Is Maketoys Over? - Revisited 1 year later

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ChromeMagnus, Apr 1, 2021.

1. BulletSponge

BulletSponge Self admitted plastic-crack addict

2. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    18F8F272-AAB8-4FAB-BCEB-236A1C5D7299.jpeg

-Still- the saddest shelf in my collection :( 

• Like Like x 11
  3. Lazerlips

Lazerlips Well-Known Member

They have missed every release date since they announced their jazz reissue. They did manage to get out Acid storm and starscream this year.
    I'm waiting to see if they have any presence at TFcon in October. I'd really like to finish a seeker collection, and not have to pay late tax, or restart again.

4. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On the bright side, FansHobby is going to take care of you hard over the next few months...

• Like Like x 4
  5. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    At this point, I don’t care about the coneheads to bother with Maketoys anymore. I’ll just keep my misassembled floppy Takara figures.

cancelled my preorders for thrust and ramjet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    Honestly just want a reissue of Lightning

• Like Like x 1
  8. svek

svek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So there's a pre-order opened for CD Galvatron on ShowZ and they claim that it's not Shockwave (they're both codenamed MTCD-06 now) but actually Galvatron but who tf knows at this points. A year has passed and still nothing...

9. AtariChaotic

AtariChaotic Active Member

Ebay:
    Bought Downbeat Premium from a member a few weeks ago. That figure is the tits.

I have and like their megaton as well.

Really hope they keep going.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Darthmarto

Darthmarto Well-Known Member

I need Skycrow. I feel you

• Like Like x 1
  11. northernautobot

northernautobot Frozen Autobot in MN

Man, I'm just glad I snapped up their Swerve and Tailgate when I did. Why they didn't try to do more small IDW stuff is beyond me. MMC already has a good chunk of the market, but MakeToys was a strong contender for a while.

Also I got too impatient waiting on the Guardia re-release and went YesModel.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chuck M

Chuck M Member

I like maketoys. My first purchases were Giant and Quantron. Then I got into masterpieces and got Vizualizer.

I just got Meteor and I need Skycrow and Lightning to go along with him. I like the aesthetic feel and look that the company has given to their products.

I have Apollyon, but it’s for show, don’t want to convert to his alt mode but would love to get my hands on a Despotron.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Shame i would love a $100 priced MP Jazz. I missed the MP Jazz wars and I'm only now getting back into MPs. Anybody got any cheap (<$150) quality alternatives?

14. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

Idk but I really liked some of their figures. Still prefer my Despotron(with MP36 head) to my MP36. Still displaying MT reflector on my MP shelf. Meteor was a bit too toon for my taste so I sold him off, but I do think it was a good figure only hampered by a bad headsculpt and crappy hands. Definitely in think MT MPs in general had some serious build quality issues.

I bought some of the X dimension stuff and they were good figures, but I think that's what eventually sunk them. Trying to run two lines neither of which was "best in class" seemed to drain the company fast!

• Like Like x 1
  15. UltraMagnusLRLL

UltraMagnusLRLL Occasional Jam-Band Drummer

Glad I got my Thunder Manus and Divine Shooter early... Would have hoped to see some kind of Megatron analogue to counter the fully assembled Thunder/Divine Manus...

16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Maketoys doing Classic-sized figures was my jam. Still is, and I really wished they would have done the Aerialbots back in the day. It's the one group I had to settle on the CW version for, and it just doesn't entirely do it for me. And their Quinjet black Jetfire is a great figure!

I think DS-01's Starscream may have really hurt them via the Meteor/repaint reissues. They just didn't get those out fast enough, and I'm positive they'll sit for a long time. I don't know how bad a hit that is, but I can't imagine it's good.

• Like Like x 3
  17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The designer who did MT's combiners, as well as Fansproject Intimidator also did the Fansproject upgrades for Superion Maximus and Bruticus Maximus, so I don't think those two teams would've been on the immediate radar anyways, had they been able to continue.

18. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Spelling Chekcer

I think DS-01 is going to take a huge chunk out of Maketoys' sales. They likely have a short window to finally get Thrust and Ramjet out before DS or TT announces their own Coneheads and takes a huge chunk of those sales too. MT needs to get a move on.

But hey, no one else is doing the last two Autobot Headmasters yet.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lazerlips

Lazerlips Well-Known Member

DS-01 looks good with endgame from the few pictures I've seen. I'm still waiting for DS-01 to show up to compare and contrast the two.

I'd like to continue to support Maketoys, but they need to communicate, and get the other two coneheads out.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I know--those definitely made them put those ideas on the backburner. But I'd like to have thought that once they got through with Defensor and Computron they'd revisit. But it just never happened.

I really think that's where they need to concentrate. I feel like the Seeker releases might have been a kind of quick-cash thing to keep going. But that's what makes the whole thing worse if that doesn't work out for them (and again, I don't know how it will).

• Like Like x 2