Is Hawaii really a U.S. state?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by urrutiap, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wunderbar

Wunderbar It's all so tiresome...

>is Hawaii really a state
    Unfortunately yes. Last time I was there it became very obvious just how much the locals despise mainlanders, nevermind the fact the tourism is the lifeblood of this "state".

• Like Like x 1
  2. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Why do we need TWO Dakotas? It was a single territory, largely uninhabited, and still is.
    TWO Virginias?
    TWO Carolinas?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Yeah man, I'm serious. Look at Hawaii. They have no pro sports teams and when bands announce tour dates you never see Hawaii on the list. A former boss of mine grew up in Hawaii and he said he couldn't wait to move off the island. He said you feel stuck there.

4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Usually, that comes down to politics and gerrymandering. Kansas extended all the way to the Rocky Mountains when it was a territory. Legislators drew the west side line further east to avoid having too many pro-slave voters so that Kansas could enter into the Union as a Free State during the Civil War. But this created a new minor yet somewhat persistent problem. The Arkansas River is basically controlled by Colorado and farmers there irrigate the water. This leaves Kansas farmers often with too little water for their crops. There's an inter-state compact that regulates compromises made about 80 years ago but, occasionally, things still end up going to court. And there's still complaints and grumbling from downstream Kansans and Oklahomans. The river through Wichita is usually only a couple feet deep at its lowest points. The city has to dam up sections of it just to make it look full in the downtown area.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Went to Hawaii with my parents way back in the late 90s. Very beautiful. But i wouldn't want to live there. You are kinda stuck. You can travel around your island, but are mostly stuck there. I don't think there are ferries between the islands.

to me there are places i'd visit, but would never livd in. If i was visiting new england, i'd visit Nantucket, but there is not much there. A few museums. Been watching Wings and will google map places mentioned. A few are real, bug most are fake. But i look at places there and such and i'd be bored out of my mind. No real theater. One grocery store. No retail shopping. Most looks to be gift stores or tourist places.

me i like to travel to a mall or Walmart/Target/Meijer type place. Try to find odds and ends lots of places are way too small or isolated.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Dude. I just got cold looking at that pic. I'm going to go turn the furnace on now...

7. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Unless you have a good paying job, win the lottery or inherit a lot of money, you really can't leave Hawaii, can you? Airfare is expensive in and out of the islands. So yeah, if you want to experience different kinds of landscapes, you're kind of SOL.

There are actually two ferries between islands. But it sounds like most people fly.
    Traveling to Different Islands in Hawaii

8. Triceradon

Triceradon Sunbow Delenda Est

It was illegally annexed for the benefit of American sugar interests, but yes, it became a state in 1959.

This is the dumbest thread ever.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gil

gil Godmaster

During MOS school for the Marine Corps, another Marine asked me how I was able to join the Marines. I told him I was born and raised in Hawaii. But he still had a confused face. It was funny.

Also, I've been to other places in the US. I have the same feelings about them as some of you of Hawaii. Great place to visit, never want to live there.

Sorry to hear your experience in Hawaii was ruined by the locals. If it makes you feel any better, the locals that despise mainlanders usually despise everybody else too.

I can see your point if you if you just said "you couldn't pay me to LIVE in Hawaii or Alaska", but you seriously should consider visiting Hawaii or Alaska if someone payed you for it. I mean, Pro Sports or concerts shouldn't really matter if you're only visiting for a week or so. I've been to New Orleans during the off season, so I never got to see the Pelicans or Saints play, but still had things to do in the week I was there. I'm sure you can find things to do in Hawaii or Alaska occupy yourself for at least a week. But I'm not saying you should spend your own money and come, just that, if someone pays you, take the chance.

There's no real ferries to travel from island to island. The ones you got mentioned is just ferries from Maui to Lanai or Molokai (two of the smaller islands). We did have a "Superferry" that traveled from Honolulu to the Maui but that quicky went out of business. Lots of protests for it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go visit either state for free dude.

11. gil

gil Godmaster

Fair enough. Me on the other hand would love to go to Alaska for free.

12. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WHY IS THERE A WEST VIRGINIA BUT NO EAST VIRGINIA

• Like Like x 1
  13. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Good thing that no question about Louisiana courses of using the term "Parish" rather then "County" like most states are.

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It's just a leftover nomenclature because of its history of being territories of both Spain and France. Nothing to get upset about.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I've been to 3 islands in 4 trips. I'd go as often as I can.

Seattle's a great place to live, but I'm not against a couple weeks in Hawaii every so often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.