Is the 2001 RID Cartoon Any Good?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Nov 18, 2016.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Sorry this is a little off topic but that's actually NOT typical anime. The reason for that is mostly because of Pok'emon. In that show it actually makes sense why they yell out their attacks because the one actually doing the attacking is receiving orders from a trainer who does the yelling of attacks. Pok'emon was really popular at the time so other shows tried to copy the same formula... even when it didn't make any sense. Digimon for example being really similar but the monsters shout out their own attacks. Anyway, since RID1 was made during that time of trying to cash in on the popularity of Pok'emon they also did the attack shouting thing.

Anime since then has figured out that having characters constantly shouting their attacks at their enemies isn't what made anime popular. Mostly because of people making fun of that Anime trope. If you want to see what really made anime so popular then you need to look away from the kids anime.

I would recommend Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (it starts off almost the same as the first series but ends up completely different by the end.) or Death Note. If you don't mind seeing some animated nudity also try Elfin Lied. None of the stupid stuff like shouting attacks that normally ruins the kids shows. These are the typical standard for Anime but the general public doesn't really know about them because they all contain scenes of bloody violence that might be too intense for younger viewers. Because cartoons are still viewed by the vast majority as kids shows, anything with adult content is kept swept under the rug and then it looks like shouting your attacks is the norm when it's really not.

2. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A TON of robot anime, especially series that skew younger, have characters shouting attacks and stock footage transformation/combination sequences.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

they were both trucks, but not the same model of truck

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

They're both flat front big rigs, seems like the same model to me... except Motormaster has that extra section on top with a second set of windshields. I never really understood why that was there, I've never seen a real truck that had that. I don't even know what to call that. But if you ignore that section it's the same as Optimus.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Dragon Ball predates Pokemon by what... a decade? Yuyu Hakusho, Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya...all the Super Robots of the early-1980s/late-1970s... Mazinger Z predates Pokemon by almost 25 years. Face it, announcing your attack is a Japanese thing, and has been extremely common in Japanese comics and cartoons aimed at kids for a lot longer than Pokemon has been around. It's true that not all anime is aimed at young children, but it's a little disingenuous to pretend announcing your attack isn't still pretty common in battle manga/anime.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Nope
    besides the extra section on top he also had a extra compartment in the back of the cab....the cab is bigger because those compartments are a sleeping area for the driver

Motermasters alt mode was a Kenworth K100 Aerodyne sleeper truck

Optimus Primes alt mode was a Freightliner FL86 or 96in cab Semi-Trailer Truck

• Like Like x 1
  7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Actually Motormaster does not have any extra compartment in the back. Although I did forget to mention that he also doesn't have smoke stacks.

I looked this up and I did find trucks that look like Motormaster... which again I've never seen before but at least now I understand where the design for his roof came from. In the same search results I also found trucks that look more like Optimus Prime... oddly even right down to having the same color scheme.

Technically the semi-trailer part of that is referring to the box he's pulling not the truck itself. Motormaster also has a semi-trailer.

Also I'd just like to point out that Motormaster should be A LOT larger than Optimus Prime. Their vehicle modes are about the same size with Motormaster being a little taller thanks to that added roof section. However Optimus' robot mode is formed only by the truck cab. Motormasters truck cab only forms his feet while the rest of his body is formed by the trailer. Thank you G1 mass shifting.

8. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Didn't you serve as a commentator and consultant on the UK dvd release?

9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    DB, Saint Seiya... memories :)  Fist of the north star was weird though, that was some gory stuff.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Hard to believe they all came from the same comic book at the same time...

11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I never knew they originated from a comic book, i just watched the cartoons.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Shonen Jump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That second cover was the first issue with Saint Seiya in it, by the way. Good memories.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Well, I finally watched the subtitled version a while back, and the shortest answer I can give to OP's question is "no".

The long answer? My attitude towards Car Robots has a lot to do with what happened between it and Victory; the Braves. While they are all technically aimed at the same demographic, even at their worst, the Brave shows were miles better than Victory. They were probably even better than Car Robots.

