Is Sky Lynx worth getting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, May 6, 2021.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    Well after seeing a lot of photos here and there on the Earthrise Class Sky Lynx I have to ask is he worth getting?

Looks like the Earthrise Version is a vast improvement over the Combiner Wars version and he's the one Transformer right now I'm considering looking into getting the G1 Version.

SkyLynx1a.jpg

Always thought he was a weird one but the Shuttle Mode looks awesome to me and since I'm a fan of Space Exploration he's a must get to me and I'd love to get that one this month before the price goes up on this figure too and I can fit him into the budget for the month but I wonder if he's worth paying almost $90 for and I do like that there's an Amazon Exclusive that looks great with Sky Lynx that's another Space Exploration themed Transformer.....

Transformers with Space Shuttle Modes always appeal to me.

SkyLynx1afs.jpg

I know Sky Lynx will fit into this collection fine but feels like I need to get him this month since he'll go great with Titan Omega Supreme.

Is he worth getting?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Sky Lynx is a unique dude. If you want what he is, the Earthrise version does an excellent job of being that.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Evac

Evac decepticons era

News Credits:
    he and scorponok was my 2020 figure of the year

• Like Like x 1
  4. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    So a few thoughts, skylynx commander class is worth getting he displays well, he is fun to transform, his base mode is alright. next up voyager skylynx great toy, way out of scale, combiner mode looks great, G1 this toy still looks good today, yes its dated but its still a good toy on top of that his g1 and encore toy both have the walking feature which to this day has a wow factor.

honestly though get the commander if you can at a good price then go get the g1, keeping in mind that skylynx is one of the very few toys that was originally gonna be a zoid i think

6. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To give you an idea:Between Jetfire and Sky Lynx, I'd go with Sky Lynx without hesitation, and that's as a Jetfire fan.

The only annoyances are 1) that the wings had issues and kept popping off on mine and I ended up having to do a serious fix to lock those mushrooms pegs in place, and 2) the side panels of the Lynx that does the base mode should have been a clicking/locking snap or such and NOT a freaking weak peg, so I've had to floor polish the hell out of it to stop the side from getting out and folding over as I moved it.

But that said, he is a great figure, fun to play with, fun to use with the other figures, he ends up having a lot of personality du to his articulation.

I did a whole chapter dedicated to him... and every time I play with it, I simply love him.

True Origins....

• Like Like x 1
  7. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always thought Sky Lynx was goofy but the Earthrise Commander seemed quite enticing. I went for it and he was up there as one of my favorites of 2020. He is definitely worth it!

8. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

A very fun figure with a lot of great hidden storage, 5mm ports, articulated limbs and heads, base mode connections and roads, cool accessories, blast effect parts, and of course... He's Magnificent. :) 

As mentioned above, his wings are kind of a hot mess. The mushroom pegs are really loose, which helps avoid breaking him in a fall but it's not great for posability. The unfolding parts of his wings barely tab into each other and have no real force keeping them up so a stray breeze will make them want to collapse. People mention putting furniture polish on some of these parts to make them stick better but I've never tried it. In this pic one of his wings is touching the wall and the other one is out of frame ;) 

piraten_6.jpg

His tail has one unpinned segment so it can pop off if it gets annoying (it will) but it also gets annoying by popping off. It's fairly posable and looks nice, though. I dislike the G1 toy accurate gimmick of the rear thruster plate kind of louvering to the side and would rather if it broke apart into two hemispheres with a vertical gap to let the tail out. The asymmetry bugs my bolts.

Lynx's rear legs are barely attached to his body by loose, trapezoid-shaped pegs and provide no real attachment; they're more of a guide. Again, people suggest putting furniture polish or floor wax on these. Some of his leg and foot ratchets are much stronger than others, but he holds up a decent amount of weight.

ax_ride1.jpg

In Space Shuttle mode, his wings attach to the rear part of the body via these rectangular friction pegs that are eventually going to wear out and it won't be easy to reinforce them. Not my favorite engineering there either--but for now they're holding up mosly OK except that the wing tips want to point a few degrees upward due to the condition of these pegs.

The head and neck feel really solid and posable. He has a ton of expressiveness via the positioning of his head, mouth, and tongue, and you can attach effect parts to both Sky and Lynx's tongues for photos.

ax_ride2.jpg

Honestly, his base mode feels kind of sloppy and not great, with roads that mostly lead to nothing and aren't even really wide enough for Micro Masters. But oh well. It's fun to connect modulator junk onto him and attach other figure's weapons onto the feet push the little dudes around, har har. My daughter hides the other figures' weapons inside him and makes him break up the fights!

ModuCity.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He is pure joy in plastic form IMO. If you can get him for retail or less, I'd say go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. B3k

B3k Well-Known Member

I'd say easily the best commander class so far. Not exactly a fancy of complex tf but really fun to transform and looks amazing, a few minor QC issues with the wings poping off but nothing that can't be fixed.

11. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Do penguins wish they could fly?

• Like Like x 1
  12. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

I've always thought Skylynx was goofy and didn't fit aesthetically with the majority of my collection, and I had no nostalgic attachment since I never had him as a kid. With all that said, get him now before the price goes up further. It was my most pleasant surprise last year of bots that I initially wasn't going to get but gave a shot. I'm glad I did - it's probably one of the best releases of last year.

13. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Smokie's #1 Guy

News Credits:
    Yes, he is the best commander class figure yet, kicks Skyfire's ass.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Skylynx in the best thing to come out of WFC, he makes Jetfire look like a bad attempt at a commander class.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Sky Lynx was a design that always interested me, and I was also curious about this new Commander class, so when a local shop had stocks I went ahead and bought one. One of my favorite purchases from last year. He's big, and with a good amount of articulation that makes him really expressive. His multiple modes add to his playability.
    My only real complaint is making the bird mode stand is difficult. I seem to have lucked out on the wings since I've had no issues with them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

Yes he is worth getting. Big, very articulate, fun etc. If he's not your priority, I would add it to your Amazon cart and play the waiting game. Sometimes it goes back in stock for MSRP $79.99.

I was on the fence until I saw him drop below retail. I got mine from Amazon warehouse "used like new in original packaging." for $60 after tax. It came new sealed with a slightly crushed corner.

Official Sales, Deals, and Coupons Thread

A great figure even at $80. I wouldn't wait too long because it's getting harder to find even at $80.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Yes. Get sky lynx!

18. Houstonian Prime

Houstonian Prime skilled tradesman

News Credits:
    to sum it up in one word...
    20210507_094107.jpg