Is Encore Alive or Dead?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Roadbuster25, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

I loved the Encore series, especially the G1 boxsets. It seemed liked Encore hit their grove when they released combiner sets and reissuing big bots like Fort Max and Skylynx. Then things got quiet. I thought it was over like so many other Takara projects that fizzle out. But then they started to reissue figures from other lines. But now it's quiet again.

Does anyone know what is going on with the Encore series at this point? It's a strange series because they is very little news about it or advertising of upcoming figures. They tend to just release figures with no announcement.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Encore was killed because the larger reissues showed how many fan wish lists were idle talk. Fort Max, one of the holiest of holy grails, sat on clearance for years.

They semi-revived it a couple of years ago for one-offs like that RID2000 Prime/Magnus set and a few Mammoth Convoys but it was more of a zombie than actually alive.

• Like Like x 7
  3. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I would say as a regular release line it probably is. TT might surprise us with an occasional Encore release like the aforementioned Car Robots Omega Prime, Big Convoy, or Air Attack Primal but I'm not holding my breath. Looks like the reissue game is now with Hasbro and their Wal-Mart reissues.

4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    It’s dead, Jim.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Napjr

Napjr Mr. Internet Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:

True that, but lets not forget that Fortress had several quality issues (My Cerebros came with two left legs), wich retailers had to manage upon release

BBTS at some point, was selling leftover pieces after replacing customers issues

And for God Fire Convoy... The giftset was recalled for similar reasons

Big Convoy and BM Primal, werent that rare to get to begin with... i know the incentive was the show accurate deco (and Primal, to replace the original after the GPS issue), but perhaps that made them less desirable to begin with

• Like Like x 3
  6. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is really a shame. I would have loved a reissue of Scorponok. I really love the G1 Fort Max.

QUOTE="RKillian, post: 18258111, member: 45130"]Encore was killed because the larger reissues showed how many fan wish lists were idle talk. Fort Max, one of the holiest of holy grails, sat on clearance for years.

They semi-revived it a couple of years ago for one-offs like that RID2000 Prime/Magnus set and a few Mammoth Convoys but it was more of a zombie than actually alive.[/QUOTE]

7. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I'd like alot of G1 reissues but you have to ask yourself would it make sense for TT or Hasbro to make money. Just so that they can make more reissue G1 Transformers alot more to continue with G1 release. Sure I'd love to see a Scorponok reissue cause i DO HAVE 1 but I'm lacking parts for Fast-track and a couple of radars. Those parts are extremely outrageous but a reissue would be complete and give the very idea that I'd have a complete version.

8. Bustermaster

Bustermaster HEAD ON!, GOD ON!, BRAIN SET!

It’s very much a zombie at this point, pops out of the grave every now and then and something comes out, ever since LG died though After the hasbro/taktom initiative japan has been very sparse sans maybe god Neptune and a few other things.

Fort max definitely put a pin in encore for a bit, wonder how Star saber would fare as a smaller release.

• Like Like x 2
  9. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I gotta agreed on the FMax comment. It was just all talks but no action. I was so surprise he was on clearance. I jumped on that pre-order the first thing when they made it available to order. Had I known he was on clearance, I would've waited, lol. In regards to the Omega Prime giftset, I think it was the QC that stop me from getting him. I had 2 RID UM already, so I really just need Prime. Getting this set will give me 3 UM...I'll just wait for Prime to be reissued.
    Yeah, the QC does have some minor roles....in down fall of the Encore.
    With that being said, I still hope the Encore/G1 Reissue make a return. I still need Computron and Abominus to complete my G1 S1-3 combiners. Also, other G1 figures I still wanted Sandstorm, Punch CP, Hardhead, etc.

10. Roadbuster25

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was hoping for Scorponok. I wasn't aware of the quality issues with Fort Max.

11. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    And possibly* overblown QC aside, it wasn't just Fort Max, it was Metroplex, Omega Supreme, and SkyLynx too. I even went back and got a second SkyLynx at half off.

* I say possibly because I had a hell of a time getting a straight answer out of anybody about the Encore Bruticus set. There were one or two rumors out there about whether they had metal or plastic chests and supposed mold degradation but all of it seemed to be hearsay. I never opened my second set because I already had a vintage one so opening it depended entirely on it being different or in better condition, neither of which I could confirm from secondhand reports.

The Encores I did open were fine, though I didn't open many because I was focusing on sealed copies of most of the stuff as I already had vintage or previous reissues.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  12. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So far I have been very lucky with the Encore without the QC issue for my Metroplex, Devastator Anime version, Omega, Skylinx, and from the looked on FMax, he was fine too. Due to limit of space, I never got a chance to transformed FMax. Only opened the box, verified all the contents, and put him back to the storage room. Gosh, without the Encore Line, I would have never ever experience those big bots...such ashamed the line had to end.

I didn't get Encore Bruticus because I got 2 original G1 sets already; loose set all Metal version and Takara MIB D69 Plastic version.

13. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was hoping for Scorponok. I wasn't aware of the quality issues with Fort Max.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think I ran into any issue with mine. I transformed him a few times when I got him.

14. Roadbuster25

I find QC references on fandom sites hit and miss. Sometimes they get over blown and sometimes they are legitimate.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

I'll take the retro styling of the G1 Walmart reissues over Japanese Encore line. Although I did prefer Encore over Platinum Series, which was just a bit too new looking for my taste. And expensive.

I only have a couple seekers to get from G1 amd I'll be happy. And have to talk myself into Platinum Trypticon, if only to go with my Scramble City guys.

16. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that at the end of the day either:

1. Reissues cost a lot to produce

or

2. HasTak can't help but charge inflated prices for reissues. I mean, $50 for just the Optimus cab, in the US!

No matter what, it just isn't worth it to buy em for the prices they ask for.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 reissues were my favorite line. So much so I bought 2x of every release to support it. Even 2x Fort Max.

Sad to see this die out. I'll still support Beast Wars reissues (not Beast Machines though).

I'd love a reissues of Victory Sabre and Overlord.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was always mad they didn't complete the cassettes. I mean, one more box would have gotten the combiners and a second would have given the holy grail of the dino combiners Hasbro eventually gave us last year. Don't know whether to wait for new ones now or just buy old sets on ebay for the original two combiners.

19. Roadbuster25

The Encore cassettes were awesome. I really wanted them to continue with the combiner cassettes

20. JonnyBravo808

JonnyBravo808 G1 Transformers/1980s Marvel...'nuff said!

I've wondered the exact same thing about the Encore line. It sucks about the supposed QC issues on the later bigger bots. I have the Encore G1 Convoy and all 3 class of 84' seekers and they're all amazing. G1 Encore Convoy might be my favorite edition of 84' Optimus ever. I'd definitely like to see the Encore line make a comeback. Sadly, the Walmart reissue line seems to be it as far as G1 reissues for now.