Is Galvatron truly Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hyoumaru, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Through all the debates over the years over who became who when Unicron created the movie/season 3 Decepticons, it's generally accepted that whoever they were before was a completely different person from who they would become. I've been reading that Skywarp, Thundercracker and the Insecticons died inbetween getting thrown out of Astrotrain and running into Unicron, which I could believe because they all seem pretty dead up until their reformatting, so it makes sense to assume that they were simply used as raw materials to create new life rather than giving new bodies to the existing Decepticons.

This obviously doesn't apply to Megatron, who was just barely alive enough to barter with Unicron prior to becoming Galvatron. However after becoming Galvatron, it never seemed as though Galvaton ever actully identified himself as Megatron, which has me wondering, IS Galvatron truly just Megatron in a new body, or was Megatron's life effectively ended to give new life that would become Galvatron? Should they genuinly be considered the same person?

While it feels like a safe assumption given Galvatron's similar megamaniacal tendencies and attitude towards Starscream, I can't help but wonder.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Soundlips

Soundlips Yes, they are real

I always assumed it was Megatron who finally lost it. Megatron was a harden brutal general who still had some sense of morals kinda, but Galvatron was the embodiment of chaos. He wanted to kill everyone and everything friendly or not. He just wanted chaos because he died knowing that he has failed and that everything he fought for has failed. Galvatron was someone who fought and lost everything and was reincarnated a slave to chaos.

I honestly really like them being the same characters and don't want them to be separate cause then it just gets messy on who's the boss. I also dig the recent autobot Megatron arc where when Galvatron dies he turns back to Megatron seeing the error in his ways and remembers why he started fighting in the first place, to not be a slave. Of course he's still Megatron so it's a fucked up repenting, but it's the thought that counts

• Like Like x 3
  3. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I think you're forgetting the point in the Movie when Galvatron remarks "First Prime, then Magnus, now you [Hot Rod]," thus showing that he does consider himself to be Megatron, just in a different body and with a new lease on life. Astrotrain also remarks during Five Faces of Darkness that he and Galvatron were the same guy, after Cyclonus corrects him as to who Decepticon leader is.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

That felt more like just Galvatron listing off the Autobot leaders that had died in such close occurance, considering Galvatron didn't "kill" Ultra Magnus himself, but semantics and all, you could be right.

5. AtomicGarden

AtomicGarden Well-Known Member

I always liked to think that in the movie, there was still shades of Megatron inside Galvatron. He’s not just Megatron with a new body, he’s a new character, but he’s a bit still Megatron too. In season 3 after the plasma bath, Megatron is 100% gone and Galvatron is truly his own insane self.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Even he doesn't know.

• Like Like x 3
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I mean, it definitely wasn't. It was clearly Galvatron boasting about his accomplishments because he specifically refers to their ease of death denying him satisfaction. If he didn't consider himself Megatron then why would he list his death as among those he felt died "so easily?"

Galvatron is Megatron. I honestly never thought this was ever in question.

• Like Like x 10
  8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is basically my thinking too.

I think the main thing to consider is why would Unicron bargain with Megatron if he didn’t need to?

Unicron molded the dead Decepticons into new TFs with ease. So why bargain with Megatron at all? Why not forcibly reformat him into Galvatron & then torture him until he submits & obeys Unicron like he was already doing in the movie anyway?

Why not just kill Megatron & then take his dead husk and turn it into Galvatron? He has the power. Nothing is stopping him.

There must be some reason that Unicron needed Megatron to willingly allow himself to be remade.

All I can think of, is that a lifeless carcass might not be able to be reborn with the millions of years of experience that Megatron had. Not that it really slowed down Cyclonus or Scourge, but Unicron may have wanted Galvatron to retain all the memories, experience and battle prowess of Megatron for such an important task as destroying the Matrix.

Now whether it was Megatron with a new body or just a new person altogether reincarnated with the memories of someone else is up to personal opinion.

I like to think that Galvatron is a new person with all the memories of Megatron. So while he recognizes people and remembers events, he handles them in a way that is distinctly different from Megatron. And especially after the plasma bath fried his brain, it’s definitely no longer even remotely Megatron anymore.

• Like Like x 3
  9. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Depends on the media. Cartoon and Marvel Galvatron Knows he's Megatron. Established in Movie and In the issue when ratchet crashes the Ark (again) I think it was Full Circle. Future Galvatron comes face to face with Megatron and Say But I'm Megatron. He feared Megatron's death might even affect him.
    Season 3 was bad. He had PTSD. He got therapy and was all better by the Optimus Returns thing. They just pick up like nothing had happened

10. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Like a lot of the other comments, I think that there are remnants of Megatron in Galvatron but overall he is a new person. I'm sure the old grudges and hatreds are still around since those are strong emotions/attachments but otherwise they're different individuals. Personally i like the idea of Megatron still running around somewhere during Galvatron's reign but for the purposes of this thread, we'll keep them as one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

“ it never seemed as though Galvaton ever actully identified himself as Megatron“?

