Is Fans Toys Best 3rd party company?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by JaZzPrImE74, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

FT makes amazing MP products. I definitely collect MP so this is great, but my favorite stuff that I collect is 3P CHUG. That being said my favorite companies that make that style of figures are MMC, MT/FP, and Warbotron. I don't think I even could pinpoint one of them for the best because they each do different things very well. I guess my point is there is a lot of companies out there making really great products so why do we need to put a label on who's the best? We're in the golden age of collecting and I'm happy to have a ton of premium choices

2. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Fans Toys are the primary company I look to for adding to my TF collection. They overtook Takara in terms of my preference some time ago, as did Badcube.

They're making characters I'm after, in a style that I feel works fine with the official figures I own and the build quality is almost always better than anything Takara have to offer.

Their pricing is also pretty good, I paid £30 less for Quakewave than I did for MP13, around £20 less per Dinobot, and got all the Insecticons for £10 less.

With their move into carbots they're trying to raise the bar for quality by adding diecast, chrome and rubber tyres and Hound looks as good as anything Hasui has done which is no mean feat.

Could they improve in some areas? Of course, nobody's perfect.

But unless XTransbots raise their game by several notches and offer MP style figures with a comparable build quality to FT I don't see anyone knocking them off their perch.

3. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, they are currently top dog. Not necessarily due to their MP aesthetic, but because their primary focus is on quality and pleasing the collector with collector oriented product and affordable/comparable to official price tags.

They still have issues though. Weird face choices, overly tight hands, loose weapon slots, spotty led electronics. Just a few things seem to plague their releases and they could still improve upon. Just like FP though, if they don't improve on things they also leave room for competitors to come in and do things better...

Like MakeToys and Badcube.
    These two are major players that are to definitely watch in the coming months/years. They are sniping for that top dog spot and may eventually seize it from FT. MT has a huge background with classics oriented 3P figures and are starting to bring that same quality and expertise into the MP game, while Badcube has just been on moving up further and further since their original release. Definitely companies to watch, and even their current offerings (cupola/wardog) are some impressive stuff. They can only go up from where they are at now.

So FT definitely has a gold bar to set now. There is tough competition in the game now, and it's their game to lose.

On a side note I will say I'm not a huge fan of KFC toys, BUT they make the best hands currently on the market. If you could give a best 3P company award out there solely based on hands alone, they'd win "hands" down. Ok, no more bad puns, I'm out :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

FT makes some excellent figures. And then they make some that I think look good, but decide isn't for me. I collect figures, not company allegiance. Seriously, this is a repetition pf that 3rd party loyalty thread from last week..

I don't think any company is no.1 all the time, it fluctuates, that's what makes it exciting to be a collector. I have seen some people proclaim they'll buy anything this and that company puts out, which too me seems daft, but then again, that's loyalty/allegiance for you ;) 

5. Coot83

Coot83 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like FT's involvement with their line to us. They are pretty receptive compared to other companies with input from the populace. Also, the figures are pretty solid all around and the aesthetics work for me. The time deployments like others have said is pretty impressive as well.

Coot

6. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

As an MP collector, they are definitely at the top. Their stuff isn't perfect, but as many have said, they check most of the G1 toon boxes when it comes to aesthetics. Build quality is solid and I don't feel like I'm going to break something during transformation. They're also on a bit of a roll right now. Their Insecticons, Hound, and Sludge all look pretty amazing. I think that both Sever and Tesla are much more impressive in hand than in photos too. Sever's transformation is a blast and everything goes together like an MP style figure should. Tesla IS Perceptor to me and has easily exceeded my expectations (almost cancelled my order).

I'll say that BadCube and Maketoys are right up there with them though. I love BC Brawny. He can hold a ton of poses, the head sculpt rocks, and he's beefy as hell. Wardog is good, but the transformation of the shoulders worries me a little. It's a tight fit and only one of mine works properly. I'm not crazy about their Sunstreaker as of now. I'm really hoping they stick to the mini-bots as their quality is top notch and I just don't trust XTB/KFC after getting burned too many times.

7. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

This is such a subjective and personalized question based solely on individual preference. Im a MP Collector, so FT is my favorite company at the moment. I like their aesthetic, the use of die-cast, and their overall build quality. Their products "feel" like premium products in hand which for me, appeals very much with my idealization of a Masterpiece collection.

