Is Official or 3P the better MP scale Transformer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by plastic therapy, Nov 11, 2016.

?

In todays market, is Offical or 3P the better MP scale Transformer?

1. Official

2. 3rd Party

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Yeah Ironhide and Ratchet are so much better than any other offerings. But Mirage/Sphinx is absolutely spectacular. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't be into him. But all to each their own. Screenshot_2016-11-12-16-11-46-1.png

2. Rfour

Rfour Well-Known Member

Sphinx looks decent enough overall but his face doesn't hit the mark for me (as is often the case for 3Ps).

3. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Like Booster Gold stated earlier, I would have like a third option that says somethings like "depends." Official generally makes a good product, but Fans Toys, Ocular Max (MMC), Make Toys, Bad Cube and XTransbots/KFC have figures that are hard to surpass. Takara has done nothing to make me want to part ways with MT Despotron, OC Sphinx, OC Backdraft, FT Dinobots, FT Preceptor, FT Insecticons, BC Brawny, BC Outback, KFC Transistor and MT Gundog. I only upgraded to official to replace TFC Ironhide and soon MT Grapple. With that being said, third party has nothing to make me want to replace the Datsuns, Wheeljack, Ultra Magnus, Optimus Prime, Shockwave and Soundwave. I will upgrade to FT Hot Rod while keeping the official since it was a gift.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think people passed on Sphinx because he has huge chunks missing from him. I mean, looking at that I can't see how you could ever get a decent Alt mode out of that.

;) 

• Like Like x 4
  5. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Agreed. It's the same for me.
    And i like takara's face sculpt and fluid transformations a lot more than 3p efforts.

6. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I more or less agree, but then Ironhide...looks like FT of the previous few years did the face for him.

7. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Official is the better MP scale Transformers line. It's the ONLY MP scale "Transformers" line. 3P products are bootlegs.

8. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I'm not so sure that's accurate. See pic- Screenshot_2016-11-13-10-57-20-1.png
    Everything about what you said hinges upon the use of the term- transformer, or regarding your comment- Transformers line.
    In the context of the thread, Transformer describes what a toy does, while in the context of your response Transformers line describes a Trademark/product name.
    I think it's safe to say that both Takaras licenced Transformers line and 3p/ko are all a transformer.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Official, the smoothness of most of the transformations shows the genius behind them, while a lot of the 3p ones look the part, they lack the finesse and finish of the official designs, mmc is pretty close to that though, a few maketoys figures as well

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Now that's a whole other can of worms! I completely agree with you but there's alot around here that cannot seperate the term from the brand.

IMO if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

• Like Like x 2
  11. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Transfomers TM

12. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

If you are only talking about scale, I don't think there is much disagreement or complaints about scale. The major discussion almost always seems to be style and colours.

Edit: ok I misread the question. I need to think about it

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  13. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

lol

14. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BAM! Thank you.

15. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Yup. I think in here
    Lol. For all intents and purposes, what else should everyone do eh? Be like "So I want to talk about this 3rd party transformable robot that resembles an officially liscenced Transformer.." haha. I don't get some of the arguments that are brought up sometimes. :rolleyes: 

16. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It depends entirely on your own personal preferences regarding the vast swathe of figures at your incomes disposal. Me personally? The poll matters not a jot. One complements the other. Neither are essential. Your shelf is your own and others opinions are exactly that and just as valid as your own. Never be swayed from enjoying something just because it's official and official sucks.

And vice versa, you trigger happy kids.:bay 

• Like Like x 1
  17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Actually, what you posted says...

1. an apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current. (So, not relevant)
    2. a person or thing that transforms something.

?
    ??
    ???

*GASP*

WE'RE THE TRANSFORMERS. NOT THE PLASTIC ROBITS.

*MIND BLOWN*

• Like Like x 1
  18. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I have specifically one part that even mass shifts :D 

19. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

Yeah, this. You can't say "Every official release is better than every third party release" or vice versa. Some of the official releases are fantastic. Some are crap. Some third party releases are amazing. Some are crap.

Do the official toys have a better record? Well, sure, I hope so. After all, they are the massive company that can afford to design and redesign until something should be great. Sometimes they miss the mark, though, and third parties nail it.

20. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

But the question isn't about every piece ever made, it's about what's hitting todays market.
    It's no secret that I feel like 3p/ko is killing it over official right now. Simply because as a whole, they (perhaps unfairly) have a myriad of choices and quality improvements.

If you were to ask me the same thing over the long haul since it began, my answer would be hastak. I have bought far more official for my collection than 3p/ko. But in 2016- I've bought 4 different 3p/ko transformers and only 2 TT.