Is this the prime we all know and love {spoilers}

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by prime78, May 23, 2011.

1. Dabbido

Dabbido Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats my point, the only thing I didnt like is that he was like so weak in the first and overpowered by the second one, and looks like hes still overpowered in the third, but he never said something or killed any human, that made him OMG not noble, not himself. I dont get how you guys get offended by his hobby of taking faces, sure its brutal, but it is a war. How would YOU like the deaths? shooting with his gun is brutal, using his blades to slice them is brutal, using his hooks is even more brutal, what is he gonna do? hit them with his face?

2. cosmicherosa

cosmicherosa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To quote Rocky:

" The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that"

I like this Optimus- He isn't 100 % well written but gets the job done He also knows the best way to rid the world of a bad decepticon for good is to remove the head hell he ripped Starscreams arm off and he still fought back

In addition, this is America not European British royalty times. Most our heroes', specially, military, fought againtst extraordinary odds to get it done. That includes personal injury and sometimes death. That's why the ROTF forest fight will be best my best image of him from this series.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Oh good lord, not another of these.

There's nothing wrong with this Optimus. He's just as noble as before, just more visceral since, well, they're fucking movies and they want the fights to look good.

4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But the thing is, he IS pretty much G1 Prime. Not only is he voiced by Cullen, he IS noble. Action scenes alone don't define him. The observatory scene in TF1, the scene with Sam in the graveyard, those alone establish him as a wise and noble leader. Also, G1 was a cartoon, no characters died until the movie. And, as you are adapting the franchise into an action film series, you need to consider how the tone changes. You can't have all of the Decepticons flying away in retreat here. Ultimately, the character, to me, is G1 Prime who is now allowed to kill because of the medium and is able to be quite a bit more of a badass.

5. Dabbido

Dabbido Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THIS. and...QFT!

6. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I like him the way he is. If you want Geewun Prime, go watch Geewun. Problem solved. My god, Bay has the worst job in the world, everyone's a freaking critic.

7. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    :)  Good point. Demolishor murdered thousands of Cybertronians back in Cybertron. He's just waiting for his time, here on earth. Consider him to be a serial killer in hiding. If a cop finds him in hiding and kills him, no one can say... he wasn't hurting anyone... he's just hiding. :D 

And to answer the question regarding Optimus... yes he's different than G1. In G1 what the Decepticons did was just go and steal electricity form a powerstation. The movie Decepts, they want to exterminate the entire human population. Movie Prime must be tough enough to stop them... even if he has to take faces of every decepticon crossing his path. Besides, there is a good reason why he aims for the face. You'll find the answer on Dark of the Moon.
    The weakest point of a movieverse Cybertronian is not his armour near the chest, but the eyes. Take out the eyes.

And yes, movie Prime is Noble enough for me. :) 

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. King of kings

King of kings Well-Known Member

Movie Prime is what Prime has to be, you can't expect a soldier on the frontline not to shoot to kill after all he is fighting a war.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

They can throw in a noble sounding speech here and there but movie Prime just doesn't cut as Prime to me.

Movie Prime, oh just leave Bumblebee to be dissected by the humans because the mission is more important than any of the Autobots. Transformers Prime the big guy is at the front of the charge when they pick up Cliffjumpers signal even though they don't know how many Decepticons they might be facing or if it's a trap.

Transformers Prime he doesn't want the military involved because he doesn't want any humans to get hurt. The movies he just saves Sam who just happens to have something the Autobots need.

Transformers Animated Prime wants to lure the Decepticons away from civilians but movie Prime doesn't seem to be bothered that the Decepticons are going to rip a city full of people apart looking for the cube. Or hey lets start a fight with Demolishor in a city instead of ambushing him when he's moving to another location.

The only answer movie Prime has is to kill Decepticons while other characters named Prime have used more creative means to stop the Decepticons.

In a cop movie if a cop kills an unarmed person who can't fight back we call him a bad person but movie Prime does it to a Decepticon and some people want to call him a hero.

