Is SS ‘86 Grimlock shelf warming?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Indy2006, Apr 10, 2021.

1. gdg104198

gdg104198 Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    haven’t seen him at any stores near me (or any SS86 figures) but he’s 50 bucks. once retail stores do sales I suspect he’ll go fast.

we live in New York but lived in rural Michigan during the summer and I could find pretty much everybody at the big box stores there. might be a regional thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
  2. Radioguy

Radioguy Hair's always frizzy

NYC's a madhouse.

3. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

My local Walmart has a bunch of studio 86 Grimlocks while the rest of the transformers section is pretty much gone.

Sure what I'm saying is ancetodal but it lines up with the message of this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overstocked severely

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Like a former presidential candidate once said, there are two Americas. There's this mythical wonderland where desirable toys are piled to the ceiling and then there's the People's Republic of Fucksylvania.

It's stupid that SS86 Grimlock went on sale on Best Buy's website but only for store pickup at locations that from what I can tell never put stock on shelves.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Megatron Unicronus

Megatron Unicronus Daring to be Stupid

News Credits:
    Yes, he is. He’ll definitely get rare though, once the rest of the Dinobots are revealed/released. I have a feeling this will be a repeat of Earthrise Scorponok...

7. gdg104198

Instagram:
    I went to forbidden planet today with my kid and we saw just Kingdom and Cyberverse deluxes. And everything was marked up a few bucks.

Probably. People will probably snatch him up when once Slag is released.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
  8. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Part of it is that people who wanted him the most got him online due to the figure not showing up in stores until around February. If people hadn’t ordered the figure online, I’m sure the figure would be hard to find.
    Also, this is not shelfwarming in the slightest. DOTM served as a reminder of what that looks like.

9. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Evil Warrior of Talking

News Credits:
    No, I think we was just over-shipped. He was a solid packed 2x case.

Even with that, I still see many of the stacks disappearing after a few weeks.

10. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    This seems like conventional wisdom here, but is anybody waiting to buy Grimlock until they see if the other dinobots are coming out? If there's one dinobot people would probably be most likely to buy solo, I'd think it'd be Grimlock.

11. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    2021 standards - if you can actually find a figure, it counts as shelfwarming.

The Bee/Spike 2 pack disappeared pretty quick here, but the rest of Buzzworthy is readily available. It's not shelfwarming though - it's usually different stock.

• Like Like x 2
  12. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    :( 
    I'm astonished that set sold through (but it did here too), seemed pretty overpriced even by current Hasbro standards.

13. gdg104198

Instagram:
    bunch of people keep asking if they will do all of them. And a lot of G1 stuff is coming out quick and fast. I could see people dragging their feet on Grimlock while they get other figures from War for Cybertron and Studioseries.

Also PotP Grimlock wasn’t that long ago and Takara just did a cartoon influenced repaint. So people might just be happy with that as their Grimlock and Dinobots for the moment.

14. Radioguy

Don't blame them. Their overhead is higher for the location they are trying to stay in, and the truth is they almost went under a few months ago. They were actually taking donations to stay afloat.

The fact you were able to bring your kid there, was why I chipped in a few myself. I was once that kid, and would like my future kid to see the place too.

That aside, did you turn around and see what was in the glass case too?

15. gdg104198

Instagram:
    I’ve seen Voyager Earthrise Starscreams “shelfwarm” at some stores.
    oh I know. I bought a bunch of graphic novel from them over the summer . They seem to be doing better now that got their online business running more smoothly. But FP was my store for my first 10 years in NY. I’ve been supporting a local store since I moved to Queens.

I saw some Selects figures in one of the glass cases. I was looking around to see if they had a Unicron.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Radioguy

Good on you. I don't live around the corner from FP myself, but keep finding an excuse to go there.

I doubt they'd get a Unicron unless it was from a collector (unless Diamond has had it). Glad you saw the case. The prices are pretty much MSRP for the selects, but some of them are older, and could justify a higher price point than they are marked as. The original G1-boxed Ecto-1 is the same deal.

The vintage Macross stuff they have right now is lovely. I wish I had that Bandai Valkyrie, but it's not in the cards atm.

17. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

My Target had four Grimlocks and probably 20 Hot Rods. Someone out there has a ton of Sweeps.

18. raisethe3

raisethe3 Well-Known Member

The distribution is terrible this year.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Radioguy

When it comes to Target, I don't get how high volume stores in major cities get stock quantity that some rural store should have, and vice versa. It hurts sales, and invites scalping.

In the current state, I wish they did ship from store, or store transfers. That would be somewhat of a fix. Wish the same with Walmart.

20. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, figures are not supposed to fly off the shelves overnight, especially leader class figures that don't have a supporting cartoon or video game plugging them to children. If these are still clogging shelves in June, I'll be open to the "SW" label.

• Like Like x 1