Is there a generally agreed upon canon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by sideswipe29, Dec 27, 2018.

1. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I couldn't fully explain what I meant in the title so please read my post to get the full context. :thumb 

I recently saw Bumblebee with some people who are completely unaware of Transformers and know nothing about it.

After the movie I got asked a lot of questions like:

"Can transformers only scan vehicle modes that are their same color scheme?"

"Who can be a prime?"

"Was Optimus always a Prime?"

"Do Transformers age or grow up?"

I'm sure we've all gotten questions like this in one form or another but I found myself answering a lot of the time saying:

"It depends what continuity you're talking about."

Transformers is so vast and has had so many different approaches to these basic questions that it's sometimes hard giving a concise answer to someone who just wants the short answer.

Is the default "canon" the G1 cartoon or is it more broad like the Aligned Continuity?

Just curious to know if there is a generally agreed upon head canon that most of us use to explain Transformers to non-fans.

2. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I mean, G1 itself has a lot of different flavors, you know? I'd suspect that, amongst normal, non-crazy fan types like us, most anything people know about Transformers comes from the cartoon.

Getting Transformers fans to agree on canon is like herding cats.

• Like Like x 5
  3. WDTProductions

WDTProductions Lost Light Crew Member

I hate to say it, but generally speaking G1 is the canon that most others are based off. I kinda wish it wasn't and we could move on a bit with this franchise's lore, but 9/10, a concept comes from g1 and becomes a relatively hard and fast rule.

• Like Like x 4
  4. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    Good lord no....have you taken a good look around the fandom? We don't generally agree on anything here.

The only thing we generally agree on is that transformers are robots in disguise.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    The shortest possible answer is no, there is no one, single accepted canon.

Because Transformers is composed of many, sometimes very different Continuities, quite a bit is left up to your personal preference and imagination.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

Or fans of any franchise for that matter.

• Like Like x 3
  7. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    And even then...

• Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Short answer: Every canon is canon to that canon. All seeping and oozing together in an incestuous pick-and-choose homage vat. Some series will take elements from past but disregard others, some will exist, be homage, then homage that homage later on.

Long answer:

AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR.

• Like Like x 5
  9. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

When people talk Transformers it's mainly G1 or the movies. How the lore is portrayed may be different.

Seeing how you saw Bumblebee I think the answers should be related to the movies. (Although they never answered the questions above. Most likely in comics or literature.)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Canon is not for the fans to agree upon

Only Hasbro (Takara) can dictate what is And is not canon

It’s is for us to live with lol

When I get these questions or other similar ones I either answer from a G1 point of view, Or try to give a general answer that fits much of what is common among the different series

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had friends ask me questions like this too. Honestly, franchises having this many different continuities seems fairly rare, and some people seem to have trouble wrapping their heads around the fact that most Transformers series' aren't really connected to each other. I usually try to compare it with something like Toby Maguire's Spider-Man movies vs. Andrew Garfield's. Some elements carry over (like his basic origin story), but a lot are also different (like Toby's web shooters being part of his biology, while Andrew built his).

I usually try to keep it simple when explaining stuff to non-fans, and not delve too much into the technical details. Nothing will turn them away quicker than the idea that they have to learn a bunch of unrelated stuff for each and every continuity. One friend of mine tried to do some research and stumbled upon the TFWiki article for the Covenant of Primus. I tried to discourage him from reading that, and to look into something like the G1 timeline instead (preferably an article that covers a broader picture).

As much as I like the uniqueness of some of the past series, I actually don't think Hasbro's recent "brand unification" approach is an entirely bad thing. I kind of like the idea of different continuities functioning essentially the same way (obviously the stories themselves would be different). It would certainly be less of a headache for newcomers (and even fans).

12. WDTProductions

WDTProductions Lost Light Crew Member

Okay, but also my personal canon relates more to IDW's continuity more so than anything else. But from a "where is this from" tfwiki search, I'd still stay with the G1 Cartoon/Marvel Comic

13. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Is it really though?

Maybe it’s the anesthesia (had surgery earlier) But to tell the truth I can’t think of any long running, kid targeted fictional franchises that don’t have a great number of continuities

Look at superhero’s, and forget the films, let’s just look at conics or cartoons, how many different continuities do you think exist for Spider-Man or Batman?

Rhetorical please don’t answer

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

Not really. So long as it's officially licensed (and maybe not even then), most everything is a canon part of the Transformers Multiverse. There is some consistency in canon depending on different "continuity families" but otherwise, I'd just say that different series say different things.

15. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I don't think so. Other then the fact that its the same story about an ancient alien robot race at war told in different ways, (with the outlier being rescue bots), transformers has many diverging canons, stemming from cartoons, toys, comics and movies. There are some key players that never truly leave, and some even change it up a little from iteration to iteration.

16. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Well-Known Member

I'd recommend watching this video, maybe have your friends watch it if they're really curious. And of course be sure to thank Chris McFeely, he's a regular on this forum.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Another Nerd

Another Nerd Member

I was gonna link that video too. His videos are amazing. They're deep enough that seasoned fans like us can appreciate the information, yet Basic enough that people with a passing curiosity aren't overwhelmed. I often find myself referring to these videos and trying to mimic his style when my girlfriend asks me questions about Transformers. I've even shown her the first few in the series (essential viewing for any new fan!), and they've sparked good conversation. The overwhelming amount of information within the Transformers fandom (aka MESS) is whittled down perfectly in these videos.

So, yes- thanks to Chris McFeely for this wonderful, awesome series! I look forward to the videos every week or so. Keep up the good work!!

• Like Like x 4
  18. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I prefer where they cannot scan anything and that doesn't exist at all. They have to be rebuild to have a different alt mode.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    Basically there are a TON of canons, with offshoot canons within those canons (IE there is a G1 canon and splintering off that you have the G1 Beast Era canon and the G1 IDW canon).

20. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Even when dealing with each individual continuity, TF canon is often a mess. G1 contradicted itself on numerous occasions, but it’s forgivable given the budget and tremendous time constraints. BW and BM were offshoots of G1, but were liberal in what they adhered to from G1 (pulling some stuff from Sunbow, some from Marvel, and some from nowhere, and ignoring quite a bit), but rarely contradicted itself.

CR/RiD was a filler for young kids and probably shouldn’t be looked at too in depth.

Armadaverse – Who the f’ cares? Pulled G1 milestones to fashion some long storyline that came out as dogshit. Unwatchable dogshit. Did it contradict itself? Hell, I don’t know, doesn’t matter to anyone other than bodycount.

Animated – Was its own thing, introduced the young inexperienced and relatively low-ranking Optimus Prime (not Orion Pax, but Optimus Prime). Basically they took the Optimus Primal character and stuck him in a military hierarchy answering to Ultra Magnus and taking shit from Sentinel Prime. And as far as I can tell, did not contradict itself.

Movieverse – huge budget, plenty of time between projects (don’t give me that writers’ strike bullshit, there was still plenty of time to hammer out scripts that weren’t dogshit), and yet…just a mess of contradictions. You can’t guess an age for these guys because you’re proven wrong by one of the films, you can’t really estimate their arrival and impact on Earth because you’d be proven wrong by one of the films, etc, etc, etc. But it does establish that one wrecking ball on a construction vehicle and duplicate when turning into a gestalt to provide Devastator with a pair of testicles…F’n Bay.

There’s more, but essentially there’s no real canon in TF’s, you just pick stuff from prior iterations that works for you and make new stuff up as you go that may or may not be used in future iterations. It’s unfortunate as it really has the ingredients to be a great and respected sci-fi mythos, but instead we’re just told to not think too hard about it.

• Like Like x 1