Is the 2001 RID Cartoon Any Good?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Nov 18, 2016.

1. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

I see Nemesis Prime is a character in it... So i was sold right there, but is the show any good?

2. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    RID lesson #1: It's Scourge, he's far more cooler than Nemesis Prime.

As for the show, I found the Predacons a bit annoying at times but overall I've enjoyed the series.

3. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

What is the difference between Scourge and Nemesis? I always thought they were the same!

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    The Nemesis Prime name didn't come into use until the following series, Transformers Armada.

Another major difference is portrayal. Nemesis Prime has historically been a straight up dark Optimus Prime clone in design appearance. RID Scourge had a completely separate body design and alt mode from RID Optimus Prime.

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Technically there are THREE Evil Black Optimus Primes. The original was Motormaster. His robot mode doesn't really look like Optimus but they share the same vehicle mode and Optimus even went under cover disguised as Motormaster in one episode of the G1 cartoon. There was also a toy that was called Motorbreath because I guess they lost the rights to Motormaster at the time who was just a straight up black repaint of an Optimus Prime toy.

Anyway, I think Nemesis Prime is the best name for an Evil Black Optimus Prime but the two I've seen with that name were Sideways in Armada for one episode and Silas in Transformers Prime, again for one episode. Neither of them really had a personality of their own since they were essentially puppets controlled by other characters.

Scourge is honestly the most interesting evil black Optimus Prime because unlike Nemesis or Motormaster he actually gets a lot of focus as a main villain on the show. The name doesn't really fit him cause normally when you hear Scourge you think of the G1 character or the dragon in Transformers Cybertron. Scourge doesn't really scream evil black Optimus Prime.

Despite being a poorly chosen reuse of a name just to keep the trade mark. Some of the reasons why he's the best evil black Optimus Prime...

1. There's actually a good reason why he looks like Optimus Prime. Scourge originally started out as a Protoform and while the Predacons were scanning alt modes for the Decepticons, Scourge's stasis pod accidentally scanned Optimus Prime along with a tanker truck and human driver of said tanker truck. He ended up with the tanker truck as his vehicle mode but also ended up with a robot mode that made him look like a clone of Optimus Prime.

2. They don't realize it right away because it doesn't effect his physical features but later in the series they realize that because of the human truck driver he scanned that Scourge is also part human.

3. Scourge HATES being a partly human Optimus Prime clone... Except when he figures out ways to use it to his advantage.

4. Scourge has a very interesting rivalry with Sky-Byte. I don't want to give too much away but basically Sky-Byte was Megatron's second in command and he believes that Scourge is trying to take over his job.

5. With combiners there is usually one member, typically the torso who leads the team. However with Ruination rather than being lead by Mega-Octane, their leader is actually Scourge, a character who doesn't even combine with them. Scourge has command over bots much larger than he is.

6. Despite the fact that no one in the cartoon actually have Decepticon insignias, Scourge and the five guys who form Ruination are said to be the first Decepticons. In this universe apparently everyone else on Cybertron is a Predacon. Another thing to note here is that Megatron is a Predacon but when he becomes Galvatron he says that he's become a Decepticon. The difference between the two in this universe is that Decepticons are much more powerful that Predacons and when one of the Decepticons almost scanned a hawk instead of a space shuttle it was said that if he hadn't of missed the hawk that he would of been another Predacon. So it's heavily implied that all Predacons have beast modes and all Decepticons have vehicle modes. Megatron/Galvatron gets away with switching between the two because in his 6/10 modes he has both beasts and vehicles at which point his power level determines which side he's on.

7. Being that Decepticons are more powerful than Predacons this means that Scourge is actually more powerful than Megatron. And he does for a while act as a sort of Starscream type character secretly plotting against Megatron while being a kiss up to his face. And technically since G1 Starscream was never that subtle, Scourge was doing this before Starscream. He's also far more competent than Starscream. If it wasn't for Galvatron he might of actually succeeded.

All this being said, RID1 is personally one of my favorite series. It's the next best thing after the Beast Era. The only thing that really bugs me about it is the fact that Optimus Prime and Megatron/Galvatron rarely ever leave their respective bases. They spend most of the series sending out select teams to do most of the work while they stand around (Optimus Prime) or sit on his throne (Megatron/Galvatron) doing nothing. The few times they do actually leave their respective bases to help with the fighting it's awesome. I love the designs of both characters in this show. Omega Prime I think is also the best combiner mode of any Optimus Prime to combine with other characters. Again, rarely seen, but when it does happen, it's freaking awesome! It's kind of weird that despite being a good series with great character designs that personality wise it also has the worse incarnations of Optimus and Megatron. As long as you can get passed how freaking lazy the leaders are you'll love this series.