Plus I just don't get this whole thing that if Prime is the big metal boyscout then he can't be a fighter. Primal kicks a lot of butt even though he'd rather see peace. Or Superman kicks lots of butt without killing everyone he fights.

10. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

Movie Prime is Optimus Prime unshackled from his cartoon restraints and plopped firmly into a more believable war situation, where it is either kill or be killed. No capturing just so they can escape and cause more harm another day, no letting them get away, no silly shit like immobilising them and laughing about it.

I love watching him destroy Decepticons, and I'm sure he'll be doing plenty of that in DOTM.

As for Demolishor, he got exactly what he deserved.

He attacked NEST first, killed some of the ground troops by bringing those pipes down on them, then starts killing more by swatting the choppers out of the sky. Then to cap it all off he murders countless innocent civilians on the highway as he runs off. Did you see all those cars he was crushing under his wheels or throwing off the road?

If Optimus hadn't put a shot through his head I would have thought Prime was a dumbass.

11. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

Bloody geewunners, if you don't like this incarnation of Prime then why watch the movies? There are plenty of other versions of Prime out there for you in other continuities.

12. protonpackin

protonpackin Well-Known Member

for crying out loud....if he were to let all the decepticons live it defeat the purpose to even fight them......not killing them means theyll just come back even worse.....megs came back to life only to do worse things in rotf....prime doesnt kill megs or starscream and they come back to cause what we all see in dotm

13. ChicageauxTiger

ChicageauxTiger Geaux-Bot

News Credits:
    Opportunistic
    Philosophical
    Trustworthy
    Intense
    Masculine
    Unwavering
    Skillful

Profound
    Responsible
    Important
    Mystical
    Emotional

P.S. I just made that crap up. :D  Just a reminder of what a Prime should be.

14. wchen34

wchen34 Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime needs to kill more cons,end this stupid war, or Bay will make more shitty TFmovies.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Perhaps that might be an argument if there was only G1 Prime and movie Prime but Prime has been in a lot of series besides just the movies and G1. Not really sure why it has to come down to just G1 or movie Prime when the Unicorn Trilogy, Animated, Transformers Prime, War for Cybertron, comic books and other places have also used Prime.

Even Beast Wars Primal is built around the same ideas as Prime.

16. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

first movie prime is good, top notch. values all life, tells sam to take his if worse comes to worse.

rotf prime... starts doing executioner style kills and in general tries to get the most cruel death he can out of his enemies. megatron wasn't even as cruel.

something is up if thats the case. not sure if its faulty writing or bay just lets kids at ILM do whatever looks cool without thought to character.

anyhow its nothing to do with g1, it has to do with care and thought about characters. someone thinks they are just robots.

17. divet20

divet20 New Member

So? Movie Prime is 98% the same Prime plus 2% bad ass.

18. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    It is still the same Optimus except that now his abdominal muscles all moved up to his chest for tf3.

19. Christiankid7

Christiankid7 Christianbot

Im pretty sure this Prime has been hardened by the War, or maybe he knows something about Deceptocons being natural liars, and if he did let them live, where would they go? Cybertron is pretty much ravaged to the point where it is unsurvivable (I think),and I don't think they have many prisons. Plus the Decepticons so far have been unrelenting, unstoppable killing machines. Prime knows that and is just doing what is needed to be done to save the humans. Which in all movies, he has thought of.

20. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Optimus is so vicious to the decepticons because they're being just as vicious. When someone pulls a knife on you, match it or do better.

This incarnation of the decepticons has a mostly blinding motivation to kill whoever and whatever it takes to bring their home planet back while the autobots refuse to sacrifice innocent beings to achieve the goal of bringing back cybertron. Its as simple as that.

This is the same kind of optimus Prime as in G1. Just that he is faced with a bigger threat then the decepticons just stealing some stuff then flying away. Hes dealing with a genocidal faction that wants to kill every last human.