Is Hasbro In Jeopardy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dire 51, Jan 25, 2023.

?

Is Hasbro In Jeopardy?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2023.
  1. Yes! Have you seen these prices?

34.7%
  2. No. Everything is fine.

65.3%
  1. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 10
  2. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Shits been happening with hasbro lately.

-Cutting off plastic windows
    -Cutting off jobs from multiple subsidiaries
    -Media bombing
    -Toy QC decreasing
    -Revenue going down

• Like Like x 6
  4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Phrases like "challenging holiday consumer environment" are alot of what's wrong with the economy in recent years decades. It's all lies and deflection. They want to do something foolish or unpopular and, when it fails, don't want to take responsibility for that decision. Just that phrase alone places blame on the consumer. It's not the product, or marketing, or logistics, or anything but the dirty rotten consumer being difficult and "challenging." Well, gee, if you can't identify the actual problem(s), how the hell do you think you'll come up with a solution?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 11
  5. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NO, CHARGING $25 FOR FLIMSY, HOLLOW P.O.S. EARTHSPARK "DELUXES" IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Seriously, granted that I'm looking at it from an adult collector point of view, but some of their choices lately have left me legitimately gobsmacked. They want to charge how much for what?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  6. RKillian

News Credits:
    When I take a step back from the hobby, there's a larger picture that I don't like.

So, like I've said before, I work in software. In that market, I've seen this shift over the last decade or so. I struggle a little to put this into words so bear with me. You used to see a general attitude where they wanted as many customers as possible. That translated into stuff like more features, more accessibility, and more compatibility. Then came the lust for control. Only one platform or use case supported. Can't reinstall or resell. Must pay a subscription fee. Microtransactions everywhere. It's less about them asking you to buy and more about them telling you what you'll do for the privilege of renting as long as they feel like it. The entire customer-company relationship is turned on its head. I don't like the terms, so I get shut out of more and more stuff that goes this route.

I think toys follow this to some extent. I don't think they're trying to make the best toys they can in an effort to get us to buy them. Everything, instead, is a forced compromise; an exercise in seeing how much we'll tolerate. Here's your half-baked Starscream, take it or leave it. The open box deal is just the latest thing. They know we don't like it. They just don't care. We're supposed to suck it up and be thankful they get three waves of dinged or decapitated toys to a few stores every year. It makes me want to shut down just as fast as digital downloads and subscription fees.

I won't say I wasn't pessimistic as a kid, because I was, but there are so many facets of life these days where instead of imagining how things might be better tomorrow, I just wait for the next attack from these people.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
  7. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Basically this. If this all this shit keeps going on and getting worse, people are gonna get tired of Hasbro's shit. I know damn well I am.

• Like Like x 3
  8. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've enjoyed this thread. It's very embaressing.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Do you mean like shoveling literally 100 bumblebee figures at customers at the expense of other fantastic characters?

In what way?

Please provide facts and statistics as opposed to hyperbole and ridicule. And do remember, it's just a question and everyone is simply trying to help Hasbro.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  10. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'll check with my data analysis team on why something may feel embaressing and get back to you. At some point. In life. Possibly.

• Like Like x 13
  11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's gotten worse since Cocks took over. IIRC, people hated how he mishandled WOTC and they suffered some serious losses under his watch, all while Goldner was fighting his personal battle we didn't know about. We all got mad at Alta Fox for wanting to replace Cocks and their hostile takeover methods, and I'm not saying they were right or were going to do the right thing, but maybe they saw something in him we didn't and they knew he was going to lead them down the current path.

I don't know how you focus on core brands, and licensed brands, then gut the remaining brands by getting to them if/when you can, raise prices, and still make promises to shareholders about returns. On top of selling the just recently bought eOne, and the whole thing with WOTC/MTG/D&D. (It's turning into quite the debacle.) Goldner wasn't perfect, but the man ran the show for a good long while and it wasn't the mess it is today. We can blame the pandemic, absolutely, but past a certain point, Cocks and his choices have brought us here, too. I can't imagine flipping a company this soon after buying it is a good look. It's bad when you're a homeowner who does it (they recommend staying in it at least 5 years), so I can only imagine what it's like to do that with a company.

I get that they're bleeding money, but I'm not sure this is the way to go. It feels like they need someone more competent at the helm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WallflowerBlush

WallflowerBlush Well-Known Member

you have added nothing other then mocking those who worry about hasbros buissness choices and they as customers are rightfully concerned due to the lowering standards of product and with the increasing price

and you just mock them, you are the reason they get away with trying less and making us pay more

• Like Like x 1
  13. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thank you. You’ve helped me understand myself better.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Ditko

Ditko Well-Known Member

I would just emphasize the issue is not popularity or health of brands, but rather that the CEO and other fatcats MUST have as many zeros in their salaries as possible. No matter who needs to be laid off or what other costs must be cut.

• Like Like x 7
  15. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

embarrysing*

• Like Like x 8
  16. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    Profits must not stop, no matter the cost.

• Like Like x 5
  17. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I wish you'd take this a little more seriously.

• Like Like x 7
  18. RKillian

News Credits:
    Here's where we're going to disagree. In later years of his reign, I felt that Goldner didn't want to run a toy company but a media company. Buying eOne was just another of those moves that only makes sense if you look at it under that light. If it had never been bought, it wouldn't be there to flip now. When I look at how Hasbro's media ventures have played out, what I see is almost...I don't know the right word...robotic? Like they knew all of the ingredients they needed, so they bought them, but thought that simply sitting them next to each other on the table would spontaneously produce a cake. I think that happened because they approached it a little backwards. They wanted to tell stories, so they bought the gear, and hoped stories would come from it. That can work, if you're a toy company using stories to sell toys. But for media, I think the stories come _before_ the means to produce them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Putting the ‘Bi’ in Bionicle.

News Credits:
    Hasbro as a whole, no.

But I feel we are slipping into another low point for TFs, prices are going up, but quality has noticeably dropped from the days of Siege. Hot Shot is a good figure but there is no hiding the fact his plastic feels cheap (not FoC levels of cheap, but a downgrade from Kingdom for sure). And I feel like the franchise has started to stagnate and is chugging along mainly by nostalgia.

I think it will be interest8ng in a few years when the nostalgia gravy train starts to run dry and we see a newer generation of fans come along who have ho attachment to G1 and Hasbro can't just sell them the seventy bazillionth G1 figure.

• Like Like x 4
  20. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

Barry, it has to be enough for you that I take oir relationship seriously.

Love you, boo.

• Like Like x 3