Is Fans Toys Best 3rd party company?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by JaZzPrImE74, Jul 16, 2015.

1. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I own quakewave and will soon get scoria (I'm not rich)
    But it's just like choosing a car do you want a sports car as your first car (no kids or wife) or do you want a beat up car that costs the same price I've seen enough reviews from both companies to tell who is light years away

2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    fanstoys are the don!!!

3. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

It's arguable, but they are a force to be reckoned with. While everyone was going for the CHUG and combiner market, they saw an opening in the MP figures and went for it. That smart decision and good QC has allowed them to secure a market that other 3Ps are now trying to crack into. So they were doing the right thing in the right place at the right time.

I wouldn't say they're necessarily the best though. There are still plenty of worthy contenders, and FT still has many areas that they can improve upon (don't get me started on the head sculpts on Sever and Perceptor).

4. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

I think they nailed the face on Quakewave...

I have been happy with all the FT products I have purchased. I wish Scoria and Soar were more like Sever though... and I like Sever's face.

5. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

It's all subjective but here's my picks

Best MP figures: Fans Toys. Runner-up: X-Transbots

Best CHUG Style: Fansproject & Maketoys.

Also great: MMC, Warbotron, TFC

Very Honorable Mentions: Toyworld, Megasteel, Iron Factory and everyone else.

Basically, Everyone is a Winner! I see some collections and they include figures from a lot of different 3P companies. You'll get what fits your needs and your budget.

6. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

7. Chrackalakis

Chrackalakis Astrotrain Engineer

Ebay:

I know my post count is not as high, and I mean no disrespect, but I would have to disagree with your QC statement. I have/had most of the MP line TT and Hasbro alike, and more than a few have had problems when it comes to their "QC" efforts.

Case in point, I jumped on the last reissue of MP-10 because of all the accolades bestowed upon it, only to have mine come with quite a few paint app issues and misaligned chest pieces. Not to mention issues I have had with MP09, MP11, MP12 and so on. The misses the mark comment I also think is irrelevant cause now TT is offering me a weird faced, slightly overweight, hip kibbled Iron Hide as MP27.

Honestly I don't think of myself as a FT fanboy, I like anything and everything, and will buy whatever hits that sweet spot. But I am very impressed with the Fans Toys dinobots I have so far. So much I have preordered a lot of FT future releases as well as other 3rd party companies.

Because unlike you I have no confidence that TT will ever release some of these characters (looking at you Perceptor ;) ).

8. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    When it comes to FansToys,I still think they are top notch when it comes to the DiBots Masterpieces,but as others have mentioned about Quakewave to me of all 3 versions of him none of them seem color accurate,the regular one is like 2 or 3 shades darker purple than he should be,the next one just seems solid black to me,finally the clear one looks almost blue instead of purple.

Even tho they nailed the robot accuracy perfectly I just can't get past those colors,so basically that is a deal breaker for me.Now as for other 3P companies I admit some are pretty good,but like most 3p's some can be downright expensive like BadCube and Warbotron,which understandably is fine but some of their figure are just plain tiny when it comes to the price.

Finally about FT's Tesla I really don't mind him so much but I rather wait a few weeks and get that Platinum Edition 2pack of Blaster and Perceptor from Target and maybe even save a few bucks.Later all.

9. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Dude! Sentences! Construct them! o_O 
    You're making my head spin.

10. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    I'm not a good at "grammar" and type on my small screened iPhone 6 (fat thumbs) as for sentences I'm just to lazy :lol 

11. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    I agree takara basically will probably just do car bots and that's about it as where fans toys will give us what we really want/didn't expect but welcome.

12. TransfanG1

TransfanG1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as nailing the G1 toon aesthetic in MP scale? Yes. Hands down #1. Not interested in 3rd party other scales so they are my go to guys.

13. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    Too lazy to hit "space" twice to which the iPhone will automatically insert a period thus ending a sentence? It would make your posts easier to read and comprehend.

14. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Let's see if that works. Ooo never knew that!

15. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    Glad to help!

And to Cheebs, you're welcome.

16. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Scale and aesthetics are completely subjective and their style may not be your thing and that's fine. For pure heft and sturdiness (besides Scorias hips which still hold poses very well, he just can't high kick) yes, they have no equal IMO. It's like they make premium collectable figures and not toys.

17. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

They are not as good as xtb at nailing that toon look, cyclones is by far the most authentic looking mp ever. That's official and non official. But wtf did it have to be xtb to get that designer. I hope for the people who that make them money get a product worthy of being top quality in QC and materials as well. Xtb seem to o be improving so who knows.

Ft is overrated IMO. Their sludge is the first figure that really looks great. Their older figures used to look good but I always felt they could be improved upon, seeing other 3p step their game up have convinced me that they could have been better, if that makes sense.

