Is IT TRUE???????

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who ? ;) 

2. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Beedly Beedly!

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The G1 cartoon series will always be what started it all and probably the most enjoyment to watch, but I just don't think it can hold it's own against the movie unless people are fans of the original series.

4. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    The voice acting, the movie, and the characters. Of all the things G1 left upon me, it's them. I'm 19 (just a tad out of your range).

Personally, when I think of TF, I dont think of the movie, I think of BW first, G1 second. I grew up with G1 toys my uncle gave me, but I always watched BW and made sure to get all the In Show Toys (Save Inferno...I got Scavenger instead).

The movie...I don't think the characters are better then G1, but it's live action Transformers. Its fucking awesome. Yes there are visual gags, but we see Devastator combine, and see an amazing Prime Megs battle, and just seeing a transformation is excellent.

They are different and I like them both. Maybe I like the G1 FICTION compared to the movie, but the cartoon might be on par with it.

5. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I've only just turned 18 and I find the movie stuff to be leaps and bounds better than G1. Toy wise and comic wise at least.

6. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Kids care about movie more, because that's what they're growing up with. I was born during the Beast Era, and I still care more for it than I do for G1. I have a lot more nostlagic attachment to it than I do towards AEC or any other series.

7. Brawlastator

Brawlastator "woah oh oh woah oh oh" - tarzan boy, baltimora

News Credits:
    I don't believe it!

8. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

My kids 13 and 7 are big fans, and are understanding the G1 stuff because they've asked questions about it, and how the movie came to be. My oldest son thought it would be cool to get me the G1 Cartoon for Father's Day. They both love it, and the little one even puts it on at night to go to sleep. The next morning he has a bunch of questions about it. I have created a monster with the little one.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess those little kids will never be TRUE FANS, so remember, if you see one in the toy aisle between you and the figures you want, be sure to shove him out of the way so he can see how HARDCORE you are. You've been collecting since you were a kid, you deserve that toy more.

10. Neuco

Neuco Well-Known Member

Were you a kid in the 80's? G1 is probably your favorite.

Kid in the 90's? Probably Beast Wars/Machines, maybe G2 (which is G1 anyway).

Kid now? Animated and/or movie stuff is probably your thing.

Simple as that.

11. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

The Face of Nijika always puts me to sleep :lol 

Back in high school I would always watch a G1 episode right when I got home and I remember watching that episode and I couldn't stay awake xD

12. battleboy

battleboy Admiral of Awesomness

the kids are getting repeated exposure to the movie content. That is why they trend more towards the movie line... If you were bombarded with G1 (like I was) that is what you'll lean towards. It's about marketing and branding, especially for teenagers and preteens.

"It's cool to like what everybody else likes, and everybody must like what I keep seeing everyday or I wouldn't be seeing it."

Ergo, The newer fans like Movie transformers because Paramount has pumped a lot of money into the advertising, whereas G1 stopped advertising somewhere in the 90's (correct me if I'm wrong on that)

Of course I'm speaking generally and there are statistical outliers of teens that will like G1 based on "retro" value and psuedo-nostalgia. Same goes for music, clothing and all other areas of pop culture.

...I should write a psychology dissertation on this, I think I could get a few hundred pages on this topic...

13. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    It's only a half-truth. I grew up with G1, loved it and I'm at 31 now loving current ROTF just as much.

It's all about whether a personality is willing to evolve with the times, or if you're a person who's stuck in the past and who will always say "oh, I miss those good ol' days".

14. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Its a shame huh? Maybe for the more complicated transformations?

15. xage

xage Well-Known Member

I think reality with the cultre now is that the younger generation (boys) are more into GF (girlfriends) than G1.

16. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Yes, just like I care more for Beast Wars, Classics and Animated more tha any other lines.

17. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    I don't really like G1 too much, to be honest. I'm more of a Beast Wars, Universe and Animated guy. I hate the movie, but some of the toys are great.

18. JFGuy4VT58

JFGuy4VT58 Well-Known Member

I'm 17 and am more into the movies than anything right now. Born in 92, I saw a few episodes of Beast Wars and RID, but when Armada came to Cartoon Network in the afternoons before dinner, that's when I got hooked. I watched that show religiously and regardless of how it holds up to other series, it will always be my favorite. Armada Hotshot was my first Transformer, not a hand-me-down or dollar store knock off, but my first real toy that was all mine straight from the store. I fell out the Transformer world for a couple years once Cybertron came around and then after the first movie I came right back. And to answer the specific question, I've seen a few G1 episodes online and while they are entertaining, I just don't enjoy them the same as the current stuff or things from my childhood in the 90s and earlier 2000s.

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So are you suggesting that if you didn't grow up loving G1 then you'll never be a "true fan?"

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not too long ago when Classics and Beasts 10th were on sale in TRU, Freyabeads and I saw kids looking fondly at the Classics and they thought the Classics were new in all sense of new. The a pre-teen picked up a Rhinox and quickly put it down. It a dejected voice said, "That's old! He turns into a rhino!" I thought it was funny and felt proud at the same time. :lol :wink: :D 

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.