got mine :p 

15. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    Bingo! You can see Spidey 1099's legs right above him. I got me a wall of these suckers.

16. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I like you. :) 

As for McF, I honestly don't get what the big deal is about his art. Was never all that impressed with it. Haven't read enough of his Spidey writing to get a good feel for it.

17. McBradders

Excuse my language but, god fucking dammit, I hate living in England sometimes.

18. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

McFarlane isn't anything special, hes just another rich overated hack who got big during the moronics of the 90s comic industry.

He might of been resonably decent at drawing Spider-Man himself, but as the above samples show he sucked at drawing anything else in those titles.

19. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

You can have mine.

Assuming you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

20. DevilzFan

[​IMG]