Is Sideswipe & Sideways a bad idea for wave 1?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Macross7, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems just wave 1 of ROTF toys hit around here. I did find one thing strange that Sideswipe & Sideways are in that wave. Both are silver/grey cars & their names are very similar. Doesn't Hasbro always say they don't want confusion in stores because apparently, they think parents & kids are too stupid to figure out they are different? Isn't putting Sideswipe & Sideways out at the same time going to lead to some people not realizing they are the same. People might pass over one thinking their kid has the silver car & not realizing it is a different TF. Some people might buy the same one twice, leading to returns. If it is open, then that is a figure that gets sent back to Hasbro & is lost $$. Maybe have put one of the twins (brown or green car) or Jolt (blue car) in wave 1 & put the other silver car in the later wave.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's better than putting them in different waves. Now people can see the two next together and see the differences. If one of them popped up in a future wave with no comparison, people would think it was the same more quickly.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Well, I asked someone to pick me up Sideswipe, telling them he was the silver car, and they bought me home both Sideswipe and Sideways because they couldn't remember which I said. Both being silver cars doesn't help, but having 'Side' at the start of their names can confuse people too.
    It is a little boring that they both have all that silver on them. I do really wish BayFormers could use far less grey/Silver on everything.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the same thing. They should have been split.

5. Magnimus

Magnimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It gives kids a new "good car" and a new "bad car" to fight each other until the next waves come out with more prominent movie characters that until now kids probably won't be familiar with but after the movie is out will be more interested in.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jolt, Skids or Mudflap would fit the 'good guy' requirement. Sidewswipe is getting a lot of toys & is featured in various items (books/games/etc.) so he must be pretty prominent. Jolt doesn't seem to be getting a lot of press (which leads me to think he isn't in it that much) so he might have been the better choice if Hasbro wants to keep the more prominent characters for when the movie is out.

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Yeah, it was an odd choice. Not like there's a shortage of alternatives that could have been used for one of the. Or even just the red "this is what he should have looked like to begin with" version of Sideswipe.

8. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty big TF fan,and when I first saw them at Target,I thought they were the same guy. I've been avoiding movie related news in case of spoilers,so I didn't realise Sideways was in it.

Of course,a minute into my peg rummaging,I noticed them again and saw they were different,but what parent is going to give it that much thought?

9. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's sort of confusing, but it's all simplified by having one be an Autobot and the other be a Decepticon.

I do think it's funny how RH Sideways is black, though.

10. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    hmmm.. nah I'd rather have Skids and Flaps.

11. Sapphire-Light

Sapphire-Light Red sports car

News Credits:
    Yeah, is confusing, at least they could gave one of them a painted stripe or something like that.

But wonder if in the battles one of the autobots shots Sideswipe tinking he is Sideways or vice-versa with the 'cons. :lol 

12. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    They probably can't even tell themselves apart.

13. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    WEll my personal preference i think Sideways looks way cooler then sideswipe.... so i bought sideways...really wish i had wave 1 and 2 come out at the same time

14. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    :lol 

"GUH, THIS SIDE GOES WHERE?!"

15. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    My sister spotted the difference almost immediately when we were looking through bins at toys r us for perfectly painted deluxes.

"Red windows (sideways) or Blue windows (sideswipe)"

So when sending people out to hunt down toys for you Just mention the color of the windows.

16. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Now you're getting technical. I asked my other sister to pick me up Universe Sideswipe a while back from the shop she works at and she came home empty handed. She said they only had red ones and she thought only Optimus Prime was 'the red one'. Certainly was facepalm-worthy.