Is the phrase “toon accurate” spoiling this hobby?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by the oaf, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

I assume most of you (MP collectors, anyway) want the very best figure you can get for each character in terms of quality, aesthetic (in both modes), articulation and scale. So then, why do so many people continue to cry out the phrase “’toon accurate”? This strange, borderline obsession with a 35 year old, often-times poorly animated and badly drawn cartoon for children baffles me. Let’s face it… if you were watching it back in the day, you’re probably at least in your late thirties now. Outside of the first season, you must be aware how much production quality consistently slipped the further along it got, so why would you want high quality figures based solely on it?

I can’t find the quote, but wasn’t the original ethos Shogo Hasui had for the Masterpiece line (since MP10) something like a blend of real-life and all the cartoon/comic versions of the character to create the figure your younger-self always imagined? Well, thanks to the shouty cartoon fans, now that ethos just seems to be “match the crappy cartoon and make them shut up”. As a result, the more recent official figures don’t match the aesthetic of the older MP’s. So well done there.

The last official MP figures I got were the van brothers and Shockwave, which still have enough nods to the original ethos to stand next to the likes of the Datsun brothers and Soundwave. But since then, I’ve been out, as the ‘toon aesthetic has completely taken over. For me, the biggest culprit is the Inferno mold… despite all the praise it gets and that really elegant folding ladder arrangement for the ‘bot mode, it really falls short against all the competition for its overly plain (ie. ‘toon) appearance, which to me makes it look unfinished, with the most unforgivable sin being the neglected rear end in ‘alt. mode, which IS just unfinished as far as I’m concerned. That’s just NOT MP quality.

The phrase “toon accurate” really limits the imagination of the third party manufacturers, as the customers who shout that annoying phrase shout it the loudest and most often, so they bend to their will. We’re all man-children here, but some it seems are really stuck in a very specific, ropily animated past. Plus, the cartoon omitted so many characters. Would the ‘toon accurate crowd ever want MP/esque versions of the following:
    Duocons
    2nd generation Headmasters and targetmasters
    Sparkabots and Firecons
    Triggerbots and Triggercons

I would, but I’m not sure we’ll ever get them because they didn’t exist in the cartoon (as far as I’m aware), so do they even matter to the noisy crowd?

Does anyone else feel like me and wish the “’toon accurate” lot would just shut up for a bit and stop constricting the designers so much?

• Like Like x 43
  2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    thats why i primarily collect chug style stuff, 3p doesnt seem as invested in toon accurate chug designs, but to answer one of your questions, yes toon fans would want those characters as im pretty sure the majority of them did show up in the japanese cartoons, either headmasters or masterforce mostly

• Like Like x 3
  3. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

I mourn the loss of the Hasui aesthetic.

However, its clear that toon accuracy is the direction of the official line at this point. Hopefully 3Ps will continue to offer variety for collectors who aren't interested in the toon direction.

If you expect to get all your obscure characters in MP fashion tho, I think you may want to prepare yourself for disappointment. Maybe Im completely wrong, but I dont see a particularly large market for the trigger cons, and duocons. Hopefully Im off on this, but those figures fall within a niche of a niche. The Asian market will be the primary audience for those characters and rumor on the boards is the Asian audience doesn’t love villains.

Speculation of course.

• Like Like x 17
  4. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    It seems like it is spoiling the hobby for you, unfortunately.

I’m adoring it. The Hasui MP’s have a different charm which I do enjoy quite a bit as well, but as I enjoyed the cartoon and didn’t have too many of the toys (sadly) or comics, my main nostalgia is for the show. I think the “toon accurate” MP’s actually still strive for an idealized version as, like you noted, the toon wasn’t drawn well, so they have to target some middle ground of what the character looks like.

Further, i don’t understand why it would be weird to like something that looks like the source material - filmation MOTU, SHF Ninja Turtles, all kinds of superhero stuff - people want it to match a certain look/style and that is totally ok.

Fortunately, there are options, but I do understand the frustration of those who preferred the initial style and have seen it drift away from their preferred look.

• Like Like x 18
  5. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Didn't really spoil it for me. I just moved back to Classics. Haven't bought an official MP since MP-20.

It's like I used to collect marvel new mutants. I stopped when Rob Liefield took over the art.

Cartoon accuracy is the new Rob Liefield.

• Like Like x 13
  6. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say yes, but I already shied away from MP scale stuff... (I do not need a gigantic Mindwipe, at all.)
    Also I only just started into 3P stuff last year, so anything that reduces my very long shopping list is welcome XD

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ragnar454

Ragnar454 Well-Known Member

I prefer the Hasui aesthetics with things having a more “real life” version of the toon. For me it’s more of balance though, on one end I don’t want creative liberties taken on the character, and on the other end don’t want over simplified toon. The change in direction isn’t bad to me as long as they don’t go too far in that direction. I like the newer mp Megatron way better than any 3rd party offering.

