Is the MP fandom toxic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Apr 14, 2017.

?

Is the MP fandom toxic?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    There's a huge problem with your mindset that expressing an opinion contrary to your own is "stirring shit". That is not conducive to conversation, and sounds more like you'd prefer an echo chamber of safety where only favorable opinions are allowed. That's not how it works.
    I buy official and third party products and am entitled to compare them because they're all Transformer toys.

• Like Like x 3
  2. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I actually share the same views as Danny Boy...I think?

I only collect Takara MPs. I'm an elitist. I don't even consider Hasbro's to be "real."

Knock-offs, add-ons, bootlegs, 3Ps.....I'm not interested in any of that.

BUT....I try not to be a giant asshole about it. I don't recall ever personally insulting anyone. If people find my opinions offensive, I guess that's their problem. But all I've ever done is state my own opinions. IN MY OPINION 3P products are garbage and I don't want them. Is that toxic? Am I personally insulting you if you collect them?

If I have an elitist attitude about what I will and won't accept in my own personal collection.....how does that affect anyone else?

I have also NEVER made a post in a 3P thread with the exception of inquiring about one of the Predaking knock offs a few years back. I don't stir shit. I don't go into any forum for products I'm not interested in.

But there is a constant stream of 3P talk in all the official threads. If people bring it up, which they constantly do, I'm allowed to express my opinion, am I not?

Is there anyone here that's been personally insulted by me? If so (I'm not saying it's not possible...I have posted a lot of times high on ambien and don't remember doing it) please show me.

And if people have me on "ignore" not because I've insulted them, but just cause they don't like my opinions on toys, isn't that really childish? When people have a list of ignored users that just seems to me like sticking your fingers in your ears going "na na na I can't hear you." Pretty think skinned and weak, I think.

In full disclosure I have ONE user on ignore, but only because he posts unintelligible gibberish. Maybe English isn't his first language.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's many more than just him. Heck, most of the more argumentative and trouble-starting posters have dropped into this very thread, some even decrying the toxicity.
    Oh, the hypocrisy!

Just like what you like, say your peace on what you don't like and move on, don't try to impose your will on others and everyone can get along and go about collecting their Transformers or transforming toys.

My personal solution is as follows:
    -I don't go into threads for stuff I don't collect or care about.
    -I don't comment on stuff I don't like or care about.
    -I don't give "likes" to posts containing stuff I don't like or care about.
    Simple! This keeps me relatively happy and out of pissing battles.

• Like Like x 3
  4. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Calling someones elses choices as garbage because you want to ride your horse (so to speak) doesnt constitute personal oppinion. You actively throw a bucket of shit on someone elses choice.And you do it without even examining what you call garbage which IMHO is the worst part of it. Personally I dont care because in actuallity its this behaviour that is childish, you litterally hide behind your finger and you claim supperiority over something without having a personal opinion on that something, like a child who has never tasted a food yet somehow it formulates an opinion.

In the end of the day everyone is entitled to do as they wish, but personally I find blind devotion an odd thing.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What one calls 'blind devotion', another calls 'collection focus'.
    To each their own.

6. pilot00

Agreed, but you cant go on saying something is good or bad without even examining it. You can simply say: I dont want it because I collect only x things.
    I collect transformers and playmobil. I dont like lego. I dont have an opinion on lego so I cant say weather they are good and I also cant say that they are shit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Lat time I checked it was MY collection. I only want REAL items, GENUINE items in my collection. Fairly sure I still have the right to collect whatever the fuck I want. Why does that bother you?

3P products are fake. They're bootlegs in every sense of the word. They are not genuine Transformers. To me, they are garbage. If you like them, that's fine. Your buying preferences mean less than nothing to me. Buy them. Buy them ALLLLLL. You can have them. That doesn't make them not garbage....TO ME!! Some random internet stranger you'll never meet.

Did I call you an asshole? Did I say you're a bad person? How is me calling 3P products "garbage" not an example of me expressing my personal opinion?

Please explain how I'm throwing a "bucket of shit" on anyone?