First Prime, then Ultra Magnus....and now you.Its a bitty you autobots die so easily or I might have a sense of Satisfaction

that’s a clear example of Galvatron identifying himself as Megatron

this dialog says Yes

I shall provide you with a New Body and new troops to command
    without any internal conflict between the 2 Personalities during the film I really don’t see why any person would conclude this
    Unicron really wasn’t doing the bargaining

he seemed Genuinely impressed by the unmitigated gall of Megatron demanding Retribution for his services
    I figured aUnicron knew he couldn’t create someone that could accomplish the job No matter how much torture

After all, Megatron almost finished the job at autobot city, and I don’t see Scourge it Cyclonus doing the same
    Yeah I could pretty much agree with that, but I think that it was Megatron with a new body not a just a new person with the old memories of someone

Because the way I see it, a new person with the memories would be like a person reading a history file or personal Journal, All those memories Reduced to the mere facts of the events that formed those memories

But with out the same persona, the same identity, the same soul (Meaning Megatron) The substance, the flavour of those moment, would be lost to the new person

Galvatron is Megatron Rejuvenated like being made young again, how he reacted to Starscream Seems to reflect to me how one might behave with a huge boost of testosterone.....and the changes we see after the plasma Accident Being more related to both Brain damage/physical drama and psychological damage

• Like Like x 3
  12. trokanmariel33

trokanmariel33 Well-Known Member

I prefer to think that Galvatron is Megatron, because it makes Galvatron's battle with Hot Rod in the core of Unicron all the more important. In the core of Unicron, Optimus Prime's intervention can amount to being an Optimus Prime commentary on Megatron's new status - that Optimus Prime can go places that neither Megatron or Unicron can go, and thus, is a comparison.

By being a comparison, Optimus Prime highlights Megatron's horror status.

13. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Galvatron is Megatron, that's rarely disputed. I've always felt that Thundercracker, Skywarp, and the Insecticons were supposed to still be alive when Unicron turned them into new characters. In recent years, I've come to look at their change in personalities as being somewhat similar to the change in personalities of Rhinox, Silverbolt, and Waspinator when they became Tankor, Jetstorm, and Thrust in Beast Machines. The difference is that all three reverted back to their previous personas before the series ended. The reformatted Decepticons never did. As I've said before, Unicron must've been better at personality reprogramming.

14. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Though he also says in the movie "i galvatron will crush you just as Megatron crushed Prime." And magnus replies "and you'll die trying, just like Megatron. " so even there, galvatron seems to be loosing his grip on sanity a little if he considers himself megatron reborn. I think he is.

Optimus certainly seemed to consider them the same being when he came back.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SecretWyvern

SecretWyvern Tax fraud is the right of all sentient beings

For the cartoon it's a ship of Theseus situation, and relies on whether or not you count sparks as canon imo. After all, if they don't have sparks, or souls, they're defined by the memories and personalities, which dont really carry over for Galvatron by season 3 in any meaningful way, and with the entirely new body, theres little connection.
    The comic though? 100% Megatron just with a new hat and a bit insane

• Like Like x 2
  16. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Megatron always came across as old to me. I've often wondered if Galvatron’s voice is how he sounded when he was younger?

While I didn't minded IDW making them separate characters, my preference has always been that they are the same person. I was glad to see it that way in the Netflix show. I think it makes Galvatron more interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Wyldmaxx

Wyldmaxx No matter where you go, there you are.

Galvatron was trying to manipulate Unicron after having taken the matrix on the planet of junk and then his ineffective attack on Unicron when the latter started to attack Cybertron is more evidence that Megatron’s personality was still in control of the body.

18. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Not to me. In my head canon, they’re not related at all. As a kid, my priority was the toys and their tech spec bios. The cartoon was just sideshow entertainment— fun, but hardly the gospel. I didn’t like the direction taken with the ‘86 Movie, so I imaginatively extrapolate the tech spec information for my post-‘85 TF story. As far as I’m concerned, Megatron and Galvatron are two completely independent characters with separate and distinct histories. I see Galvatron as the Decepticon equivalent of Ultra Magnus, only without loyalty to his leader.

19. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we go strictly by cartoon continuity, after being refomated into Galvatron. Megatron was slowly dying throughout the movie due to Unicron's constantly punishing him due to his failures. Unicron's defeat and Galvatron's plasma bath made Galvatron's new personality emerge. Hints of Megatron still remained, but were mostly suppressed. That caused the insanity and Optimus using the Matrix and its "wisdom" to cure the hate plague helped begin to heal Galvatron's mind.

Personally, though, I prefer Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, and Sweeps to be unique characters rather than just old villains remade. The Autobots got a ton of NEW characters in the movie and the only new Decepticon was Ratbat. They didn't try to tell us Blurr was Tracks in a new body or stuff like that, so why should Thundercracker HAVE to be gone forever for Scourge to exist. I also tend to disregard most of the Autobot deaths also, the new characters just fight battles in different areas of the Earth or outer space.

+-MWG-+

20. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

“Constantly Punishing him“......Since when does two times Define The word “constantly”?

And why would Unicrons Torture be slowly killing “Megatron”?

You start your post by saying your going “strictly by cartoon continuity” but then post a strong personal interpretation that sure may be possible but is a world away from following the cartoon continuity “Strictly” by the definition of the word

And don’t get me wrong,there’s nothing wrong with personal and different interpretations of what we saw but don’t say that your personal interpretation is “Strictly” following canon