Is Prime the best written TF show ever? One of the best animated shows ever?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Alucard77, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I finished up watching Season 2 of TFer's Prime. I have to say that Season 2 took what was wrong with Season 1 and fixed it right up. The writing is brilliant on this show, and at this point I am struggling to think of an animated show on TV that was ever better then this.

TBH, this is almost like BSG but animated with more action. It is not up to par with BSG of course, but it does a great job on it's own.

The one thing I will say is, I am not sure who this show is targeted towards. The show is so dark, and the subject matter is so severe, I doubt I would let an 8 year old watch this. This is more 11 and up at the very least.

So what are your feelings on this? BTW, I do realize this is like asking my 3 year old son if he likes candy. Maybe this is not the best place to ask this question, to TFer fans, however, why not ask here.

2. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

No. Adventure Time. Samurai Jack. The Spectacular Spider-Man. Beast Wars and Animated. Freaking Rescue Bots. Hell, Avatar and Korra. G.I. Joe Renegades. Maybe Avengers. Batman toons. Lots of anime I've seen that no one else has. A cartoon that was never aired.

I don't think Prime is all that. The action is awkward, the plots do not amount to anything, characterization that leads to nothing, the tone is too serious for a show that isn't serious at all. I don't get why people say it's dark either. Courage the Cowardly Dog is darker.

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I wouldn't say it's the best written/best show ever, but I like it.

No complaints.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Veteran

News Credits:
    Hahahahaha OP you are a funny guy. 10/10

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    No. I'd say it's mediocre. IMO it's on par with Armada (which is a decent show).

6. Sideways77

Sideways77 useless lesbian

News Credits:
    TFP definatly has the best writing ever!

If TFA and BW didn't exist. The writing for season. 1 isn't bad, but it's not the best thing ever.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I almost laughed when I read the title.

No. Season 2 was a mess.

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I would place it third, they have set up some excellent stuff, but there have been far too many missed opportunities for me to rate it amazingly high. Sometimes I don't think the writers know what they have, and I will never forgive them for the way they handled Bumblebees broken T-cog.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    No on both counts.

It's not the best written TF show ever in innumerable ways, not when it has TWO clip episodes in S2. It also doesn't hold a candle to the later Beast Wars (Dinbot FTW) and Animated in general (I know opinions differ on Animated, but it's like the only series that doesn't portray the Autobot/Decepticon war in complete black and white). Hell, even Armada handled the "collecting" gimmick better, at least the Mini-cons didn't all just get tossed into a locker after being introduced (along with blatantly being named in homage to older TF stuff instead of being even slightly original, like the Star Saber) and remained more or less relevant even well past episode 30 when the mini-con hunting stopped altogether.

And it's not even funny how sub par Prime is to greats like Samurai Jack, A:TLA, and even Megas XLR.

10. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Hell yeah.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Veteran

News Credits:
    Which are all kids shows, by the way. :) 

12. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

There are animated shows that I like better, but there are a whole lot of animated shows that are far worse. If someone had asked me this around the start of S2 I would have said it's my top show, but right now... hnnngg

13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    wow, I didn't expect that response.

I do agree the two clips episodes sucked balls this year. But I think the content of the show wasn't bad at all. I wasn't crazy about the scripts last year, with the same thing almost every week.

However, this year, the 5 episode arc when they were chasing down the relics was great. Also, there were at least 11 memorable episodes in total this year. The fight sequences were pretty epic and the script really wasn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

Also, anyone watch Battle Star Gallactica? You guys not seeing the similarities?

14. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    I like it better than Animated and BW, from what I have seen.....*runs away*

15. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    It has its shortcomings, but it's definitely in the top 3, along with Beast Wars and Animated.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best Transformers show? Certainly. Best animated show? Probably not. The Transformers brand has too much baggage at this point to ever be the best, I think. Unless James Roberts were to write a new show, then all bets are off.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    No. Not even close.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I can't for the life of me find one similarity, but please do share some with me as I've watched both shows to completion [or rather, Prime's completion 'till now].

And no, Prime is not the best written TF show, not by a large margin.

Great, GREAT animation? Yes. Great character moments coupled with great voice acting? Yes again, I giggle each time Knockout is on the screen.

But beyond that, I'm left entirely cold. Great character moments do NOT carry on the dangerously thin plot. Great fights are entertaining, but again cannot carry the plot.

There's really no backstory, no purpose at all in either faction before setting out to find relics that were accidentally scattered across earth. Besides some moments where Prime sets off to terminate Megatron and end the war, nothing happens.

What did Megatron do in his absence pre season 1? Nothing, besides uncovering Unicron's blood.

Is there a general fight going on, other immediate battlefronts in the universe? None that we know of or even heard of.

Starscream, beyond being amusing as hell and very rarely dangerous, is there even a reason for him? He did little as a commander, something he craved too much, he's done even less on his own.

What does team Prime do, anyway, besides hiding? There's very little in scavenging energon, they are hideously outnumbered, they never called for reinforcements and very rarely did they stage attacks.

And the show has had 52 episodes so far. In less than that, IIRC, Animated ended and had fleshed out over 6 Autobots, solved mysteries in that universe, had both sides each with their own purpose setting on with it, and had far more interesting characters. Just sit around and compare what we know and have seen of Animated Ratchet to Prime Ratchet, in show only, barring the amazing J. Combs delivery.

Next to nothing.

19. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Prime's overall a pretty solid show. It's not even close to being the best animated show ever, nor is it the best TF show ever (Beast Wars still reigns supreme, and TFA's a very close second), but it's solid, well-animated, and well done. There are much worse cartoons, and there are much better cartoons, but Prime? It's good by me.

The first half or so of season two sucked moose balls, though.

20. gregles

gregles quintesson

I really agree with the OP. Unfortunatly When I read the title of the thread I could already hear misguided and cynical fans I kind of feel sorry for screaming at there laptops and angrily typing SCAVENGER HUNT!!!!! FILLER EPISODES!!!!! FLASHBACK EPISODE!!!!!! just for the record beast wars had loads of scavenger hunt element looking or golden disks, stasis pods, random bits of cybertron technology etc