• Like Like x 3
  8. pilot00

I did reread my post before blowing a fuse.

9. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Blanket statements coming from an uninformed source (you say you don't care about 3p so you don't have an opinion on them, yet your opinion is that they are garbage) is not conducive to an adult discussion and reeks of an attitude of superiority. You could simply say they are not for you rather than calling them garbage and it would decrease the amount of strife on the boards considerable (not just you, everyone in general)

• Like Like x 2
  10. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    No problem, man! Believe it or not, we're all friends here!

11. pilot00

Who said otherwise?

12. Optimus Prime15

Optimus Prime15 Well-Known Member

Wow see this is the internet these days. All these keyboard warriors spouting off. Buy what you want and say your piece but don't give anyone grief about their collecting habits. I personally buy 3rd party bots as placeholders until and official one gets realeased. Can't we all agree to disagree on certain points.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pilot00

All I am saying is this: Before saying whats what someone must have experience on the subject at hand and overall generalisations should be avoided. Especially if lack of contact is the case, whatever the reason.

• Like Like x 2
  14. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Do you think an art collector who's only interested in genuine originals would take the time to learn about fakes? Or would he just dismiss them as garbage and move on?

Transformer toys are not fine art, but any collection that a person is passionate about is the same, in spirit. I've made the comparisons so many times. People that collect sneakers want REAL Air Jordans. People that collect vinyl want original pressings. People that go to see Metallica don't want to see "Enter Sandman, Detroit's second best Metallica cover band since 1997!"

Now, since I've already said I don't go into 3P forums EVER, and any time I would even refer to 3P products would be in official MP threads anyway, how is that inflammatory or offensive? If I'm in the MP 36 thread talking about how awesome it is and someone says "oh but Appolyon is more toy accurate" and I say "I don't care about garbage like that, I like MP 36." I'm not a stirring shit, I'm simply giving my take on it.

Am I a snob? Sure, if you wanna call me a snob, call me a snob. Call me an elitist. I don't mind. They're just toys.

In my own personal snobbish elitist opinion, is my collection better than anyone else's?

Yeah. Yes it is.

Are there people with better collections than mine? Of course.

This forum is pretty ridiculous when you stop and think about it, isn't it? And that definitely includes me. But that's cause we have passion about this stuff. I think passion is a good thing.

• Like Like x 4
  15. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

OK, onnsake is toxic.

But just because he is toxic, it does not mean that community is toxic.

It is almost funny how he express his ideas..."everything I don't like it is shit, if you dont think like me you are shit but is it wrong that you are shit? because you are since I told you so "

OMG

He even thinks is an elitist, don't even know 3P products can be really more expensive than official.

• Like Like x 1
  16. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Well ignore me then I guess.

Still, I don't see how I'm saying that YOU are shit cause you collect 3P toys? That seems like a hell of a leap from me saying I think bootlegs are crap to "you're shit."

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Many 3p items aren't trying to pass themselves off as originals because they don't share designs with official figures. Also calling 3p items garbage for absolutely no reason isn't being a snob, it's being a jackass because you can be. There are better ways to say things, why does it have to be garbage? Can't you simply be happy saying I don't care about Apollyon because I don't collect 3p? It's a much less dickish way of saying exactly the same thing except it causes less people to see you as a dick. Basic social skills is all people are asking for

• Like Like x 5
  18. pilot00

This discussion has a logic flaw the size of Grand Canyon in it.....First time in my life I feel like Shockwave...Third party or otherwise....

19. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    If I'm no longer graceful I guess it's just due to frustration from the constant inundation of 3P discussion into every single facet of this forum. There's no place to simply discuss Tranformers toys anymore. So if people are going to continually force me to acknowledge fakes, then I'll acknowledge them. I don't see why I should be elegant about discussing fakes in a forum dedicated to the real thing.

Still don't see why that's offensive on any level.

Offended? Ignore me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

The Administration should take actions with people like onnsake, the guy of the thousand shits. How is he able to speak like that, insulting people here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.