• Like Like x 3
  6. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

There also was a Black Lio Convoy in Beast Wars II. He appeared in one episode and had an personality.

7. G1Generation

G1Generation Well-Known Member

I enjoyed RiD (2001)/Car Robots. Sky-byte was funny, and it endearingly weird.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    You have to have a taste for the comedy, but if that doesnt put you off you'll enjoy it
    There are some original ideas in there:
    The backstory for the Decepticons and Brave Maximus, Ultra Magnus being a total SOB and there are some idiotic things in there: in the end Gigatron tries to harness the power of childrens belief that good will always triumph :( 
    But overall its an enjoyable show who's stron points imo are Scourge, the Combatrons, T-ai - Sideburn, Ultra Magnus ans Skybyte.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I honestly think it's pretty overrated around here. It's mostly just worth watching for the comedic timing and the fun.

10. kurochan_24

kurochan_24 Well-Known Member

Sky-Byte is the best character of the show.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's very light in tone (VERY light) and skews young. The storylines are pretty simple and get stretched a bit too long. That said, the characters are enjoyable, and the toyline was fantastic. As long as you don't go into it expecting it to be on the level of things like Beast Wars or Animated, you can have fun watching it. I'm actually in the middle of rewatching the subtitled version of Car Robots that a member here helped fansub right now.

I agree with people who say Sky-Byte is probably the highlight of the show.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I wasn't counting Japanese only characters. The names almost always get changed when going over seas so we don't really know what he would of been called if he ever got imported to the U.S. Though we actually have gotten some Lio Convoy homages here as Leo Prime. I don't know why they didn't use Primal cause I think all the beast characters should be Primal instead of Prime. Anyway, it's highly doubtful that an American version would just be called Black Leo Prime.

You keep going back and forth between using American and Japanese names. Will you just pick one and stick with it. That's kind of confusing.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    To be fair, most of the names are interchangeable, with the exception of those who use classic names but clearly aren't repeat characters from other series, like Fire Convoy, God Magnus, and Gigatron. But for Sky-Byte, the Autobot Bros., the Build Team, the Commandos, Scourge, the trains, etc., it hardly matters which names you use. And as someone pointed out in the Baldigus comic thread, a sizable portion of the fandom has for some reason latched onto the Brave Maximus name even if they are only fans of the English version of the cartoon. We're just weird like that.

14. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't stand most anime, but I'd go so far as to say I actually liked RID. It made me laugh. I enjoyed Peter Spellos as Sky-Byte and Wankus as Prowl.

Still hate the vogue posing and the characters shouting out the names of their attacks before they do them, but that's typical anime I suppose.

15. Reask

Reask Predacon

I never finished it, but I liked some of it whenever it was being more of a comedy, but I found what I watched to just be okay. Scourge was easily the highlight however, that was how you did an interesting clone of Prime while maintaining him as a separate personality. I had the Megatron and Optimus RID toys as a kid, and as far as TF toys went I thought they were pretty awesome, especially Megatron with his multiple modes and two dragon heads. However Megatron in the show itself was meh. Prime was still as good as always though. The Predacons were okay comic relief but Sky-Byte was certainly the more interesting one of the five. The main human kid character... he doesn't get a lot of screentime. The poor unfortunate victim character, Kelly, got more screentime, but she was the more interesting character even if she contributed nothing but being a stand in for Waspinator.

The bullet trains certainly gave the show a punch, but the biggest problem with conflict in the show: The Autobots outnumbered the Predacons and Decepticons like 5 to 1. It should have ended in a few episodes. Also there were several terrible clip shows, and the Autobot Tow-Line got annoying fast. It was nice to hear Daran Norris (Knock Out) as Heavy Load, but I stopped watching around episode 20 and didn't have the motivation to go further.

Overall I'd say it was better than the Unicron Trilogy, but not by too much. I just wish they released it in the USA already so most wouldn't have to deal with rare and expensive UK DVDs.

16. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, you *know* if "Nemesis Prime" had been trademarked back when the show was made, he would totally have been called that.

It's a very light show. There's no particular depth of characterisation, but it is funny, and several characters are memorable for that reason. It grows a proper, actual ongoing plot about two-thirds of the way in which is enough to carry it to the end. It's certainly the least "essential" Transformers cartoon, next to the current RID.

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The show is fairly enjoyable and has endearing characters, but it carries the typical anime trademarks and its plot is rather episodic and simple.

Speaking for myself, I enjoyed it immensely.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't care for this RID series but Scourge is awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    For me, the only aspects which made it bearable were Sky-Byte and to a lesser degree Side-Burn. Even Scourge did nothing for me, so I can't encourage you to go after the show.

20. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

I find it to be an enjoyable show. It's not amazing and there certainly are better TF shows, but you will probably enjoy it.