Is Official or 3P the better MP scale Transformer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by plastic therapy, Nov 11, 2016.

?

In todays market, is Offical or 3P the better MP scale Transformer?

1. Official

2. 3rd Party

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Sounds real tolerant

2. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    The varying 3P companies have a variety of different levels of quality, but, imho none of them have ever made me go "Wow! That looks better than a Takara piece!" Even in instances like Quakewave, the official just does it all soooo much better. The same thing applies to MP-36 and all the previous MP Megatron figures. A lot of them get various different parts right and some look pretty good (Okay, just Apollyon but if you can get past Despotron's totally stupid chunk, he's pretty nice) but Takara consistently gets everything right on the money in a way that is almost magical because it just looks right for reasons that I can neither understand nor articulate.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's case by case basis.

Rodimus Convoy? A mess. DX9 Carry? Heavily stylized, but all in one and incredibly sturdy.
    Ironhide? Aside from the hip flap issue, he's better built than Voodoo's Animus/Salus mold and his transformation is much smoother for a cheaper price.

For the most part, official releases do their job not just right, but exceedingly well. Sometimes, a 3rd party just ever so slightly does it better.
    As for the upcoming MP Megatron, no one knows for sure until they have it in hand, but a lot of people are planning to go 3rd party for their Megatron because DX9 and MakeToys have made some compelling versions of the character. Not to mention, they're more affordable as well. At the very least, the 3rd parties blow MP-05 out of the water.

It depends on what style you're looking for, it depends on what you want it to do in your collection, the choice is your's.

• Like Like x 1
  4. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I actually really love Ironhide and Ratchet. Got them both with no regrets at all. I am quite interested in those kits that let the hipskirts get out of the way though

• Like Like x 2
  5. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Is it ever wise to wade into this particular subject in the Official threads?

Tigerblade is right, there are another subset of us that can cope with the idea of the best of both worlds making up our collection. I keep seeing the claim that "No 3P product can compare with a TT one" well those of you with this opinion have presumably never compared Fanstoys Stomp with MP Tracks or Gappy McLambo for fit and build quality?

It's great to feel a sense of Brand loyalty - that's why we are all on a TF Board in the first place, but blanket statements that don't stand up to the reality of the plastic I own really don't make me inclined to take some of this stuff seriously.

When TT get it right it can be and is spectacular, but as I am lucky enough NOT to own Spinout the WORST build quality on a figure I've ever owned is still self-amputating MP09. It looked beautiful, until his arm, knees and ankles all exploded. So, a sense of proportion is always worth keeping.

Best of both.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    You need a third option, "Neither they all have their merits."

• Like Like x 3
  7. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Well I didn't put this thread here. I put it in general. Admin moved this thread here and it doesn't make sense why but hey.. I don't know the site well yet.

The thread really isn't about what the best collection would be in it's entirety, more so what is the better offering on the market today.

I agree that the best of both worlds is the most viable solution today. And that's a totally different topic I think. For example- I was all about official product only up to early this year. I had been increasingly dissapointed with the way official made me feel about said product. And all I have bought since is 3p. So for me, on todays market I have to say 3p.

8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, because people who are simply satisfied with official product, or 3p product, like it and don't have the presumption to tell other people what they should like and buy simply don't exist and don't have citizenship rights in the collectors community right?
    Is your hobby to start flame wars?

9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Hesitantly, VERY hesitantly voted for 3rd party.

The first question is of course, what defines better?

Quality wise I don't think there's that much differences. I think TT definitely has quality. Sure, there are some duds, but in general each new mould released by TT definitely is good quality. Sure I wouldn't mind seeing perhaps a little bit more smart use of die cast (emphasis on smart -- Hot Rod is a prime example who could've used some die cast in his feet or legs to offset the weight of his upper body), perhaps good quality rubber tires (not the crappy RiD ones) or more paint, but that hasn't really anything to do with quality. With 3rd party it depends on the company. Some 3rd party companies definitely have better quality (stronger joints, stronger plastic, some diecast), while some are not. However, I do think that the top 3rd party companies do deliver a product that is at the same level or better.

Design is the same. TT definitely has good designs. Hasui and Koboyashi both excelled in making good designs. With Hasui, I think, there was more of a fun factor, while with Koboyashi there is more of a wow factor. But both succeeded in producing a good design. With 3rd party...it's a bit different. Some 3rd party companies definitely have good designs, while others have not. I think the best designers can rival Hasui/Koboyashi, but the majority is a step behind. However, an advantage of being a step behind is that transformation can be more fun. Koboyashi especially feels sometimes a bit over-engineered to me

The esthetics depend on preferance. And this is where I veer towards 3rd party. I'm not crazy about the current focus of the official MP line (whatever it may be, since to me it seems to shift with every release). The 3rd party figures still adhere more to the mix of animation model with toy and real life influences. A mix that I like, and thus why I give on this point the advantage to 3rd party.