I think what probably counts so much against both Victory and Car Robots has to do with the villains. See, very few Brave villains got made into toys, so unlike Transformers, the bad guys didn't need to push the toy agenda. The villains in Brave were usually some kind of aliens from outer space, humans utilizing mechas that would last one episode, or both; in either case, they were much more of a "monster of the week" format than Transformers, similar to the super robot shows of old. However, in both Victory and Car Robots, the characterization resulting from the necessity of selling toys made the villains look incompetent and the heroes annoying. In Victory the Autobots have pretty much no personality at all, and by all means Car Robots should be worse because they do get personlities but they're all freakin' stupid and two-dimensional. Then maybe, the only reason Car Robots remains slightly more entertaining than Victory is because at least the plots aren't painfully repetitive.

It doesn't help that coming after something like GaoGaiGar, Car Robots is one hell of a cold shower.

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nah, that was the Japanese G1 shows, I just wrote the character profiles for RID!

15. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scourge and Nemesis Prime are the same character, not the same version but the same character none the less. At least that's how it goes in the Japanese version of Armada. He was named Scourge, the American version changed the name to Nemesis Prime (or is it the other way around? I read Armada was aired earlier than Micron Dentetsu, so maybe it was a last minute change in the MD version.)

16. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Here are the versions of names to solve some confusion:

CR: Black Convoy
    RiD: Scourge
    ML: Scourge
    A: Nemesis Prime

17. TFFan01

News Credits:
    Also in the Energon pack-in manga, there was a black Optimus look alike named Grand Scourge, so this means there's actually two Scourges in the Armada Continuity.

18. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Well I figured that since the conversation at the time was about Armada and RiD Scourge, I could leave Grand Scourge out of my list of names. He was never given an English name anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TFFan01

News Credits:
    It's interesting that the creators of the manga decided to use the name of the American version of the character rather than the Japanese version.

20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I was going to respond to this but I see someone already beat me to it. The weird thing is I had this same conversation with someone on YouTube a few days ago.

It's kind of confusing because in Japan the characters are Black Convoy and Scourge but in America the characters are Scourge and Nemesis Prime. This is another reason why people should stop going back and forth on American and Japanese names when talking about Robots in Disguise/Car Robots. Stick with the English names unless it's relevant to the conversation. It's confusing to just randomly blurt out their Japanese names cause most people in the U.S. don't know what the hell you're talking about.

The most confusing thing of all... Spike, Cerebros, Fortress Maximus for the U.S. G1 cartoon. Cerebros, Fortress, Fortress Maximus for the Japanese Headmasters cartoon. Emissary, Cerebros, Fortress Maximus for the Titans Return toy line. Cerebros, Emissary, Fortress Maximus for Robots in Disguise 2001. Plasma, Brave, Brave Maximus for Car Robots. I've heard so many people use the Japanese name Brave Maximus when talking about the American cartoon and then using the G1 names which are reversed to refer to the Headmaster components for the RID characters. You really need to use the right names for the correct version of Transformers that you're talking about because it's confusing enough getting the names all mixed up enough as it is without having people constantly using the wrong names for characters and mixing them up with completely different incarnations of that character. I mean we have these acronyms for a reason so if I say G1 Cerebros you'll know who I'm talking about but if I just randomly say Cerebros to refer to RID Emissary how is anyone suppose to know which one I'm actually talking about? If you're going to use the Japanese names you should really do that with the Headmasters cause they actually have completely different names instead of just being reversed. I don't need to head Brave instead of Fortress to know you're talking about the RID character. You can just say RID Fort Max. He was never called Brave Maximus in the English dub so that just adds to an already confusing mess of names when you refer to the RID character by that name.

The whole Black Convoy/Scourge vs. Scourge/Nemesis Prime thing is also confusing but it's a little less confusing since I don't often hear people referring to the Armada character by his Japanese name. Plus because there are other characters named Scourge people are more likely to clearly identify which one they're talking about. With Cerebros/Emissary I've seen entire conversions where people were talking about entirely different characters without even realizing it because neither side clarified which incarnation of the characters they were referring to. Or one side just plane reveres the names on the wrong version of the characters while the other was using the correct names.

• Like Like x 1