Is it possible Bay's finally GOT IT?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transformervic1, May 31, 2014.

1. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes I really should know better by now. I'm going in with VERY low expectations.

All of them have great action but suffer from poor villains, too much military love and really really weak plots.

If somehow AOE fixes all the recurring problems, I'll GLADLY acknowledge it.

I want there to be a TF movie that I can hold in similar regard to the Avengers, heck even Pacific Rim would do.

I also want to remind everyone that all the trailers for ROTF and DOTM really did a great job of selling the movies, these trailers are no different.

Michael Bay is an action director but isn't a well rounded movie maker.

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    this. feels much more solid story wise for the main bots. Plus Bay previously hated the existence of the Dinobots, but finally saw their *ahem massive - potential. :D 

3. Bullslag

Bullslag Member

Yeah, a few of my real life friends even said they won't watch it in theatres and wait for it to go up online. sigh..

4. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:

5. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    But to have a good time, you need a good movie.

6. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The ads are always great. We won't be able to tell what's wrong until we see the movie.

We already know humans are some of the central villans and we've seen Mark Whalburg running around fighting TFormers with his "alien gun".

More disturbingly, based off the toys there's a real dirth of villans this time.

Don't get your hopes up.

7. Gluttobot

Gluttobot Well-Known Member

You know, I think the problem would be Hollywood convention, if you can identify something like that. I heard from a Japanese friend that while Japanese love robots, americans seem to have robots. Thats why the movies' focus is on the humans. Well, there's the logistics issues, it's cheaper to keep filming humans than CGI-ing robots doing most of the work. It'll be a challenge to break the human-centered convention.

8. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    I get what your saying, and I agree except that, we've never had a "simply Autobots vs Decepticons" movie. It's always been Sam and the US Army Vs Decepticons, with a little Autobot Back-up and a lot of alt-mode chauffeuring! (I know I might be oversimplifying the role of some Autobots, well, Prime, but you get my point)

What's interesting this time is that the doors swung the other way, it's like Autobots Vs Extremist Humans, with a 3rd party (lockdown and who knows who else) on everyone's case!

9. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Money-making potential. We could have told him that years ago.

10. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

well, I am too, but that is a price thing, not the rating.

11. sawwheeler

sawwheeler Gundam Meister

People just need to learn how to have a good time and just watch these damn movies for the entertainment value.

12. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    I will say, the lack of military involvement during the big fight scenes has me more hyped than I'd normally be.

Plus the human cast (barring Stanley Tucci, who's going to be Agent Simmons at best, Deep Wang at worst) seems more likeable than the past movies.

13. sawwheeler

yes, I want good backgrounds for these character.

14. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    well said

15. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I value as entertaining ≠ What you find entertaining.

I don't find hideous robot designs entertaining, or toilet humor, or contrived conspiracies. I find Megan Fox mildly sexually appealing at best, plastic-looking at worst. I find every human in the first movie to be mind-numbingly boring and unlikable, because they're clearly written from two-word summaries(Teenage Boy, Hot Girl, Government Agent, Black Hacker, etc;...). Even if I could somehow "turn my brain off"(I can't) to ignore the dumb, contrived bits of story, I'm going to see the flaws the moment I put the slightest bit of thought into things like Barricade's disappearance, or the glasses, or driving the magical cube through a desert to hide it from a robot army in a crowded city.

And that's just the first one. I haven't bothered with the other two, because even after all that awfulness, people still consider it the best of the three.

So, to answer the topic at hand, I find it very unlikely that Bay's going to get the fourth movie "right" after the last three have been so abysmal. I admit that the designs are signifigantly better this time, but unless Bay spontaneously became a nerd and started getting picky with the script, he's more than likely to churn out more of the same mediocrity targeted towards Joe Frat, teenage boys, and absolutely no one else.

16. sawwheeler

The first one was annoying, I will admit, and the robot designs aren't the worst I've seen.

17. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    from my OP:
    To each their own when it comes to how "good" Bay's movies are to some people vs other people. Hell, if there are people that find Beevis and Butthead entertaining worth a damn then there are a shit ton of people who love Bay's movies, despite what they mean to artistic cinema.

Whether the humans deliver or not, I'd say its pretty clear we're gonna have a lot more of humans vs/helping robots than humans vs/helping humans thing they kept going with in the last trilogy. To sum it up, and to put it simply, I firmly believe there will be tons of scenes with robots in them this time, where it wont be a case where robots are in the background/ lack screentime/die instantly/get the spotlight taken for the sake of the human story.

18. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Ok. But let me take a note of this. Let's test your beliefs after the movie is out! ;) 

19. sawwheeler

As long as there is Transformers in the movie, I'll see it.

20. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    I'll see it too, and I'll probably enjoy it for what it is. But I'm still sceptical about how much Bay and co have learned from the mistakes of the past!! ;)