The figure I'm most curious about now if mmc defensor. MP styling, size and looks with actual different components for all bots (I couldn't stand feral Rex members all sharing the same parts and all having those atrociously ugly upper legs and way WAY too much overdetailing). Can't wait to see some images and hopefully they'll do a full set in 1 box.

18. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To gauge a company as 'the best' is just a measure of whether they have greater pros vs cons in comparison to other companies pros vs cons, as well as how much weight we give to those factors (aesthetics vs quality build for example). This obviously varies greatly from person to person. I own several 3P figures from XTB\KFC, FT, and BC. Among those three, I can would say that FT is 'the best' based on my criteria. Here's my view of each company:

FT Pros

• Designs are true to G1 source material with emphasis on toy (mostly...this may be no longer true with Grinder)
    • Bot body proportions are excellent.
    • Finish (paint\chrome) is top notch. (yes I know some people have had issues)
    • Scale is well done and given high priority.
    • High quality plastics and diecast when needed.
    • Included accessories\optional parts are excellent.
    • Forum presence. Willing to listen to fan feedback and make changes.

FT Cons

• Face sculpts are mediocre (but improving)
    • Questionable and inconsistent color choices.
    • Last minute and\or inexplicable changes to designs\color. Ex: Toy Soar will come with a red chrome beak instead of gold chrome beak (thankfully didn't happen); Toy Scoria shown to have Sever-style gold, now shown to be Scoria toon version shade; Spotter's chest redesigned when no one had any issue with the original design; Reissue Quakewave not really a reissue with different color and new hose. Failing to show a true image of the reissue yet sending pictures for retailers to post for preorders.
    • Release schedule is notoriously incorrect from initial estimates.

BC Pros

• Designs are true to G1 source material with emphasis on toon.
    • Color choices are exceptional.
    • Scale is good...though Wardog is much too tall imo.
    • Quality plastic.
    • By far the fewest quality issues directly from the factory (minus Huff)
    • Face sculpts are excellent.
    • When applicable, alt modes are real-world accurate (minus Huff).
    • Accessories are well done
    • No forum feedback, but they clearly read posts as they acknowledge criticisms on FaceBook and small changes are made (Wardog's face slots from silver to black)
    • Release schedule is very accurate with lots of buildup (sometimes fun...sometimes annoying :) )

BC Cons

• Body proportions are heavily exaggerated.
    • Finish is weak...not bad...just nothing exceptional. Minor paint, no chrome, etc. It will be very interesting to see if SunSurge turns this into a pro for me.
    • No diecast at all. I feel this was really needed on those sliding bars for Wardog.
    • Price. While FT suffers from this too, I didn't include it in their con list as I feel I get more for the price with them than I do with BC. Again, SunSurge may change this.

XTB\KFC (Transistor\Hi-Fi only) Pros

• Exceptional designs based on g1 material thanks to 539Designs.
    • Body proportions are good. Apollyon is a bit off but given his transformation, deserves some slack.
    • Face sculpts are exceptional (minus Krank...my god...:redface2: )
    • Scale is well done though I feel Krank\Stax are a bit too tall.
    • Alt modes are real-world accurate where applicable.
    • Accessories are well done.

XTB\KFC Cons

• Color choice is generally good, but odd choices like Transistor's black buttons and Stax' black thighs inches this into con territory for me, especially since they were last minute changes that differed from what had been shown.
    • Cheap plastic.
    • Very little or no diecast.
    • By far the largest number of quality issues directly from the factory.
    • Mediocre finish. Poor paint application, questionable chrome quality.
    • Fan feedback consideration. I realize some changes were made to Apollyon's design but I think that had more to do with 539Designs than XTB. The whole 'sending presamples' appears to have been pointless....not impressed by that at all. Until recently, they barely update their FaceBook page.
    • Release schedule is poor. Initial estimates are never correct and some figures get no updates...some falling off the face of the earth (FADER!!!)

Again, it isn't necessarily the numbers of pros vs cons as I weight heavily design and finish. Therefore, I rank these 3P companies:

1. FT
    2. BC
    3. XTB\KFC

19. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

Very well thought out list. Thanks for sharing. I'd say that Maketoys is probably above XTB/KFC as well. BC is definitely 2nd for me and I love Wardog, but he's not without his issues in my opinion.

20. draconious380

draconious380 Well-Known Member

Good QC my ass, I've bought one FT figure, Scoria. I missed Quakewave, and bought Scoria based on Fanstoys reputation. Loose hips and shoulders, flaking chrome. After getting a refund from my seller, I was done with MPs. Now good on FT for the replacement shoulders and such, but I'm still done with FT.

Now for my point. I've watched with interest many 3P offerings, so can I say any company is the best? Nope. All 3P's from MMC, to FT, to Warbotron have had QC issues, and other problems. While no company is the best, FT (my bias aside) is among the better companies.