Is This A Typical Collection Offer

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Beowulfx, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Beowulfx

Beowulfx Beast Mode

I recently submitted a spreadsheet with 109 bots listed with pics. Most of which are Universe/Generations with MP Megs and MP Hotrod, Devastator reissue, Predaking reissue and several 3rd party bots like PE Reflector, MGT-01 Arcee, Ultra Magnus city commander along with a Transmetal set of Beast Wars Maximals and an entire set of All available Prime 1st editions. All figures are Display only, 100% complete with instructions. A certain Transformers Source offered $750.00 For the entire collection!!

I'm shocked! The MP's and City Commander set and MGT-01 Arcee cost that alone. I just went through my Paypal records and even that $750.00 is only 15% of what I paid for the entire collection. They are offering less than $6.90per bot!!! I understand that they buy and resell to make a profit but, WOW...this is just disheartening.

2. bfett88

bfett88 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a typical offer. If you want maximum money you will need to sell each piece separately. It will take time and effort and you will probably not sell it all. Honestly off loading an entire collection is very difficult to do. You have to consider everything that is going to go into the re-selling of the entire lot. Sure they pay you $750, then they have to pay someone to sort, clean, orinize, store the product, take pictures, list the items and sell them. Those are all costs on top of the $750 and they might have to sit on some of it for a long time and some will become bargin bin stuff or donated to a charity. Then they need to make a profit.

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. You trade revenue for convenience with the lot/collection route. I'd parcel out your "high value" pieces and try and sell the fodder in a lot.

Keep in mind you'll pay 20% in eBay/PayPal fees.

4. bfett88

bfett88 Well-Known Member

I would say eBay/Paypal is closer to 12% but if you know what you are doing you can make some good money.

5. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Botcon S_T_A_F_F

News Credits:
    People always low ball and try to get something for nothing !!!

6. robwhit1

robwhit1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    G1, MPs, Classics and third party stuff sell really good on this board or ebay. It is more work, but there is too much value being lost if you sell those items in a lot. The only items you should look to group in a lot are the items that won't sell quickly. I have found that beast wars items tend to be very slow and some Prime items are as well. If you are set on the lot deal, try bbts. I have heard the offer better for lots.

7. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If your looking to sell your collection, you can pm me, we always buy collections at megatoyfan. We can look over what you have and let you know what we could offer you for the collection. Yes i have hear that tf source and bbts low ball and will not pay until they receive the lot and you have to pay for shipping so you end up with less then that.

8. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

thats why i dont buy/or wont sell pre owned bots from/to bbts or tfsource..their offers are some what offensive at times..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Since Junkion threads aren't discussion threads, I kicked this over to Toy Discussion where we can talk about this :) 

10. godmaximonius

godmaximonius Well-Known Member

I would say piece it out and sell here on the boards. Another thing to consider is that a retailer will probably have a lot of the newer released stuff from the past few years like the Generations, Prime FE, Devy reissue and such. They factor that in when giving prices out as well, Knowing that some of it will warm their shelves. Basically add up your collection value and slice that number in half, that's what most re-sellers will pay you unless it's stuff that is really rare.

11. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    When you sell a collection to a retailer, the very most you can expect is 50% of the current market value. When it's done online and the retailer can't review each toy for it's condition in person, you'll be lucky to get 25%.

Anyone thinking they'll get full market value or recoup their original investment is simply fooling them selves. As bfett88 said, you're going to have to sell the toys yourself to get anywhere near fair market value for them.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this, spend the time to make a sales thread, and after a week, make separate auctions. you'll get as close to market value the fastest this way.

13. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Took the words right out of my mouth. These retailers need to make money off what they buy.

14. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am thinking that we should start a master thread of stuff like this.

This is the fifth thread that we saw with this exact complaint. So that is pretty much what is happening. Everyone is getting low balled on their collection.

So your choices are to pretty much give in, or list your collection here. Keep in mind, loose is cheaper then MISB, the. Remove 15% off of average completed eBay auctions prices and that is a good starting point for listing your item.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

You're forgetting the 80-20 rule. In this case 20% of the OP's collection will amount to 80% of the profit the store could make from the collection. Also when you open something it's going to lose as much as 40% or it's resale value then and there.

16. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depending on what is in there, that does sound like a lowball offer. I'd be glad to take a look as well. However, as has been said here, you do trade money for convenience and we have to factor in risk, potential slow sales, etc. so you can usually expect to get about half the "sticker price" on most items. I do pay more in store credit than in cash (as do many), so if you intend to keep collecting, that's often the best route.

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have never gotten a low ball from NNTS. Then again I only sold them once.

I have sold of alot of stuff on a swedish auction site and sure it takes time but you get so much more if listing individully.

I also just start them at 1 kr (baisiccly a 99 cent startgin price) and let the market decide. Its a gamble but it in 99% never lets me down.

18. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
  19. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    TFsorce gives really low offers, if you search around the toy section you will see trhat it is common

20. citoria

citoria Lord Dragon Master

TFSOURCE is like a pawn shop. You only sell to them if you REALLY need the cash fast.

Otherwise sell your high value ones individually and then sell others in lots.