Is Rodimus better than Optimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Orbitalchaos, Feb 11, 2019.

?

Who do you think is a more compelling character?

1. Optimus

52.3%
  2. Rodimus

47.7%
  1. Orbitalchaos

Orbitalchaos Abnormal Space God

Instagram:
    Hello! I'd like to discuss something that's been on my mind for a while.

(G1) Rodimus Prime could possibly be a better overall character compared to Optimus, why? Rodimus was flawed and had various challenges to overcome before being a "good" leader. Optimus was pretty much perfect, he could do anything and never really had any personal struggles. I think this makes Rodimus a better and more compelling character.

We've seen Rodimus as a young bot who's been thrown into a dramatic dangerous situation and forced to take over, he's always felt guilty about being somewhat responsible for Optimus's death and never being able to live up to his glory. While it may have made him a terrible or bad leader, this made him a more interesting and in depth character and he improved overtime.

I think Rodimus could be a good character for kids because of this, he's young and through trail and error, self doubt, and other obstacles he grew into a capable autobot leader.

I've always loved prime and I was never a fan of Rodimus but after giving it a bit of thought I'm starting to think he was a more compelling character.

2. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    To say G1 cartoon Optimus was NOT flawed means you didn't watch the damn series.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Orbitalchaos

Instagram:
    He's never came off as flawed to me when it comes to his personality or even his actions. G1 prime was mostly always right and won almost every battle he went into, he didn't have any flaws in terms of his personality to where he'd need to evolve as a character and overcome any personal difficulties. He was portrayed as the perfect leader in my opinion.

4. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    S.O.S. Dinobots, for one. MTMTE part 3 for another. War Dawn, when you get down to it. That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more, but I'm at work currently. I'll be back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    I love Optimus, but I love Rodimus more. He gets my vote.

Optimus is the hero you want to be, but Rodimus is the hero you can be and better relate to.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum COWABUNGA DUDE!!!!

Optimus Prime was a good role model, but that's all he was.

Rodimus constantly doubts himself, doesn't really like being a leader but does it because he has no other choice and he acted more on emotion than Optimus ever did. He isn't happy with himself, and that makes him a much more compelling character than Optimus, at least to me.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

For the question in the title of the thread: No. But for the question in the poll and presented in the original post: Yes.

Rodimus is much less experienced and more flawed than Optimus, which makes his story somewhat more interesting to follow. I wouldn't want him as a leader over Optimus, but I tend to like Rodimus stories better than Optimus stories. I really like the episode The Quintesson Journal because of this. While the Autobots still succeeded and peace was established between the two alien planets, it was a bittersweet victory because Rodimus was not able to make the delegates present to let go of their old hatreds. I feel like Optimus would have been more successful in that regard, but that outcome would not have stuck with me like the actual end of this episode did.

While I do believe that Optimus is somewhat flawed, it is hard to argue against Rodimus being much more flawed than OP. A lot of the examples you brought up for OP's flaws are cases where OP makes a wrong but reasonable decision, then learns his lesson and arrives at the correct and best possible answer to the problem at the end of the episode. When Rodimus makes a wrong but reasonable decision, he still learns, but his solutions tend to still be less optimal than Optimus Prime's were. The scenario from the Quintesson Journal that I had earlier in my post is a perfect example of this.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot That moment when you realize I'm someone's mom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't understand any appeal to Optimus at all. I thought he was boring and bland, with little personality. For me, I can't imagine liking G1 at all if Rodimus wasn't there.

9. streak2

streak2 lost in space rn

Twitter:
    I prefer Optimus personally, I like his "kind-hearted leader" type of character and it's isn't like he was perfect, there is a lot that can be done with it. Rodimus kind of character is a little overdone in my opinion, "the kid who is suddenly obligated to be a leader so he does a bunch of mistakes but he learns in the end!" not that it makes a bad character, I can see the appeal and the teaching it can give, I just happen to have seen it a lot already and they don't make me as invested anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    How I see it, they're both great leaders, but excel at different things, and equally have different flaws. I can see at first Rodimus struggling to emulate how Prime lead thinking that's how he should be, but I see him as being more like a classic Captain Kirk. Not as immature as he was as Hot Rod, but good humored and doesn't take himself too seriously.

