Is it wrong to expect to dine in a chaos-free environment, even if it's not a fancy restaurant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metroplex79, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

ARTICLE: Arby's restaurant removes 'insensitive' sign following outcry from parents

There are restaurants (and places) where before going in, I'm expecting chaos, noise, and energetic kids running around and/or screaming etc. Arby's (to me) isn't a "kids rule" kind of fast food joint like McD's (especially ones with a Play Place).

Is it wrong for a fast food restaurant to set a higher standard decorum for all its customers than a public park or playground?

Or maybe I'm part of an old-school thinking generation where one is expected to behave in public, and people like me should stay home.

I'm not a parent. Anyone here with kid(s) care to weigh in?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    So I'm a parent and I actually feel the same. My kids either behave in public or they don't get the privilege of going places. Unfortunately some parents think they're entitled to allow their kids to just run rampant. Hell, even at fast food restaurants with play places parents shouldn't allow their kids to run amoke outside of the intended play area... and conveniently those places usually have tables in the play area for the parents with kids.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 19
  3. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yes. Not because you're wrong to expect that, but because current outrage culture/climate/etc. now rules all, and it dictates that you're not allowed to expect anything anymore, let alone have a problem with it. Because when/if you do, you're fuuuucked. You will be instantly bullied and shamed for supposedly being a bully or shamer. On the Tweeter with pound signs. Because that's the wonderful little always so woke n' tolerant world we live in now.

Man, parents like you are in short supply these days. Respect.

• Like Like x 12
  4. Drangleic

Drangleic A funerary dirge for humanity

All Arby's has to do is put ritalin in all their sandwiches. Problem solved. You're welcome.

In all seriousness my Mom's big thing was being respectful to other people which included not acting like an ass in public. Otherwise the back of her hand was there waiting.

Needless to say I incurred many a slaps.

But that's how things were done when I was a kid. Kids got slapped. Whether right or wrong that's what happened when you did something bad.

My Mom even had a wooden spoon she'd belt you with if you really got out of hand. When I heard the drawer it was kept in open I ran like Jessie Owens.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

No, it's not. As a former restaurant manager, I hated when people brought in their unruly demon seeds to run amok without supervision. It isn't too much to ask that you be a responsible parent and watch your kids.

• Like Like x 11
  6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Selling: Rodimii! All Rodimus must go.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    This, and parents who let their kid wail, like high shrill shrieks indoors. It only happened to us my daughter trip over a plaque in a museum and cut her leg up. We ran her outside to let her scream. So many people just let their kids scream. When kids scream like that it hurts my head so much I get nauseous. I only eat out to get ice cream or else we have take out. Other people ruined restaurants for me.

Just last friday there were like 10 year olds running amok in the freaking ice rink. Knocking people over, sliding all over. The rink staff spoke to them 3 times. The mom was like defending the kids...

• Like Like x 3
  7. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    My son is 11 now, but even when he was very little and another kid would be acting crazy in a restaurant or a store he would look at me and expect me to go correct them because he knew he wouldnt get away with that behavior. Now he just looks at them and says under his breath "fucking mutants". I feel like I have done a decent job at this parenting thing, lol.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    I can understand where they're coming from. Some happy sounds in a play area are fine. Wailing if they get hurt, really tired, or scared is to be expected.

I expected good behavior from my kid in public when she was little, or we'd go home.

I don't like parents who just let their kids be bratty and don't bother to correct them either.

Granted, any kid, especially very young kids and babies will sometimes throw a tantrum. As long as the parents try to correct it, I can shrug it off.

And yeah, this lady is at least cleaning up after her kids.

Idk if they can ban little kids from the place, unless the kid is getting up to hijinx that would label them a nuisance while the parents just let them?

Because the parents may have gotten off work, or picked them up from daycare, or been on the road a long time and needed to grab something to eat. It should probably be a case by case basis.

• Like Like x 4
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    All kids are high-energy and crazy, but if you're not going to teach them manners or control them when in public, don't take them out.

• Like Like x 11
  10. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

My Dad had a long thin stick he custom made specifically for beating ass. It got used a time or two. And we deserved it. Lol. We named it "The Stick".

• Like Like x 4
  11. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

For my sister and me, it was called "the belt" and my parents were Samurai masters with it. If we ever got out of line, they wouldn't hesitate to unsheathe the belt and embarrass us in public, and that was an effective method that kept us under control. Today, it would be called "child abuse," but there were very few ass whoopins' we got that weren't deserved.

• Like Like x 3
  12. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Soviet borf comrade

News Credits:
    If you can't control your semen demon it shouldn't be everyone elses problem. Anyone else hoping the moms who complained were named Karen? Because this is some grade-A entitlement over here.

• Like Like x 11
  13. Drangleic

I had a teacher smack me in 3rd grade. I never told my mom because I was afraid I'd get in trouble. I didn't realize that the teacher could have been fired for that.

I was ripping leaves off the classroom plant and the next thing I knew I got a slap upside my head. I definitely deserved it though.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Mudslide

Mudslide Grieving Son, One Day at a Time.

:rolleyes: 
    Ma Fratelli said it best, "kids suck."

• Like Like x 4
  15. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I was just about to post that. Preach!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    My father phrased it best: "It's the parents' responsibility to civilize the savage that they brought into this world." To that end, they didn't tolerate any nonsense. There was a lot of love in my home growing up, but when I or my brother got out of line, out came the wooden spoon and we shut up with a quickness. Too many parents want to skip to the part where they're their kids' friend, without doing the hard work of being the parent.

• Like Like x 4
  17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

My girls know that they are to behave when we're out anywhere. If they can't be good, then we don't go or we get takeout. Me and the wife have received comments from people about how well behaved they are.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    My mother let me get away with this behaviour precisely once and it was deliberate on her part.

Two things, 1) Why Karen? 2) “Semen Demon” is magnificent and I’m adding it to my lexicon you wonderful chap.

• Like Like x 4
  19. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Soviet borf comrade

News Credits:
    Karen just kind of a meme name for entitled parents.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Drangleic

They usually have this hairstyle. It's called "the Karen"

1v738n.jpg

• Like Like x 6