Is City Commander worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by AnAutobot1985, Nov 10, 2012.

1. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

I have mine on preorder at BBTS for 134.99 plus shipping. Then I'll need the Takara Magnus voyager at 79.99 to complete this figure. Well over 200 dollars at this point. My question is, with everything else that's out there and on my list...MP-11, Green Giant, FOC G2 Bruticus, etc...is City Commander worth this steep price? How durable is it? Thanks for any info on this!

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think so.

3. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Best representation of Utra Magnus available at the moment.

4. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    You need to weigh for yourself how badly you need a $200 Classics-style proper Ultra Magnus on your shelf. City Commander is a great piece and will put up with a good deal of handling; even if the leg armor is scary as hell to attach the first couple times. But, it is also an old piece, not nearly as feature-rich as current day 3rd party offerings, as the armor tends to hinder most, if not all of the Classic Optimus mold's articulation in robot mode. In trailer mode, it is also small and compact, not really designed for carrying cars; which I know was a huge sticking point for a lot of people when it first came out.

5. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I only have the Shadow Commander, but since it's the same mold I think it's ok for me to say yeah, City Commander is worth it. I do think the giant gun is a piece of crap but putting the armor on is so satisfying I got over it.

6. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Yes. Its worth it. City Commander is a tough old custom piece thats totally worth every penny. I got mine in the first run and have displayed it / jacked around with it and its still tight and right. It does hinder movement slightly but its armor. Thats what an armor will do. The added armor really gives him a boost in height and solidarity as a figure. Unquestionably worth it.

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    FYI though, City Commander was made for Classics Magnus, United Magnus wasn't designed for him. If I'm not mistaken, the wheel colors don't match up, and if I'm not mistaken, neither does the white in certain parts (not sure about this). Of course, FP could just put out an entirely new United City Commander for this just like they did for the Bruticus re-release.

8. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my opinion, he's not worth that much money. It just doesn't strike me as Ultra Magnus. He's got GIANT feet, especially when compared to the tiny chest/upper body, and the BFG is ridiculous, and not in a good way.

But of course, it's FP and one of the earliest 3rd party offerings, so of course people are going to say he's worth it :) 

9. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Are you kidding?
    The only thing that sucks is trying to obtain an ultra Magnus to go under it. My only change to it would be to make larger, to fit in with the current MP line.

10. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    $200 is what i paid for mine with magnus figure in 2009 (is that right? seems so long ago!) off ebay before the second release. i was naive then and thinking now i probably overpaid, but not sure about what he goes for these days. that said, i dont regret him at all!

11. Donnie707

Donnie707 Well-Known Member

City commander has an ok price tag at 135. Thats not bad. I dont think the prime/magnus mold is worth 80 bucks tho. Thats borderline MP price territory. And hes definitely not an MP. So no, i dont think hes worth over 200 bucks total. Thats an easy pass for me.

12. The Crow

The Crow ARK BUILDER!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    City Commander was my first 3rd Party Product and it started my LOVE for 3rd Party. WELL WORTH IT!!!

13. deaculpa

News Credits:
    Dot forget, if it comes down to it, you can skimp on ultra Magnus (like I did): I have an old classics prime under there that I got of eBay. A slight shift in colors but you can barely tell. I bet that's not too bad off eBay, even if its not mint.

14. Zyros

Zyros Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The armor itself for 135$ is something I wouldnt have a problem paying for (can't remember what I paid for Shadow Commander anymore) but having to pay 80$ for the accommodating voyager Magnus would make me hold off from it at this point. It was great when it came out but with all the 3rd party products coming out these days I don't think he's worth 200$ complete.

Also like some people I originally had a Voyager Optimus in the armor and it really doesn't make a huge difference. Especially when it means saving 60$.

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Not necessary. ;) 

16. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    i think it's important to own if you're a 3rd party collector

17. deaculpa

News Credits:
    Dude, he's way too small to even realistically scale in with anyone except maybe sideswipe.

Edit: like many others, this was also my first third party item, and also my first preorder!

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    No, I mean you don't need to repurpose anything for an MP UM.

And like others, although CC was nto my first 3P it was my first 3P from the 3P era...i bought it along with Defender and the rest is history.

19. deaculpa

News Credits:
    yeah, that price is outrageous. i think i paid the original 89.99 for the UM armor and got a used Prime on ebay for about $20- 25...
    ive always wanted to add missles but never have...

what about the KO CC? isnt there one of those floating around? I know there used to be, at least.

20. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

True. When we think of UM, that was the 'Bot that most of were hoping would come in the classics line when that Target exclusive came out. I just knew that Hasbro would do a trailer/armor - boy was I wrong. Apparently Hasbro got that message, just at UM in Animated and now Prime line
    These guys are right about the Prime. Hell I got one off ebay for 20 bucks - and still found another one, that was damn near in PRISTINE condition, at a flea market and that one for even less. It going to come down to this; do you want it just to have that mold or the actual character that version of the mold represents? DIA Commander - a legit one and not the KO - still cost less than City Commander armor if you're in it for the mold. I like the character and I still one day plan to have a City Commander even though I have DIA to fill that spot for now