Is Maketoys Over? - Revisited 1 year later

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ChromeMagnus, Apr 1, 2021.

1. edgecrusher

edgecrusher When yer featherin' it, brother TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He has the G1 US market Hosehead I wish Fans Hobby was doing, rather than the Japanese market version. I wonder if they'll eventually do it as a repaint/remold or something.

2. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I also agree that the DS Starscream very likely hurt Maketoys, perhaps even fataly.

With DS Starscream now on the table and received rather favourably, I suspect that pre-orders for the Starscream EX/reissue version will be cancelled by many. With a DS Skywarp and Thundercracker likely, it seems unlikely that the rumoured reissue of the Maketoys versions of TC and SW willl happen. As for Ramjet and Thrust, that remains to be seen, but I suspect that many will have jumped ship by that time waiting for either a TT version (or a KO of it), or a potential DS version (assuming there's space for the head on the DS design).

Like Fansproject before (their CHUG Headmasters), Maketoys had with these seekers something they could've sold easily. They waited too long and now that opportunity has passed because there's a good alternative, and I suspect Maketoys will follow.

I didn't care about their seekers, but I have several Maketoys figures and I love them very much. Gundog is still my MP Hound, Wrestle my MP Grapple, Utopia is the best looking Metroplex ever made, Despotron is my MP Megatron, Downbeat is a pretty decent Jazz... There were some announcements that interested me a lot, but a) I question if those will get released and b) I've already moved on.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Super Mecha Dad

Super Mecha Dad Your mechanical father.

Twitter:
    There seems to be a lot of Maketoys stuff (Cupola, Thunder Manus/Erebus, Iron Will, Buster Skywing) popping up at better than decent prices lately at multiple outlets. The optimist in me thinks "hey, they're rerunning some of their greatest hits to build up some cash" while the pessimist just thinks they're shipping out whatever dead stock they had on hand.

4. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

I'm not giving up until Maketoys themselves come out and say they are dead.

• Like Like x 2
  5. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maketoys: Trust us, we are dead.

• Like Like x 6
  6. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

I think the new stock is found stock not reissues. Otherwise the non-KOd headmaster would probably be reissued too.

Another weird thing. When will other shops get MT Acid Storm? What about MT Starscream? I saw ShowZ said MT SS was recalled? But didn't some people get theirs already?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

To me, this pig is still in the air. Holding on hope until it hits the sewer....

8. Lazerlips

Lazerlips Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20210929-085010.png

Saw this in the showz thread earlier today.

• Like Like x 4
  9. nobody1898

nobody1898 Well-Known Member

it does seem more likely that they are shutting their doors and just clearing out any remaining stock.

but I'm still hoping for that contactshot re-issue

• Like Like x 2
  10. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    Hoping for Lightning and Skycrow reissues.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly...substitute their Cross Dimension releases with their MP Brainstorm, Highbrow and then any of the other Target Masters and they would probably still be around.

Not saying the Cross Dimension stuff is bad...but actual named characters as part of an existing line of figures > stylised takes on stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Cross Dimension is, like, literally the only thing I'm interested in from Maketoys. I hope they make a comeback.

• Like Like x 10
  13. HeroicVillain

HeroicVillain Well-Known Member

Sad day to find out that they pushed back their Coneheads to March now. The bright side is maybe TT or DS will have shown a prototype by then so all hope won't be lost on the group. I was really hoping MT could pull this out but even I have to admit they may be too late now. Still, a lot can happen between now and then and all it'll take is some pics to show they've progressed on them to build the excitement back up.

• Like Like x 4
  14. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Votes MPG-07 = Mixmaster

Agreed. Got this feeling that ironically Dirge/Endgame may have been the final MakeToys figure in my collection. At the rate Deformation Space and TakaraTomy are both knocking out those Seekers it seems like they'll both at least have announcements about Coneheads by March, 2022.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Nonsensically Sensational! And Vice Versa!

News Credits:
    Though I really enjoy their Cross Dimension line, jumping back into old-styled CHUG was definitely a head scratcher.

It’s like Maketoys was suffering from an identity crisis, couldn’t figure out who it wanted to be, and experimented with everything until it could no longer sustain. Sad because they had great potential.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno. Everything keeps getting pushed back for them. The Coneheads designs seem to have been pretty much done and ready to go years ago and they just haven’t progressed. I was all in for them but at this point I’m throwing in the towel on MT and moving to DS for my jets. I’ll keep the four I have for alt mode but I’m not holding out for the final two. It just ain’t happening at this point I think.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Michael Mercy

Michael Mercy Nerdmasté!

Bummer, their Headmasters were great. Wish they could have finished the set.

• Like Like x 4
  18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

So funny that we all invested so much in this company for so long but at this point, the point of the thread title, does it even matter anymore. I think the clear answer is no MT doesn't matter anymore alive or dead. I fully expect FT to take over the HM and TM and redo them. DS and Takara are going to do the Coneheads. 7 months ago we were told by many different sources the MT Coneheads were coming out next year.

It's sad to think that all of the MT figures I own have essentially or will essentially be replaced. I love Despotron but TT won that war with ease. Seekers were such a slam dunk and they did a good job but waited around forever. DS will replace those for me. I fell in love with the company over their HM and now those get replaced for me. This was a good company that made solid figures with good design.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree that it's sad and they are basically dead. Fortunately for me, I was never deeply invested in them. Their style never really resonated much with me, and the figures they made that I purchased have all been pretty much replaced with better options. Looking over my shelves, I can't see a single MT figure that will retain prime position and the best of them are going to stay as an alt mode, and really only because they're "good enough" that I can avoid the cost of replacing. Basically Seekers for jet mode, Jazz for car mode, and Reflector for a camera. And I think that's it.
    I personally don't feel that Maketoys were ever really at the pinnacle of the 3P game and even at their highest point, were at best just one of the top 5 or 6. They've been in decline for a while and I never really expected a stunning come-back from them.
    For me at least, they're gone but I'm not really going to miss them... as harsh as that sounds.

20. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    Maketoys headsculpts quickly made their figures obsolete.

• Like Like x 3