Is IT TRUE???????

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    If an unfortunate number of TF fans didn't think in the same way, I'd say sunstreaker116 is a joke account at best, and a troll account at worst.

I think it's time to lock the thread before this gets out of hand.

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i am into transformers casue it is something that i love, every figure i own has a memory or event behind it i cherish. i grew up with beast wars and it means a lot to me. the first thing g1 i ever even saw was the movie, when my dad got me a vhs of it, this was in 2004. i loved that vhs to death, heck i still got it and it is worn out. i ain't no mindless hasbro follower. i love transformers cause i love the story behind them, i love the toys, i love transformers. i can recite the entire 86 movie while watching it cause i have seen it so many times. that movie made me want the 20th anniversary optimus prime when it came out a few months later. i would stare at a pic for hours in the the jc penny catalog just wishing i could get it...i got it for christmas that year and it is my most favorite christmas gift ever. i love tranformers cause it is something i enjoy, something i can share with my little brother, who is 13 and knows a hell of a lot about g1. don't you ever tell me what i can or not love. just cause i don't think the movie is trash doesn't make me any less of a fan than you are. hell there is a figure in my collection that stands for something so special that to me it is worth more than any transformer out there. my encore optimus prime. last year my family has some economic problems cause my mom was in a bad car crash and couldn't work. my brother wouldn't help the family cause he is an asshole....i, at 16, went to work at mc donalds to try to help as much as i could, cause my dad was working his ass off to make sure we could have a happy home to live in, food to eat, and clothes to wear.....i gave him half of my puny pay check and used the other half to buy toys for my little brother, so his childhood would be happy like mine was, so my mom can have fun goin to a movie here and there cause she couldn't do much, and so my dad could ease up at work. i bought encore prime with a little spare change i had, the rest of the family said i was an idiot to spend that kind of cash on a toy, but my dad said it was alright and he helped me order it....that toy reminds me to take care of my family and it means sooo much to me...and for someone to say i am a mindless hasbro zombie, it pisses me off...i have a reason to be a fan, do you? i didn't have many transformers when i was really little, so i get them now cause i enjoy them.....so you can stop with the crap

3. robofreak

robofreak Well-Known Member

Either that or delete a bunch of posts.

This seemed like a genuinely interesting topic at first, but it went so far off course that I think even my attempt to put the thread back on track failed.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I absolutely love how people treat the G1 cartoon as though it's the sole piece of G1-related fiction in existence. :rolleyes2 

Sadly, the answer to the OP's question is 'yes'. Many contemporary youngsters I've encountered treat the Movie-verse as though it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and are ignorant (where they're not outright disdainful) of its origins. I think they don't know what they're missing.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    seems little sunstreaker116 has left the building, which means this thread can go back on topic and lets just say he has been "moviebashed"

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Well the younger brother of my best friend doesn't even know that there has been Transformers before the Movie. Than I calculated when he was born and I found out that he cannot know the series before, because he's just too young.

That's the point when you find out that you are getting old =/

7. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

that was a great story man, sincerely. Encore Prime is one of my favorites as well, highly cherished along with Encore Megs, mostly because I didn't have them as a kid and couldn't afford them, so to finally get them 22 years later was a huge deal to me. And the boxes just look awesome. Not to mention, Prime with a trailer/battlestation/medical bay kicks so much ass it needs to find more asses to kick!

Honestly though that's a great story. It's cool to see younger people man up and do what has to be done instead of sitting around whining all the time. You earned my respect with that post. (for whatever that's worth)

SunstreakerXXX's posts were fun to read, but god the wall of text and complete lack of puncuation really made it painful to try and read and figure out. By the 5th post I was giving you credit just for hanging in there.

"The Constructicons built Megatron, but Megatron built the Constructicons." :crazy: 

that had me lol :D . I'd completely forgotten about that.

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought he must be an (intentional) joke as well, because he's a spot on parody of G1 fanboyz foreva!!!!!! (actually, so's the OP a bit).

My favourite WTF comments of his:

"I'm pretty sure you'll find there's no plotholes in G1"

"The G1 cartoon makes you think."

Good grief, I'm a G1 fan and this made me chuckle!!

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Im not sure if this is a troll post or just very poorly thought out.
    Catering to the fans first is a very, very bad idea.
    They tried it with Alts, they tried it with Titanium, they tried it with G1 reissues.

Recurring theme between the three? All of these lines are dead (aside from the odd release as a retailer exclusive). Marketing towards the fans has never and will never work.

Simply put, it seems kids dont care remotely about these 'amazing' characters. They know what they see on TV; Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee.
    You may think a line of all those super awesome G1 characters that got a few minutes of 1 episode for a 'buy my toy' cameo deserve spots on shelves and the costs of making molds, but unless they can market it towards children its not worth the costs.

