Is Chaos a good read?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by General Magnus, Jan 3, 2013.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Is it?

2. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Chaos Theory is some of the best Optimus and Megatron interaction we've ever had.

But Chaos itself isn't really that bad, once it gets going but it's rather weird, especially when the D-Void things happen and the Decepti-god stuff.

But I don't know really. It had it's moments I guess.

3. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm going to put it on the list of "don't get it unless you have everything else and feel desperate for a transformer fix."

4. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    It's fair to middling.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Its a complete disaster. AHM is much better and that's saying a lot.

6. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is... Chaos. That was my feeling when I read it.

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    It's quite terrible.

And I will back up my claim. At the start of the final issue, Arcee gives this massive Infodump to characters virtually un-involved with the story. It's horrible because A) It's there for us not the characters B) (And maybe I'm wrong) I don't remember where we ever saw Arcee learn this information & C) it basically goes "Everything you've learned for the last year & a half was wrong! here in the final issue is a totally different explanation for everything that's happening!"

OH! And it contained the piece of dialogue "D-Void, pretty sure there's a hyphen in there" .....

Yeah it was garbage.

8. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    And thank the deity of your choice for that!

9. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

I like that scene...but only because Brainstorm and Chromedome got to call Arcee's (and the writer's) explanation out for being confusing and stupid, and also for Swerve's enthusiasm to save the universe.

But other than that, there's really no reason to read Chaos.

10. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    It's not as bad as everybody makes it out to be, in my opinion. There's some decent Sunstreaker and Megatron moments in there, a very decent Cyclonus moment of epiphany and generally epic war stuff that looks out of place for a transformer story but right into glorious sci-fi\epic imagery.

The only bad thing is Galvatron and his absolutely friggin ridiculous notion that everybody should follow him just because he says so, no explanation provided.

Read it if you get the chance.

Funny how some posters here dislike the shuttle scenes; these were written by James Roberts, the "hyphen in there somewhere" is his typical take on humour discussions.

11. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Well I look at it from Galvatrons point of view.

Galvatron: "No time to explain! follow me we've got to save the universe!"

Autobots: "Wait? From what? We're in a hurry you say? Please stop everything you're doing to explain to us what is happening."

Galvatron: "What part of no time did you not understand? No you know what Eff it! *BLAST* There! you were too stupid to live anyways"

Which was cool, until the infodumps: "Actually everything Galvatron knew and you've seen was wrong!"

Also I liked H.O.D.

12. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Maybe I need to re-read it, I didn't think it was the pinnacle of TF story telling, but I never got the hate during it's run...... as for the retcon, yeah to me that seems as yet another reason to hate Chaos, not HOD. I've never had any respect for a writer who goes "See this? See what got written before I came along? *Throws in the trash* Thats what I think of other people work!"

This also known as the Geoff Johns effect.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Reading Chaos was a chore for me, because the way it was drawn and colored made it a pain in the ass to tell what was going on in any one panel, or who was who.

Heart of Darkness is ugly as sin. Probably the worst art I've ever seen in a TF book. Every page I saw made me want to run away screaming. Because of that, I've never read it. It offends me that someone actually recieved payment for that garbage.

14. dirgestone

dirgestone Banned

this sums up my feelings perfectly

15. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Maybe it's my age, I remember when Chris Baccallo started, he's a fine artist now, but you go back 10 years ago...... no, the HOD art didn't bother me, and I don't think I'll ever understand the physical injury it seemed to inflict on so many.

no That works, I can understand....and heck even agree with THAT

I just went back and re-read Issue #1, I still say. it's no where near the best thing ever written and yeah it's story doesn't even matter anymore, but I don't get the hate....

But heck, We're getting off topic. Is Chaos a good read? NO.

16. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I thought Chaos was somewhat enjoyable, but I had the luxury of reading it all at once since I was playing catch-up with years of IDW. However, I think there's more bad than good with that story.

I could list a bunch of what I disliked, but many people did a good job covering that. Instead, I'll focus on a single, unforgiveable flaw:

Megatron's last scene is so confusing. Did he fire a huge energy blast? Was Megatron victorious? Did he die? Did he explode? Did the same thing happen to him as what happened to Optimus Prime?

Neither the art nor the writing clarified this.

17. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Head canon accepted!

18. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I see what you mean about that last Megatron panel being confusing, but it's supposed to be Megatron firing some kind of energy blast at the D-Void avatar, hence why Galvatron feels its pain on the next page. And precisely what happened to him afterwards is left deliberately unknown.

EDIT: Oh, ninja'd by Pcm979.

I'd forgotten how nice some of Livio's art looks in Chaos, though. One thing, however: in Part 4, where on earth is Megatron's right leg in the page 4-5 splash? Is he running, or something, and it's hidden behind him?

19. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It should have been strangled at birth along with the rest of the original ongoing. It was so badly written that I suspect any alien races that were considering contact in a bid to enlighten humanity and cure all known diseases changed their minds and left the planet, rightfully disgusted.

Some of the art was alright, though I almost wept when I saw Don's new skeletal TF designs.

Thank God for Roberts and, to a lesser extent IMO, Barber.

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

With the way the art was done, it makes it hard to tell if Megatron fired the beam at the big bad, or if the big bad fired the beam at Megatron. I'm fine with deliberately ambiguous plot points, but I'd like to be confused in the correct way.

For example, the ending of the movie Inception is ambiguous in a very specific way. With that Megatron panel, I didn't even know how I was supposed to be confused. I just literally couldn't even understand the art to understand what type of ambiguous thing just happened.