The reason why older people want toon accuracy is simple, Nostalgia. That’s the only reason I’m interested in transformers. If things deviate too far from what I saw as a kid I have no interest in it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

I dislike these type of questions... Cause the answer is both yes and no. We are a diverse fanbase, with diverse views.
    To you and others, toon accurate is a four letter word, but to me and many others it is exactly what we were dreaming of when we were kids.

I know it sucks if you are a hasui fan, but that time came and went ( and it was a stellar run) now it's time for others to get what they want.

At some point the pendulum will swing the other direction.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

Brilliant fucking quote!!

• Like Like x 13
  10. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

That largely depends on who you ask.

Personally I don't have one single-origin preferred aesthetic. Some things I like G1 cartoon, some things I like IDW, some things i like WFC/FOC. I look for different things. Maybe I'll find a toy-accurate G1 character that looks better than the show, I wouldn't dismiss such a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm of two minds on the subject. On principle, I prefer the older aesthetic but when I see mp Megatron and Sunstreaker in my display, they look great. And I really really like the look of the recent xtb figures: the Stunticons and Skids. That said, I'm really really not a fan of blue windows and bluish grey paint in place of chrome. I prefer the smoked black windows of the Hasui figures and I love chrome on my figures. Basically, I want them to look similar to model cars. Sunstreaker was toon accurate but still had chrome and I think that's the way it should be (but he should've had black windows).

As far as mismatched aesthetics, it doesn't bother me all that much. My display just looks like Transformers to me - Sunstreaker doesn't look out of place next to the other carbots to me eye. But that's just me.

• Like Like x 5
  12. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Spoiling the hobby? Yes, for some... Like me.

I much prefer the Hasui aesthetic. For me as a kid, it wasn't the toon that made the toys, it was holding the toys in my hands that made them real and i loved the "real" look and feel of the first series diaclone micro change figures. The cartoon didn't even air in my location until months after the toys were out and myself and all the other kids already had a bunch of them. The cartoon only added context to the characters for when i played with the toys and not much context at that.

I woud counter argue that ther current "toon" direction more "creates the figure your younger self imagined" for a very vocal crowd.

For me, the issue is now my collection is broken. If the Hasui period never existed and the past 14 years of collecting MP was always the current aesthetic, I would be fine. But as it is, it's like I wasted the last decade trying to acquire a cohesive collection only to be betrayed in the 11th hour because of a small group of protesters with "Toon Accurate" signs ...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
  13. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

The problem with your reasoning is that for a lot of people the very best figure is the one who looks like the cartoon they watched as kids. And you talk like the toon inspired figures are ugly while they simply appeal to a different aesthetic.
    I personally like both the previous and the latest MP figures and I don't have a problem mixing them in my collection, so I'm not bothered by the change in the direction of the line.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

What does it matter, didn’t I just see a prototype for a 3P MP Armada Starscream? Room for everyone and even still, it’s a hunk of plastic and personal preference. The poor quality of figures is ruining transformers, not fans asking for a line that resembles the origin of this whole thing.

15. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    sunbow isnt the origin of this whole thing

• Like Like x 7
  16. mrprime222000

mrprime222000 Well-Known Member

I have to say no. I for one love took accuracy. The cartoon is what made me fall in love with the franchise to begin with. So of course I’d want toys that resemble the cartoon. I understand those cartoon designs aren’t everyone’s favorite. But they are nice and clearly a lot of people enjoy them. I do get the complaints of mismatching. Although for me the Lambos are the only time it’s overly jarring. Thank the lord for Badcube. I can’t say I get just how distraut some are over it. To me there seems to just be more options. Yes toon accuracy is high but so is stylized.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

no. but people who say "toon accurate" are

• Like Like x 6
  18. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Toon-accurate robot modes aren’t a big issue, but toon-accurate alt-modes are just ridiculous. When you get to the point of actually intentionally omitting/removing things that both the real and toy versions have (like Inferno’s tail lights and rear bumper), you’ve gone way too far, and now you’ve got the Fisher Price look on an “adult collectible”.

As a Countach fan, I fear a Sideswipe 2.0, for toon-accuracy means “Countach-esque” and not actually look like a Countach. And my god would the Aerialbots have some hideous abominations of alt-modes, and not actually be Harrier/F-4/F-16 etc.

• Like Like x 28
  19. robh

robh Decepticon

honestly? I only have two problems with the newer style of MP figures

1) they don't match most of my collection so they look out of place, and I'm not re-buying my entire collection because the design team changed, sorry.
    2) panel lines. my God, they are so panel-lined that it's ridiculous. The older MPs, while less articulated, did a much better job at hiding where the transformation joints were. MP-36 was the worst offender, especially from the waist down.

• Like Like x 4
  20. jazz1914

jazz1914 moonbase survivor

Agree with The Oaf! Honestly, getting away from G1 heavy figs. Still want the MP fit n finish ( ;)  ), but not the rigid restraints of G1. My eye has shifted to IDW styled figs, Make toys Cross Dimension, and Badcubes new Natures line lately as a result. Fans Hobby still has me as well.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.