Is Shockwave Grimlock's definitive rival/nemesis?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Isn't Grimlock (and the other Dinobots)'s rival supposed to be Devastator? I know that they fought Shockwave in Marvel and IDW and had origins tied to him in FOC, but in toy commercials and the Sunbow cartoon they were always put against one another. I always thought that it was Dinobots/Constructions in the same way that it was Aerialbots/Stunticons, Protectobots/Combaticons, Technobots/Terrorcons and Sky Lynx/Predacons.

2. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Although I do like Grimlock vs Shockwave, as squad, it was always Dinobots vs Constructicons/Devastator. I think Prowl works as good counterpart to Shockwave. I like how the Dinobots were an escaped experiment in FoC.

3. BR3AKDOWN

BR3AKDOWN Stunticon Trooper

Never thought of it that way. Now that I look back at the IDW comics and especially FoC, Shockwave and Grimlock do seem to have beef. They contrast nicely as characters what with Shockwave being logical and a thinker and Grimlock being aggressive and brutish.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    I'd like to think the Constructions are the Dinobot's rivals due to that kickass fight scene in the '86 movie between Devastator and the Dinobots.

5. Beta Maximus

Beta Maximus Well-Known Member

I go with grimlock and shockwave are personal rivals, but as a group, the dinobots face off against the constructicons. All the dinobots hate shockwave, but for grimlock it's an obsession.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I wouldn't say so, not really. Grimlock and the Dinobots' story often starts with Shockwave, but it rarely ends with him. They don't typically get a big "defeat the big bad that humbled them" showdown rematch with him. Aligned pushed it a bit more by making him responsible for their beast modes, but all it amounted to was "Grimlock's revenge is the reason Shockwave only has one hand." Which is neat, but the characters' journeys don't feel like they've climaxed at that point. Their rivalry doesn't really extend past that first conflict, so it's hard to think of them as nemeses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

You might be misremembering the toy commercials

There were many Dinobot toy, and in each they would put it against a different group, It wasn’t always the green boys

One commercial had them Fighting sound wave and a group of cons

Another commercial had them up against the predaacons

Another commercial had them up against the Insectacons

8. Tinbot

Tinbot Striving for lvl 99

I don’t think they are rivals, as such anyway. For rivalry there has to be acknowledgement and a need to outdo/best/defeat the other.

That simply doesn’t exist for shockwave, all there is to him is the next obstacle to be removed or overcome.

Certainly Grimlock May feel that way, but it’s just not reciprocated and it makes me think of the Joker in the (Scandanavian building blocks) Batman movie.......

If anything, in the modern continuity, Soundwave appears to be more of a rival with a vested interest in thwarting Shockwave.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well that's true the most part, because Grimlock and The Dinobots don't always very Shockwave as a rival, they mostly view him as another speed bump in their way.

Well Grimlock didn't view Shockwave to had a Hero/Villain Relationship to that of Batman's/Joker's in The LEGO Batman Movie.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Denmark is in Scandinavia.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ha, missed this message... two years ago.

Did you finish the UK run yet? Belated answer to your question, I liked the whole of the UK run. But my favourite... part/aspect of it is when Target 2006 starts and it's an overarching story which ends with Time Wars. The bit I liked about it the most is it links the Marvel US Comics continuity with the Cartoon Continuity (TFTM) to the Marvel UK comics continuity.

Rodimus Prime (TFTM/Marvel UK) chatting with Powermaster Optimus Prime (Marvel US) and all the rest? Plus all the carnage at the end! Alas, poor Rack n' Ruin, how I miss them so.

12. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

You go by some of the comics, Scorponok is clearly Grimlock's nemesis. It's been a big part of the IDW universe, and Regeneration 1 had a big focus on that as well.

13. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I feel like Grimlock's arch nemesis should be Shockwave over Skorponok. It just makes more sense for a scientist to outsmart the brute.

14. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

I always saw Scorponok as his rival, they're just so diametrically opposed in personality but similar in actions that it makes for good dialogue and conflict. Grimlock only speaks when he needs to, he's a bit of a jerk but a good guy who uses his immense strength for good. Scorponok on the other hand loves the sound of his own voice, is blessed with both brute strength and genius and an extreme lack of care for anyone but himself. They also attempted to seize control of their respective factions, are powerhouses by cybertronian standards and lead teams of "unique" cybertronians.