To say are they the best tho, thats really based on too many factors.

They are currently may favorite company, but they are far from perfect. As others have stated:

Too much die-cast in Scoria, Soar's leg clips (my #1 disappointment with FT), Sever's hole, Tesla's lack of ingenuity.

Do I love their stuff? Absolutley!

But if I wanted CHUG, i certainly wouldnt care for FT. If Transformation ingenuity were my thing, FT wouldnt be near the top at all.

I will say they do what they do VERY WELL. And for the narrow focus of MP, I think one could make the case that FT is currently the "hottest" or most successful contender in the MP realm based on sales, popularity, units sold, projects released, upcoming projects, and quality. I think in the MP World, FT is pretty much unmatched.

That said, there are a lot of great companies doing a lot of great things, and FT should certainly be considered a top performer.

8. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Don't feed me after midnight.

Ebay:
    Having just bought Quakewave (right before they announce a reissue - just my luck), no doubts its a great figure and I hear good things.

But I don't think there is an overall best 3rd party company. FT do good MP figures, PE / Fansprojects make good add-ons, and Iron Factory do great legends class figures.

We definitely live in a golden age of 3rd party products.

9. MP Collector

MP Collector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love each and every one of FT's products. That isn't what makes them a great company to me though. What makes them a great company to me is that they continuously respond to my emails. I have reached out via email to several third parties over the years (Toy World and KFC immediately come to mind) and have never received any kind of reply whatsoever. When I email FT, however, I get a personal response from dalianjj every single time. In the case of a Quakewave part I a was looking for...he not only responded, but sent me parts from China on his own dime. Later, when I was having an issue obtaining a Scoria replacement part from my etailer (not TCP), dalianjj personally reached out to the etailer and squared everything away for me. I spend a small fortune on third party products and I feel like these companies could do a better job in the consumer relations department. By "good job," mind you, I am just referring to a response. Fans Toys gets it...which says a lot about them in my book.

10. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Na I would have to say mmc win over all to me with iron factory as a close second.

11. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just like high quality products. So far I've found that from MMC and somewhat from MakeToys. Heard good things about Fansproject as well. Not sure about Fans Toys but I definitely wouldn't judge it on being "Takara-like" since I find most 3rd party companies beat Takara.

12. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

Define best.

If someone collects classic scale, then Fanstoys has nothing for them this year.

13. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

They're not

I like dynamic robots, like MMC. FT does nothing for me

14. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    hmm. no criteria categories, no scoring, no other companies mentioned in comparison. just "best", and at everything.
    seems objective.

15. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    They are yet to make me buy one of their figures, in fact, they are not really on my radar anymore, despite being an MP collector. Most of their releases I can see TT eventually doing and I'm more than content with waiting rather than paying for something I feel doesn't hit the mark. Their Perceptor is probably their best work so far, that's released, but it's a character that I really don't care for much to pay 3p prices, so I can wait for a cheaper official version, whenever it happens.

I agree with post above that they make some nice bodies, but they ruin it with fugly faces, mainly their dinobots. Other things like QC issues and some design choices puts them in with the rest of the lot of wannabe MP makers.

This entire thread is just an IMO thread, so, imo they're not the best, not only because of the aforementioned things, but there's very little competition to compare to to actually decide who is the best. Until we get an official MP and see what else others come up with, saying one company is the best with little competition is naïve.

I guess I am calling the kettle black here, since I rate planet X as one of the best, but I don't see them getting 3p competition for a very long time, if ever, and some of the official stuff, well they are not exactly the best examples around...>.> at FOC Grim.

16. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    It looks like they took the G1 insecticons and made them have legs and somehow made them more blocky war dog does NOT look like a toon accurate warpath sun surge looks ok at best

17. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    I never understood why people don't like there face sculpts they look fine and and toon accurate yea sure a few are a bit off but for what there priced at (tesla) at least they include extra bits

18. Driskull98

Driskull98 Icon by @DTDraws on Twitter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I don't think you even own a single BadCube or FansToys figure.

19. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Tesla is a microscope you really can't do much because you could then say soundwave lacks ingenuity and like me you don't have to focus on MP for them to be the best.

20. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    1) I dont get why people dont like FT faces.
    2) theyre off
    3) the extra parts make up for that

seems like you do get why people dont like the faces, youre just willing to rationalize it.