Is Bay'verse Megatron weak willed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Mar 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not last place TF Jeopardy TFCON2020

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It always bothered me how dumb they made movie Megatron. Like to be so easily manipulated by the Fallen? Most Megatrons are extremely intelligent and cunning. When compared to TFP Megatron, who had Unicron trying to move his limbs and manipulate his thoughts, Megatron was even able to stop himself from killing Optimus. The Fallen AND Sentinel both used Megatron like he was a dumb-witted pawn. Am I only the one who felt this way? Granted I try hard not to focus on the movies to much, so my memory of events might be iffy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    This Megatron tends to be overshadowed by stronger villains, like the Fallen and Quintessa. But if given enough screentime, he is able to plot his own schemes and turn against his allies, like Sentinel and Cemetery Wind.

I would not call this version of Megatron weak-willed, except maybe in DOTM where he spent the majority in a daze.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime Banned

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Movie Optimus is no different, They're both a joke for their lost causes and countless autobots/decepticons die for no damn reasons.

Cybertron became a sunken graveyard for letting these two idiots live on itself.

• Like Like x 7
  4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not last place TF Jeopardy TFCON2020

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    :lolol  so cruel.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I don't think he's weak-willed, just weakened by bad writing. This Megatron has had several long-term plans to restore Cybertron and conquer the universe, murdered Optimus Prime after coming back from the dead, he manipulated humans into building him a new body after getting his head ripped off, and has several powerful allies whom, in a better story, he would have been using for his own purposes. The problem is, Megatron is superfluous in any film other than the first one (maybe Dark of the Moon), and his appearance feels contractually obligated, like they're obligated to include him, but they can't figure out how to properly fit him into the narrative. This is especially egregious in The Last Knight, where he attacks the Autobots for no reason, disappears for large stretches of the story, and shows up at the end because "oh yeah, Megatron's the main bad guy, right?"

I sincerely hope that the reboot makes good use of old bucket-head, because the primary villain of Transformers deserves better than being a lackey to the real villain. If they want to use a different villain, use that different villain, don't shoehorn in Megatron, and if they want to use Megatron, let him be a real and credible threat worthy of the name.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The Megatron problem seems to be a problem of being weak all the way around.

The first movie it caused an uproar in some parts of the fandom because how dare they make Prime and Megatron equals. Instead of ignoring that part of the fandom the production team embraced that idea too hard so while characters like Prime and Bumblebee became more and more like the later Rambo films Megatron kept getting weaker and weaker to point of feeling like a bad joke. Megatron seemed to take on the roll that Starscream would usually fill of wanting to be the top dog but always licking the boots of more powerful robots.

Feels like the films lost way too much tension when you knew that Prime was just going to beat down Megatron every single time the series played the back from the dead card with Megatron. He became like one of those jobbers on wrestling that don't even have intro music.

• Like Like x 4
  7. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi every copy of obakachantachi 64 is personalized

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don’t think Megatron was ever truly loyal to the Fallen. Assuming he didn’t tip the Fallen about his little sidequest, I’m pretty sure loyal subordinates don’t just make secret deals with the enemy side behind their masters’s backs unless they’re scheming something nefarious.

• Like Like x 6
  8. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Half-mummy, half-vampire, half-nerd

In the first film Megatron overpowered Optimus, and it was only cause of outside help Optimus defeated him.
    But as the series progressed Megatron became a fucking joke. In ROTF he killed Optimus, and proceeded to get destroyed at the final battle. In DOTM he lost... somehow to a one armed Optimus. And in AOE and TLK he simply left.
    Developing villians is hard.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    No, just poorly written.

10. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In TLK he was kicked out actually

• Like Like x 5
  11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    As bad as TLK was, i loved that final battle.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shockwavers

News Credits:
    Also Megatron weak willed? You mean the Megatron who was shot at point blank range with Hounds TRIPPLE BARRELED MINIGUN then had his entire arm cut off and still managed to headbutt Optimus on the ground for a brief moment.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi every copy of obakachantachi 64 is personalized

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    1, AOE, and TLK did a good job at portraying Megatron’s badassery. He was kind of a joke only in ROTF and DOTM, but I grew to embrace DOTM hobotron as a unique take on the name.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Stormragetron

Stormragetron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't think he appeared weak willed . I actually liked DotM megatron best of the live action ones . In that movie be was battered and injured but still willing to fight Optimus and Sentinel Prime .
    After being frozen for ages in the first movie and getting a harsh beating in RotF I think he can be forgiven for taking a few years to get his mojo back .

• Like Like x 1
  15. hthrun

Ebay:
    Yeah, in DotM he was still recovering...

• Like Like x 3
  16. Shockwavers

News Credits:
    Now I think of it it also kinda parrallels DOTM where Optimus was the one-armed... one who went against the odds.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

YES!
    One of my biggest gripes about the Bayformers series is what an incompetent dope he is.
    The first sign a strong villian shows up and Megatron just eagerly rolls over on his back in submission to them.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yes. And Optimus Prime is a bloodthirsty jerk

19. hthrun

Ebay:
    Who fought to save humankind.

• Like Like x 2
  20. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only time I thought Megatron was weak willed was in DOTM. As Sentinel Prime treated Megatron like how Megatron would treat Starscream. I thought of him as Starscream only in DOTM.
    In ROTF, Megatron didn't feel like The Fallen's Starscream, The Fallen never beat him or belittled him. He encourage him and guided him as any good teacher would. Futhermore, they felt more like kindred spirits. I found The Fallen's and Megatron's relationship of mentor and mentee relatable.
    In The Last Knight, Quintessa used mind control on Megatron, so I don't think that counts. As Megatron wants Cybertron revived and would jump at the chance to screw Earth.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.