Is the brand making new TF fans?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErickCruz, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well at least Cyberverse was good for something.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    A lot of my 6 year old's friends are getting into through rescue bots.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Duskscream

Duskscream Well-Known Member

Dunno but if i was growing up now and all I had was Cyberverse i'd never become a TF fan.

4. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    But it's not (unless you're just referring to the cartoon) The toy isle has your pick of Cyberverse, Studio Series and Generations. Despite Cyberverse being the "entry level toy" it's as expensive as the other two. You may have a harder time finding a specific character with the collectors lines, but that's how some secondary characters becomes someone's favorite because it's one of the few toys you could choose from. I remember picking up G1 TwinTwist not having any idea who the character was but I loved that figure and the character became a favorite of mine.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Hidden Elephant

Hidden Elephant Diggity.

I want to say yes. A few days ago, I was at my local comics n' collectibles shop, and there were some kids looking at transformer toys for sale. They couldn't have been older than pre-teens, middle schoolers at the most, and were a-ga-ga over a Movie Megatron design (dark of the moon, I think). I pointed to the RID 2001 Megatron design next to the Movie Megatron and said that that guy had 6 different modes, and those kids' eyes lit up in awe. So, there still is a younger generation coming in to the Transformers franchise, ready to discover all its odd corners.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 My hyper-fuel may be a little too hyper

Father and son are what I mostly see in the toy aisles looking at Transformers. Passing Transformers on through tradition from parent to child is the best way to keep Transformers strong. And I've noticed it a lot more now than a few years ago. It's a beautiful thing. I need to go cry it's so beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    I mean, that might just be because kids should be accompanied by a parent when at the store.

8. Gee Won 1984

I hear the Dad's explaining things they remember from Transformers to their kids, and enjoy talking to them there. You could be right, but I like to think I am. It might just be this area, or it could be a very small amount, but it should be more.

The new improved WFC toys and show probably peaked a lot of Dad's interest along with the kids during COVID making Transformers a good seller. My son's friends weren't really into Transformers until WFC came out and now they have Transformers toys, and their dad's grew up with G1 and approve of the toys and are willing to buy them.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  9. Tfcollector97

Tfcollector97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The only reason i got into tf was because my friend told me about it a few years ago i barely saw or see advertisement for it ever it needs way more advertisement for more new fans.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sharkteethies

sharkteethies and i am a material whirl

I think so. Fandom is a wild and fun thing. As long as Hasbro is still willing to take chances and keeps trying to push the franchise in new and fun places and not get too fussed over the occasional stumble people will continue to discover it.

But it's not completely on Hasbro either. A lot of it is also what we in the fandom put out into the world. I remember liking Transformers as a kid, but it was never a huge thing. I watched the first couple Michael Bay movies when they came out because it was about a thing I vaguely remembered liking as a kid but it never really EXCITED me.

What got me to be a fan was rp. I do a lot of multifandom roleplay in various spots and about five years ago I came across someone playing IDW Ratchet. I interacted with them for a bit, played out a fun scene or two, and I really liked the character! I wanted to find out more about him and the specific series he came from. It led me to the TF Wiki, and the MTMTE comic, and from there I just started devouring all the Transformers media I could find.

Now I'll probably be a huge fan for the rest of my life. And I probably would have never gone down that path of discovery if it wasn't for that one other fan who wrote a really good Ratchet.

So if you can? Put out fiction, put out art, talk to not-fans, show them how much you love this silly robot franchise and they might be inspired to check it out too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

As a long time fan since BW, it was Kingdom that got me into collecting. Sure I bought a few cool looking toys before, but not into the extent that I have now! The Kingdom toys are awesome!

12. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Here's the thing.

There's no real solid, irrefutable way of knowing this. Sales metrics and figures, sure, if you wanna be a fucking corpo-pig about it - but that's not gonna measure whether or not it 'clicks' with people and hooks them. I'd like to think so? But honestly Hasbro seems less concerned with trying to bring in any new fans and just catering to the ones they already have. Which like, yeah, short term profits in the eyes of those aforementioned corpo-pigs. But what are they gonna do when this generation of Transformers fans dies off? Are the kids they're trying to reach now with stuff like Cyberverse and the Netflix trilogy gonna stay aboard long enough to make up for it? Will the new movies bring in people? Only time will tell. At this point it's anybody's guess.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Well duh. A successful brand will always have old and new fans. It couldn't survive financially without new ones. :) 

14. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yes, but a good chunk of new fans are children of parents who were fans. How many new fans, that had little to no previous exposure to the brand, is TF making? that is what I want to know.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 DYNAZENON! BATTLE GO!

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well, I'm one of those fans. I just happened to watch the 2007 movie when I was 3.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    So? What's your point? People become fans of something in all kinds of different ways. Why should it matter if they were watching it on TV of their own volition, got a cool toy at the store, or got introduced to it by someone else? If they get hooked and love it, it counts just the same.

17. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm asking a very specific question. Like I said in the very first post, Hasbro cannot solely depend on long time fans and their children. As a business you want to attract as much new business as possible and I'm wondering if what Hasbro has been doing in the past few years is working. Granted, this forum is a small percentage of the actual fandom but to know that some have organically become fans on their own is a sign that, while long time fans are getting tired of the "same ol G1" to those who are just getting introduced to the product it's fun for them.

18. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Another question we may need to ask in order to get proper results is "Are new TF fans going to come to message boards like this?" I know plenty of fans of things that are only "in the fandom" on facebook, twitter, discord, etc. As much as it makes me feel old, we gotta admit that dedicated forums are not the majority of fandom space as it used to be.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gee Won 1984

You do make a good point. If Big Tech is broken up to prevent monopolies and stop other questionable things places like Facebook and Twitter do, and more options exist, then that might shake things up a bit though as people leave those sites for new ones. This is a place more for die hard fans that has been here a long time, old faithful, the social media sites are more for people who kind of like something so they follow it along with their other interests, it does make things easy. I think tfw2005 boards are still relevant, a large amount of people who use social media for one stop shopping on everything don't read or understand the fine print on how their info is monitored and sold around the world, and everything there is in a censored bubble approved by the company alone with no oversight. So many choose to not use them now, making having this message board a great thing.