is there a way to open boxes without wrecking them?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ush67, Jul 9, 2014.

1. ush67

ush67 Well-Known Member

i dont want to ruin them, i like art and can put them back in for storage if i choose. do u guys do this or just chuck them? or maybe just save the back card?

2. zandar07

zandar07 Well-Known Member

If it's an expensive piece i.e. Masterpiece or 3rd party figure, I always save the boxes. As for how to open them, Im not exactly sure what you mean. If it's an actual box, like say the ones the voyager figures come in, then I just cut the tape with a razor, pull the tabs, and open it like I would any other box.

Personally, I don't save voyager boxes, though I probably would if space wasn't an issue. As for the figures that come on a card, I open them by inserting a razor at the base where the card and bubble meet, and simply run it all the way around the bubble. I do this for GI joe figures because I do save my GI joe cards because they have 'File Cards' on them. I dont save Transformer cards however, as I don't feel they have anything important on them, but that's just me. If ya dig the artwork, save them.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is what I do with many of mine: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutor...ox-archival-cleaner-solution-less-trashy.html

With cardbacks, I cut away the bubble nicely and put those in a binder. Most boxes I use the method described above.

Generations voyagers and up I just keep the boxes. There are so few of them anyways, plus it helps for moving/storage. If you have a smaller collection, perhaps this is the best thing for your larger-sized boxes.

I just can't recommend keeping all of the packaging for everything unless you simply have the room for it in storage or display. My Unicron Trilogy, Animated, movie, and Prime figures get the "box resource" treatment simply for spacial issues. I feel that my solution is elegant enough all things considered. I especially like it for cardbacks, as none of those are practical for storage.

4. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For actual boxes cut the tape and carefully open it.

For other packages like deluxes you could try and hold the package near a heat source and it'll heat up the glue. I've never tried it but then again I never keep boxes

5. ush67

ush67 Well-Known Member

what about import figures?

do u guys open them?

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

For expensive figures I will keep the box. Like Optimal Optimus, Primal Prime, MPs and Japanese imports.
    Most other domestic figures I'll keep the bios and maybe the box art if it exists.