Is it just me ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wheelnut, Nov 12, 2013.

1. wheelnut

wheelnut Well-Known Member

I've become fasinated with Alternators , probably one of the few , but when I do a search for them either here or on Ebay I see "some" people list them as Masterpiece , is this another name for them or are people hoping or confused what they are.

They are really nice to have , complex as hell to transform but awesome in my book. Wish I could afford more but the price on these are kinda through the roof on some which I don't understand. Then there's Binaltech , WTF are those?

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

They're just adding "masterpiece" because it's a popular search term right now. People do it for many toy lines, and it simply increases their chance of being included in your search.

And Binaltech is the Japan release, which usually includes diecast parts.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, people just throw in whatever popular tagline in their auction titles they can to get them to appear in more search results. Another example of this is all the Prime stuff that turns up when you search for Transformers Animated toys.

4. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    IMO Binaltech is the way to go they are the Japanese line to the US line of Alternators . They are die cast but have tremendous paint jobs that do have a tendency to chip if you are not careful. Superquad7 is very passionate about both lines as well. There is a specific thread here on the boards for fans of the line. Give me a moment and I'll link you to it.

Edit:http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/235171-alternators-binaltech-fandom-unite-lets-see-some-pics.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/transformers-alternators-60/
    http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/transformers-binaltech-293/

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    chipping isnt the only problem with binaltech, there's the odd paint fading/discoloration silverstreaks have going on lately, and the smaller character selection compared to alternators.

6. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    About the chipping on Binaltechs, they're 10 years old now and virtually none of my 20+ BTs have paint chips. And if they haven't accrued them in the last decade, why should they in the next? I agree that being careful is the key, but it's really not that hard and should not at any stage be a deciding factor in one's choice to collect BT or Alternators.

Agreed the discolouration on BT-19 Bluestreak is shocking and the parts fitting on BTA01 Alert is a damn shame, but as far as character selection goes, I'm not sure the extra variety of available characters is quite as rich as the roster would suggest.

Anyway, here's my tribute to Binaltech:

Binaltech BT-01 to BT-04 | Source Blog
    Binaltech BT-05 to BT-08 | Source Blog
    Binaltech BT-09 to BT-12 | Source Blog
    Binaltech BT-13 to BT-16 | Source Blog
    Binaltech: Asterisk BTA-01 to BTA-03 | Source Blog

All the best
    Maz

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if you go straight bt, you miss blue mirage, rumble, and jag ravage (my personal favorite mold from the entire series)

8. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed, Mirage and Jag Ravage are must haves.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    That's why you need to collect BT + Alt exclusives. :) 

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    And Decepticharge. Odd name, but I love his colors.

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To add something to what the op is asking, I think part of the reason people add the term masterpiece to listing of them is also due to the fact that at the time, they were used in promotional shots with the MP-01/04 figures.

12. Jumbotron

Jumbotron Well-Known Member

Well, Alternators are masterpieces, just not Masterpieces...if you get my meaning.

But really, it probably has a lot to do with sellers just including the name of every TF toyline they can in their listing titles so they show up on more searches. I don't know how many listings I've seen that are titled some variation on "EnergonCybertronArmadaGenerationsMovieG1MasterpieceAlternatorsBinaltechRIDPrimeKissPlayersG2 [character] [email protected]@K!!!!"

Of course, it's really the '[email protected]@K' that's the true source of their power.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    To piggyback Maz here, this article also by him explains much as well: Binaltech and Masterpiece: 10 Years Ago | Source Blog

See also: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...al-mp-01-masterpiece-prime-still-amazing.html

14. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

As posted before, they add 'masterpiece' to a lot of e-bay descriptions because it's a popular search criteria and thus a bigger chance to sell. I've even seen Armada figures with the term Masterpiece in the title. (It's the same with terms like Optimus: there are sellers that include "not optimus" in the listing because Optimus is a popular searchterm.)

Doesn't mean alt/bt aren't Masterpieces, because they are their own: not perfect representations of the G1 characters, but well made figures that transform into modelcar quality realistic cars, with steering, a complete interior, and opening doors/hood/trunk. Great as the new MP's are, I'm in many ways more impressed with alts.

Thus, buying alternators: excellent choice !!!

I think the best way is to pick and choose from the different lines.
    - Alternators are the Hasbro version. All plastic and very little paint. Several characters were only released as alternators.
    - Binaltech is the Japanese version. Part metal and the cars are completely painted. They look a lot better and as Maz pointed out, chipping really isn't an issue. (Just be careful with the metal on metal parts with the Dodge Viper and the corvette.) The diecast gives the figure a nice heft, but it can interfere with poseability a bit. There are a few unique deco's with the BT like the yellow Tracks, blue Prowl, red Jazz/Meister, blue Streak, and Arcee.
    - Binaltech Asterisk (BT*): Same as the Binaltech, but come with human drivers, all girls, that tie into TF fiction. Only three figures, but all three of them look good. Alert does suffer from some ill fitting parts, but most can be fixed.
    - Kiss Players. Plastic like Alternators, but with a paintjob like Binaltech. Really the best of both worlds. They also come with female drivers including Marissa Fairborn from G1. Please ignore the horrible fiction. The three figures include the best version of alt Prime, a beautiful police version of the Mazda, and the most stunning version of the Ford GT mold.

Hint: there's also a nice thread hanging around here called the BT/Alt appreciation thread with lots of pics and tips.

15. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Alternators/Binaltech are some of the greatest toys ever made. Don't listen to people saying the current Masterpiece line blow them away. They don't. When Masterpieces have a full car interior, I'll start listening.

16. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

If you only own one, make it Jaguar Ravage (not Battle Ravage, which is a different mold altogether).

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Well if eBay would quit warping the search results sellers wouldn't have to stuff their listings with unrelated keywords.

18. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    My biggest pet peeves are when they use "Lot" and "G1" wrong.
    A lot is not one piece!