It really saddens me to see that people still cant see that Hasbro is trying to appease both. Make a small amount of stuff targeted at fans, whilst not screwing themselves over and doing only that.

But hey, what do I know. Past evidence is irrelevant, right?
    Lets just keep retreading the same ground forever!
    I cant wait to see a collector focused Hasbro using your ideas and then swiftly crashing and burning.

EDIT: In b4 'lol i troll u' :( 

10. Malikon

so reboot G1 in a universe/classics style deco. Do it in CGI.

The kids love the new show, it's all hip and edgy with computer graphics, and they want to buy the toys of these characters now that they now who they are.

Older collectors are ecstatic because they finally got a proper G1 reboot and an update of all their favorite toys.

all kids and adults get cool shows and new toys. Everyone's happy,.....except for all the people who hate it and complain about it.

11. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Dude, when I was 6 I only knew of Beast Wars which was like 1996. Would you have expected me to know something from 16 years earlier? Kids are only aware if the here and now. When they grow up and browse Transformers sites, they'll discover G1 and it's up to them to decide whether they like it or not. I'm not a fan but I use G1 as a way to get to know the characters.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I tried to read this thread but it quickly became a mess and some posts could really do with more punctuation and less blocks of solid eye-hurting text.

Anyway, the movies are the big thing right now and if that's what gets people into TF then great. Let them marinate in it for as long as they fancy. If they never leave Bay's robo world then at least they're in the game and Hasbro get their cash and other parts of the franchise get a few coins added to their development budgets.
    Hopefully they'll also go and check out the history of TF and find there's more than just Bay's version and they might even discover G1 and perhaps like that too. Some people act like G1 totally finished back in the 80s and hasn't been seen since. Didn't the cartoon just get some kind of re-release on DVD? And aren't some of IDW's comics based on the G1 characters and designs? Masterpiece and Universe figures have most if their basis firmly rooted in G1.

Rest in Transformers where you will. As long as you're in it then that's something, no matter which bit you're in and if you never step outside of the bit you're comfy with.

13. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    absolutely. honestly, what do you think looks more appealing to a kid these days?
    this?
    [​IMG]
    or this?
    [​IMG]

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd buy both. :) 

15. Dirge121

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Word. Both are awesome in their own way. They also both make great desk ornaments :D 

16. Malikon

yeah that's not even a fair comparison.

"Which looks better? This Hot Wheels car? Or this Lamborghini parked in the driveway?" Apples and Oranges.

Though for the record, they're both incredibly awesome for different reasons.

84 Prime - "I've got a trailer"
    09 Prime - "I've got double energon blades"
    84 Prime - "My trailer turns into a battle station"
    09 Prime - "I light up and my chest moves"
    84 - "I came with all kinds of cool accessories"
    09 - "I'm like a Masterpiece for $50."
    84 - "I was $50. twenty five years ago"
    09 - "I'm the next big new thing"
    84 - "You are me. Without me, there would be no you."
    09 - "I'm in the summers hottest movie"
    84 - "I've been in the hearts and minds of millions of fans for 25 years, every year gaining new fans."
    09 - "I'm in a Michael Bay movie."
    84 - "Ahhh, you almost got me old dog. You're supposed to one up, not back step."
    09 - "I'm sorry"
    84 - "I'm Optimus Prime!"

*so sorry, couldn't resist.*

17. Dirge121

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Seriously, just put 'em side by side. Its awesome to be able to look over and see just how much has changed in 25 years.

18. Malikon

even cooler to see how much is still the same. It's still the same Prime, just not as boxy and simple to transform. But I've always thought movie Prime was extremely G1 looking. Especially in colors but there's alot of little things they both share.

very cool.

to be fair for the pictures posted though I would think the G1 Prime next to a Deluxe Animated Prime would be a more fair comparison. Or the Masterpiece Prime next to the Leader 09 Prime.

19. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Cumonass? Is that you?

I was sad when the new Optimus Prime died. To be completely honest, I didn't feel nearly as choked up when I saw the old one. Pretty much because in the old one, he died and then everyone after that was all like
    'Well, whos gonna be the new leader now?'
    That was stupid. In the live action movie you actually see Sam pretty freaking shocked at what just happened. And you see other characters emotions throughout the film. Even Ironhide said 'That's not what Optimus would want'. Did the old Ironhide ever say that? Oh right he was killed 10 minutes into the movie and said barely anything.

20. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Gah, some of you need to stop posting from your phones. Or at least find phones that let you format your text correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.