Is Official or 3P the better MP scale Transformer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by plastic therapy, Nov 11, 2016.

?

In todays market, is Offical or 3P the better MP scale Transformer?

1. Official

2. 3rd Party

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I only collect licensed Transformers.
    Others like to mix it up.
    Both options are viable because it's personal preference. I'm not wrong, and neither are others, because we all found our "better" options.

Making a thread asking for the "better" option is more or less just asking for heavy-handed opinions and unnecessary flaming from the hard-liners on both 'sides'.

2. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Or it's just asking for what people feel is the better side of the coin at present. Despite the poll going south due to where the thread got moved, for a person who looks at the big picture, it's actually a very telling topic.

3. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    And how exactly is the poll 'going south'?

4. stucksomewhere

stucksomewhere Well-Known Member

I'm firmly in camp 3. The vast majority of my MP style TFs are official. However, one of my favorite toys, if not my absolute favorite, is DX09 Carry. The style seems right, the transformation is well executed and genius, and the quality is just as good as my official MPs. In the same regard, my official Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus are both spot on in my book (obviously in the case of MP10) and I have a hard time choosing between the 3 based on purely aesthetic and technical merits.

Of course, for me, Carry wins. Because Rodimus Prime.

5. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I think I finally understand why some of the people who will only buy official Transformers, get hostile to people that buy 3p or ko's.

They get so far in on official and been paying top dollar for a product that is essentially being devalued by the market being filled with higher quality representations of their collection that it angers them.

And, it's too embarrassing to admit that, so instead, the frustration manifests as hostility that directs at those who think differently. Several reasons will be spoken, but NEVER the one I just mentioned. But people are funny, and in turn, by not admitting that's the reason, they will reinforce their facade by continuing to buy only official and act as a sort of elitist.

Groups will form of similar collectors and they will gang up on others who talk about 3p or KO. And even though nobody will admit to it, it's because they feel like the value of their investment has been taken from them by a market that was made possible by the very thing they aggressively promote.

So thinking about all this earlier I realized that it is true, if you buy these things for any reason other than because you just like it, it's probably not very healthy. Especially if it leads to anger when you compare what you have to someone else. If you love official only, that's cool. I can see a lot of reasons to have that perogative. But the above mentioned scenario isn't a good reason to get angry. That's a reason to re evaluate. Maybe a good time to just appreciate what other people enjoy. You don't have to enjoy what someone else does to appreciate that they like it.

I'm just really picky so that's why I enjoy more than just official products. And I'm super cheap. I like to spend as little as possible on frivolous things

6. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

I think it changes from figure to figure and that they both push each other to be better. Because of that, I think it's better to say that neither is "better" but they're both necessary so that WE get the best possible representation of a character we like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

There is no question, competition is good for the consumer. Whenever there is a monopoly on something, the consumer gets the short end of the stick.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I do both. However i am pretty much done here with mp scale figures after i get Cyclonus and Blitzwing. My shelf is a mix of both MP and 3p. Slavish g1 and neo g1. At this point it looks like the last three toys i get will be 3p unless takara make fembots out of the blue

9. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

It's a case by case scenario. I don't want any BadCube 12-steps-to-transform-a-foot figures Official gets a nod for some of their clever transformations where I feel a handful of Third Party offerings use a lot of panels. Overall though, for the money, I would definitely say 3P. You get some heft and die-cast that really feels good in hand. A lot of official MP's these days are sort of Combiner Wars-ish where the legs extend out and have the hollow feel.