All in all, I don't think either is better. Both are good and it's more a matter of preferance based on esthetics. For me, I must admit that buying a 3rd party product gives me more fullfillment, more the idea that I've spent my money on something wisely, than with a similar priced official product. And in the few instances they've made the same character, I find myself preferring the 3rd party more:
    - Shockwave: the official had the quality, a very (toy) accurate design, but he lacks the (Marvel kick ass) presence that I want in a Shockwave.
    - Inferno: Can't Judge the quality, but I miss the toy elements in this design. Backdraft didn't wow me in every way, but he looks more like the Inferno I want.
    - Megatron: Can't Judge the quality, but I dislike the many panels and feels that he misses the presence of Megatron (not the cartoon presentation, but the description of him being very powerful), which Despotron does portray.

• Like Like x 1
  10. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Good question.
    Social media in general, for me is a good way to interact. One of the things I like to do is talk about controversial topics because it gets a full spectrum of reactions. These reactions and interactions have always facinated me.
    One thing you will notice about me if you follow my comments over time is that in one topic I will be a tough opponent and in the next will be in full agreement with the same person. This is because to me none of it is personal. It's just a discussion.
    As much as I like to read others opinions, I like to express mine. That, is the point of discussion threads isn't it?

11. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    A little bit simplistic and arguably inflammatory. Here's a few I've seen that you've probably missed:

3-People who are loyal to particular 3p brands who express their disdain with people who don't like what they do.
    4-People who have not become dissatisfied with official product and express it.
    5-Reasonable people who collect both 3p and Transformers and don't get involved with petty disputes.
    6-People who can't help but come up with adversarial labels for other people they can't identify with.
    7-People who find 3p & official debate irrelevant and boring.

• Like Like x 1
  12. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Haha Touche' the plot thickens :D 

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True to a point, but there have been many times where a 3P has done something and Takara then releases their version, which is a perfect rendition to MOST collectors. Now... this is completely discounting any quality issues that they may encounter. Which 3P have their fair share of as well, and sometimes worse.

14. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread is entirely pointless. Are we to assume that all 3P are created equal? That XTransbots are on par with FansToys in terms of quality and merit. But for the sake of this thread we need to blanket all 3P companies together. Hell you can't even take Takara's quality as being uniform. That would like saying Hot Rodimus is as good as Soundwave. So after all the cherry picking or turd mining my best answer would be that middle of the road Takara is comparable to middle of the road 3P.

• Like Like x 1
  15. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Honestly, I can't say whether third party is better or not, since most of my MP scale TFs are from Takara/Hasbro. I always try to buy official products when I can only because in some cases they are a bit cheaper to get (or at least they used to be). With that said though, I'm not one of those who judges people who prefer 3P over official. In some cases, third parties make some pretty awesome looking figures that might not be on Takara/Hasbro's list of possible upcoming releases anytime soon or at all. For instance, Mastermind is releasing that unofficial Tarn that I would love to get. Not sure if we would ever see an official MP Tarn from Has/Tak.

• Like Like x 1
  16. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Sort of yes. 3p is a blanket statement in a way, but it's a common statement from both sides of the spectrum. For me 3p is a smorgasbord of options to pick and choose from, while official is take it or leave it.

And like you mention there, official is as inconsistent as 3p now. Almost forcing loyalists to their style of MP10 datsun era to stop ordering off the menu and go for the smorg

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well obviously the more you sell, the more of them there are, and so the 'average' size will skew more toward the highest sellers! Thus making the one that sells more the 'better' size. No?

You take your logic and common sense and geddouddahere. This is the internet! RAGE!

L.O.L.

BTW, I have no idea why anyone could even think 3P comes anywhere near selling as many units as TakTom do. TakTom Masterpieces are produced in the hundred's of thousands, 3P at best are produced in the 10's of thousands. And more likely in the thousands, as in up to 10,000.

Anyway, Taktom's scale is 'best' but a lot of 3P follow it too. My Unique Toys Witchcraft Masters (y'know, why the hell are they called that?) Ordin guys are pretty much TakTom MP scaled, and they're y'know. Pretty darn swish.

• Like Like x 1
  18. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I have always wondered about actual production numbers. Any idea how to find out how many of any certain toy is produced?

19. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh boy this thread. :lolol 

Runs for the hills.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    I've yet to see a 3P MP figure I like. Ok, Takara aren't perfect, but there is something very off with all the 3P offerings. I look at the mirage and sunstreaker 3P toys and they are missing the effortless simplicity of the Takara products. Also, Takara are geniuses with the transformation sequences - that is a huge appeal for me, just compare MP Ironhide transform to the 3P versions.