Is it ethical to troopbuild?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Sonscreen, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I figure some things are just meant to be troopbuilding material. Stormtroopers, vehicon drones, Energon terrorcons, etc. I had a nice little army of Episode 3 clones for a while and it was pretty cool. I figure as long as you don't make daily runs to every store in 100 mile radius and clean out their supply of what you're after, then it's ok.

As for Scrapmetal... yeah he's 1 per case now, but he'll 2 per case in the next wave I believe. He's not exactly a major character and basics sell pretty well anyway, so I wouldn't feel bad about getting a few extras. Unless you're trying to get like 50 of them or something.

I was tempted to build the GF rambles, kinda wish I had now. I could sell them for so much extra now. :p  I'm pretty happy with my 3, but I may pick up a Scrapmetal and do a repaint or two. Probably not cause I'm lazy, but I'd like to.

2. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I've done some troop building with Cobras and Clone Troopers, but not in very large numbers. I have 7 Crimson Guards, 4 B.A.T.s and 3 each of Vipers and Clone Troopers.

I think that pretty much means I'm okay with the idea of troop building. And yes, I play with my toys from time to time. Though I'd be a bit cheesed if I found out that I just missed a toy I wanted because another collector bought all of them.

My original plan with Rumbles/Scrapmetals was to get just one of each color as a combat squad: the red command unit, the blue science officer, and the yellow demolitions expert.

Now that the Rumbles are so damn hard to find, I have a new plan. I'll buy a total of three Scrapmetals. When Hasbro reveals their repaint, I'll decide which version I'll buy two of.

Of course, waiting for Hasbro to reveal which color they were going to release is the reason why I don't have any of the Rumbles. :banghead: 

3. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well it all depends on your moral base for what is ethical or not. Many Star Wars fans seem to believe in this laughable collector's code about looking out for your fellow collector and only taking what you need, I'm okay you're okay happy horseshit.

If I'm army building, which I do with my clones from Star Wars (check the title), I buy as many of what I need until I have my desired number. Once I have my 10, 20, etc. clones, I leave any subsequent ones I see. Now if a kid happens to be there while I've got a couple clones in my hands, I'll offer one up. I take care of myself first because I'm a selfish bastard when it comes to my collecting. Then I help family and friends after that. Everyone else is on their own.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just can't imagine many kiddies wanting Ramble/Scrapmetal anyway, so don't worry Sonscreen :) 
    What any kid who's familiar with the cartoon wants will be Coby's Ramble. And if Hasbro releases it (please), I don't think people would try troop building with that one.

I myself liked Energon Terrorcon troop building I saw somewhere.

5. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I army build Cobras and Clones, but I never have done it with Transformers. I also don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'll buy a repaint of a mold I like - in fact every different repaint Hasbro makes, but I won't buy more than one of the same Transformer.

6. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    If you see him on the shelf and you have the money ... more power to you. I don't see an issue in buying a toy.

I tend not to overthink simple decisions and save all my brain power for the NCAA tournament. :lol 

7. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I dont see a problem with it, it bothers me though. to see a guy in my area post pictures of his "troops" when I can't find a one.

8. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    *Shrug* It depends on the troop, really. Most figs... nah, but if you've got a fig that's an established 'trooper', then it's a possibility. Mostly with basics, as higher than that it gets expensive. The only figs I've done any troop building with were the Energon Terrorcons, and that was 3 each of the regulars, and 1 repaint. That gave me a nice hoarde to pose around Scorpinok, and more than that just gets unweildy. I don't feel there was any eithical issue (Any more than any other type of collecting is), as these buggers were shelf-warmers.

9. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

vehicon terrorcon seacon army

10. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well seeing as I have 29 terrorcons, and am troop building with these guys, in am going to vote no. It is not less ethical than collecting in the first place.

Now sure if something is short packed and only in one wave and your are hoarding it to resell, that is one thing. But driving arround a tracking down several of a mold to make a swarm and getting some off ebay, and taking advantage of Buy one get ones when they pop up is just specialized collecting. Collecting on a theme. Is it wrong for someone to have more than 2 of the rare cassettes, no.

If you have the money and the item is worth more to you than the money, and there is nothing you would rather or should rather spend the money on, they by all means go right ahead.

It's not like we are hoarding bread, water, and gasoline from people. Toys are not needs, they are wants.

What is next, is it Ethical to Pre-order? and Is it ethical to import?

11. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I've got me an Insecticon army that grows larger whenever I have the money to blow and I'm talking about the 3 originals, the 4 Deluxes, the Diaclone E-Hobby collection, and the reissues. Now, I'm going after the KOs and the pre-TF stuff. Just makes sense to have a ton of these guys (at least to me).

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Well, having not read anything that's been posted thus far, I'll say this:

Basically, I'd say it's alright to troopbuild. First, it's not like your buying up mass quantities of toys and then selling them on e-bay or something. You're buying these toys for yourself and how many you buy is ultimately up to you. Not to mention, these toys are made to be bought and, this is the hardcore capitalist in me, if it's on the shelf it's fair game.

13. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I'd troopbuild with something cheap, like jumpstarters.

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

When BM came out I was considering troopbuilding with Tank and Cycle Drones but knowing that it's gonna cost much time and money to acquire them I gave up on the idea soon after. It'd be nice to see someone with a large Drone army though.

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have a problem with someone troop building. But if you're at the store buying 2 of said figure and there is another guy also there looking for the figure I think you should give the other person equal share of the figures and not hog them all in his face.

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Unless you live in Amish Country...

17. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I don't think it's ethical to hoard shortpacked figures, but when it's multiples I figure it's fair game. I did a little Clone troop-building last summer myself, and while I only have a small squad (because that's all I could find, since everyone else was ALSO troop-building Clones), it was fun. Never had the urge with any TFs yet, though.

Whenever I've seen kids who want the toy bad enough, though, I give it up (I did that with the first Brushguard I found... ironically, he's now a peg-warmer). I figure toys are made for kids, and if you don't understand that, understand the greedy part--any toy that a kid destroys makes a mint one worth more in the long run. (I'm not proud of being a bit greedy, but I'm not going to lie about it and pretend to be noble. I just try to keep it under control.)

What irritates me aren't troop-builders or MISB collectors or pre-orderers or whatever. It's the Hot Wheels collectors, who, when they hear about a particularly rare TF or SW fig, immediately go out and buy them all on their latest scrounging expedition. But that's a story for another day.

18. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Troopbuild with Photoshop, it's cheaper.

19. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But far less satisfying

20. 'nok

'nok undead space monkey

the question to me is is it etical to Farking SHORT PACK the bastards? I hate short packing I think collectors should be able to buy CASE lots of individual figs at the Colector store, If I could do that i might just shell out the $$ to join I WANT MORE insecticons, old new deluxe basic watever AND I WANT more virilant clones. I love army building theres something cool about busting out the bats and just burrying a gi jpoe vehicle in a pile of broken bats. Another satuisfying image: wheelie, bumbelbee, and omega supreme being overran and devoured by insecticlones. Cualties: Heavy, but so much fun, I even buy junker Insecticons for more body count.