Is there any way to clean up this silver paint?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by xd Accrocate, Jan 29, 2020.

1. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Is there any way I can 'clean up' the left vent to make it look like the right one more? Also, are silver gundam markers any good, for this type of stuff, because my current silver pen sucks. WIN_20200129_20_00_45_Pro.jpg

2. JackKnife

JackKnife Kitbashing Space Truck

Personally, I would strip the silver paint off the vents and repaint them using testors Modelmaster Metallics.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess you have an oil-based one. Maybe from edding. Yea, I used those, too and they SUCK. They seem to never become a 100 % solid so you shouldn't touch the paint. GMs are definitely way better. When I paint(ed) fine details (grooves, gaps etc. like those vents) with them I took a cotton stick soaked (more or less) in rubbing alcohol afterwards and wiped over or around the area (depending on how large it was) until all the paint around the detail had been removed.
    But now I rarely use GMs anymore. I'd suggest just buy a very fine brush (and don't be too stingy) and some water-based acrylic paints. If you get some excess paint just do the same I described above. Now I only use airbrush cleaner instead of rubbing alcohol because it seems to be a bit more effective and doesn't leave a white veil on the plastic.
    And of course you can deal with your current problem the same way ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  4. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    yo
    do i strip it with rubbing alcohol? if so what kind?

5. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Paint thinner can help. I personally prefer taping it off and spraying (airbrush/can at least). With a good technique, the paint job ought to look smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

You should get a set of artist blades. They're quite good for tidying when the paint goes over the edge of what you're trying to paint.