Is ROTDS worth owning?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by LightningBlade3, Jun 30, 2014.

1. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    Obviously not now at full price, but when the inevitable price drop comes around, would it be?

2. Namekjohn

Namekjohn Namekimus Prime

News Credits:
    I'd say yes, when it drops at 19.99 I'll pick it up or steam sale at a lower price

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Hard to say.

$9.99 or cheaper (free game with gold?) would be tempting as a Transformer fan and a gamer. Anything more and I wouldn't go for it.

The Escalation maps don't really inspire much replayability, the campaign is largely tedious, the boxes are annoying, and the amount of glitches me and my friends have encountered in such a short time is disturbing.

If I missed it waiting for a low enough price, I would never lament it, I either get it super cheap or I don't get it and I can live with either.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's disappointing to hear, but on the other hand, I still haven't played FOC. So I'm a pretty expert waiter.

5. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Man the amount of glitches are awful.. You should wait for the price to drop and play FoC instead.

6. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    I love this game. The Cybertron sections looks beautiful and are wonderfully open but the Earth sections are bland like DotM. I got a good price on this game; £38 as opposed to £45+ so I'm happy.

The game is definitely worth owning since it expands on FoC but, it's not worth full retail price.

7. Primacronus

Primacronus Clean-Up Crew

News Credits:
    Please, for the sake of humanity forget the existence of this game and play FOC!

8. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Yeah he should really play FoC instead of RotDS. The escalation mode of RotDS is in my opinion the best we've ever gotten but the story of FoC is way better.

9. Primacronus

Primacronus Clean-Up Crew

News Credits:
    I actually think the WFC escalation, glitchy as it may have been, was the best. My reasons:
    -Unlimited waves. This was always my favorite part. The challenge of "how high can you go?" And "Fight till you die" seemed more fun than "15 waves then the game magically ends."
    -Bigger foes as the waves progress, tougher armor.
    -Multiple doors and bridges that could be opened, with each one leading to a new area with different weapons.
    -Teammates can help each other buy weapons to reduce the cost.
    -Grenades still existed.
    -Being a jet was useful, and allowed you to reach sniping positions others could not.
    -More special abilities unique to certain characters (warcry, omega missile, cloak, etc.)

WFC escalation with fixed issues and FOC/RotDS graphics would be amazing.

10. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    It has a decent campaign and the escalation is great if your not camping the spawn points. The campaign does a few bugs I ran into. Its worth it if you plan on playing the escalation a lot.

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No more than $20.

12. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Is it worth owning? Yes. At full price? No.

WFC escalation is still the gold standard for reasons stated above, but the escalation here is better than FoC escalation simply by virtue of the character selection and customizable abilities and hacks. The hacks, imho, save online escalation. Those campable spawn points are easily undone by engaging "exploding enemies" or "exploding headshots with more enemy health". This also means that you never know what type of game you might be jumping into. Especially since the hacks seem to stack if players have the same ones engaged. That said the old maps are better than the new ones.

My only main gripe with the game at the moment is the gear boxes. They want you to use the tech and hacks throughout the game, but they make them so painstakingly long to open to see what's inside. I'm still amazed this made it through play testing like this as in the future, I easily see many peoples' games having 100's of unopened gear boxes.

What's a fair price? I say wait a month, and it'll probably drop $20. It already wasn't a full priced title for the 360 too.

13. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

I've only cleared the 2nd chapter, but so far that game is a drastic step back from FoC...it's still pretty fun, mind you, but the story is just dull (and doesn't make any sense, as it's pretty much establishing a new continuity; the introduction of the Insecticons is the first thing that really stands out in this regard). One thing that sucks is I'm playing on Hard, and it's brutal. There's a point in Chapter 2 where you have to activate four consoles as Shockwave, and it's insanely hard to do it, because it's so easy to die while getting to each one - the most lethal obstacle is a small sentry drone that flies around, as not only is it hard to see coming, but it's also a small target and can kill you in less than two seconds if it hits you (and it's accuracy is pretty damn good). Took me about an hour for the section alone...

Still, I'm having some fun; looking forward to trying out Escalation after the campaign.

14. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I think I'm on Chapter 6 in the game now and for the most part it has been fun. The earth levels seem to be a lot more boring and of lower quality like most people have mentioned so far. I'm loving the Cybertron parts and wish they had just cut out any of the movie bits from this game.

Those sentry drones do a lot of damage on any difficult it seems. I'm only playing on normal and they can still kill me in a few seconds. Definitely my least favourite part of the game so far.

If it wasn't for the fact that I got the game during some special E3 sale at Best Buy (so it cost me around $45-48 CDN for the PS4 version) I wouldn't have bought it at release. It's fun but it's not at the same quality level as the previous 2 games. It's worth picking up at $30 or below as there's still some fun to be had in the campaign and Escalation.

15. Autobot Tool

Autobot Tool Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What glitches???? I just played the game from start to finish and had zero problems

16. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Mainly escalation when enemies get stuck but also on singleplayer where cutscenes are missing for me and a friend.

17. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Dont pay more then $10 for this game. Story is bland, and then super glitchy that i would crash at least twice a level. Its just a movie cash in game, avoid it.

18. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I picked it up last week on a whim.

The first level already has me regretting that.

19. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

The 3DS version of RotDS is pretty decent if you like strategy games.

20. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I played through the first and part of the second level and returned this game today for store credit. Out of all the video games I've bought, this is the only one I've ever brought back. It was boring, poor graphics, recycled weapons, and Drift's voice is terrible (sounded like Green Arrow with the harmonizer and uses the word "honor" every other sentence). Escalation requires getting random characters from boxes, so there's no telling when you'll get the one you want.
    Add in the fact that there's no PvP and this game isn't even worth a bargain bin price.