At the same time he's aware of how heavy the burden he's bearing is, and even though he sometimes struggles to uphold it, he knows that when the stakes are high, he can't afford to goof off too much. He also struggles to be a father to his men like Optimus, or a maternal, nurturing but strong leader like Elita is. I can see Elita-one, once she loses her husband, sort of becomes a mentor to Roddy. Perhaps she can also offer more of an intimate insight on how Optimus truly thought about things, and maybe talk about the man she loved and respected in a different manner than how others perhaps see him, rather than this legendary, near messianic figure, she talks about him from the perspective of a fellow leader, best friend, support. She perhaps saw all of him, some sides of him that his fellow soldiers and subordinates didn't even know he had.

She wouldn't tell everyone these things, as she understood that it takes a lot to open up to another, but she tells Rodimus because she wants to help him grow into the leader she and the others know he's capable of being.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    That's a cool comparison. Rodimus is basically Kirk and Optimus is Picard. Although in the case of Star Trek I prefer Picard over Kirk.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Prime as Picard fits quite well!

I can totally see it.

13. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    More flawed does NOT necessarily equal better. My favorite comic character is Captain America. People don't hang shit on him like they do Optimus, but he has a much WORSE track record of being infallible.

I'd be up for EITHER of them to have a massive loss. I'm talking something along the lines of Green Lantern: Mosaic level of screw up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

I hope I did not come off as somehow implying that you were wrong to like OP more because I did not mean that.

I tend to agree with you that a more flawed character does not necessarily mean a better character. Heck, while I do find Rodimus more compelling, I don't think he is as good a character as OP is. I also, like you seemingly do, find stories where the heroes must overcome massive mistakes/failures they have made in the past generally more compelling. As far as the G1 toon goes, I wouldn't call any of OP's failures massive, while I could call quite a few of Rodimus's massive.

This is why I tend to like the Marvel and IDW interpretations of OP more. While they are mostly the same character as G1 cartoon Optimus (even more so in the Marvel version's case), they tend to find themselves on the losing side more often and face more serious consequences for those failures. I do prefer the comic versions of OP to cartoon Rodimus, but I still prefer cartoon Rodimus over Optimus for the same reasons.

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Rodimus Prime has always been my favourite Autobot. I prefer him as a character for most of the reasons everyone has stated above.

Regeneration and the Combiner Wars cartoon, while not well received by the fandom, are guilty pleasures of mine and Rodimus Prime was the high point of Regeneration for me, And I enjoyed his portrayal in the Combiner Wars trilogy, especially hearing Judd Nelson voicing him again.

Plus he has a cooler design than Optimus. I don't like faceplates.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Orbitalchaos

Instagram:
    I always felt his design was more unique and distinctive compared to Optimus. The flames, the weird alt mode, the giant Spoiler. I never liked him because I was always under the impression that he "killed" prime but now that I gave him a chance he's quickly becoming a favorite of mine. However Optimus will always be my childhood hero .

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Of course.

18. PanduhmusPrime

PanduhmusPrime Professional Face-Ripper

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Does MTMTE/LL Rodimus count?

19. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I can only go off of my recollections of the g1 toon (i have been watching some season 3 episodes on youtube lately) but Optimus was the consummate leader (millions of years of experience will do that) while Rodimus barely had time to prove himself and carve his own legacy. Every incarnation post G1, Rodimus has not been given a real chance to flourish as the Autobots leader and successor to Optimus, instead always reverting him back to HotRod, based on that Rodimus has the potential to be a much greater character but most writers prefer to fall back on Optimus and undercut Rodimus.

20. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Optimus' flaw is that he dies often.