Is anyone else just kind of "over" TF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Aug 29, 2011.

1. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

I'm really enjoying the Dark of the Moon stuff but I'm definitely "over" Classics/Generations and anything G1 related. I'm just bored by that stuff now. I dont think they're bad or anything, just boring. And as for third party stuff, not interested AT all.

I think once DOTM stuff is over I'll finish collecting, as while the Prime stuff is cool looking I have too many figures as it is.

I might actually just get rid of all my Classics and reissues, should get a nice chunk of change from them all, rather than just leaving them to rot in a dark cupboard.

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I couldn't give less of a damn about movie stuff anymore really. I just want the main cast. I'm focusing more on classics and Prime.

3. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    You can enjoy the shows, the fiction... it's not neccesarly about buying toys.

4. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With regards to the toys, I've definitely slowed down. All the mainline figures I've bought in the past few months are either Generations, Reveal the Shield or some other Classics aesthetic, but even those I don't buy so often anymore. I find myself spending more money on older pre-movie figures such as Beast Wars.

With regards to the Transformers franchise as a whole, I've found myself tackling this very question, and it's been very interesting. I find that as time goes by, Transformers is never at the forefront of my obsessions, but it's always consistently strong. I have interests that come and go, that I am obsessed about with varying intensity, but none of them have that consistent quality that Transformers has, as I drop them after some time more often than not. It's lasted me the longest besides Star Wars, and I think I'll be set with it for a long time.

5. Starparu

Starparu Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorta... I have a few more movie-verse figures from the movie itself ( Que, Soundwave( HA and Deluxe, Leadfoot (Both) HA Roadbuster and some off screen DOTM Figures). After those, I would like to pick up some older movie and ROTF Figures ( Ex: Mindwipe, Tomahawk, Lockdown, Bludgeon, Brawl
    a few missed HA's etc..) After that, I am done for a while . I love TF's, but I am at that point where I almost feel like my collection is complete. I love the prime figures, but I'm not sure about buying them all. So in a way, I'm "over" of them, but to be honest, I'll end up continuing my collecting, but I need a little break after those final DOTM Releases and missing movie figures are acquired. My love for transformers wont die, or ever end, just needs a rest, and so does my wallet ;P

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm tired of having so many. I love my classics stuff and still enjoying messing around with them, but everything else I just want to send on to someone who'd enjoy them more. I think it's that, and though of how much I've spent on them that's driving it.

I haven't bought anything outside MPs and classics since Animated ended.

7. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I think that's a bit harsh, a large part (if not most of) the fans on this site are collectors. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone made a post like, "Transformers fiction is really dumb."

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'l still buy them because i am extremley weak willed and like Sentinel Prime.

9. aeleven

aeleven Well-Known Member

Stop buying the crap Habro is putting out, and put that into cool stuff from the 3rd party groups. Hasbro is trying to make as much money as the can by creating toys for little kids, therefore their crap is easy to transform and not ascetic as it could be. I guess I understand why they are doing this but they are alienating the 12yrd and up collectors out there. We want quality figures like the 3rd party companies are putting out. I think in a few months after their profits suffer, maybe Aaron will start giving the hardcore fans what they want. I'm really surprised Takara hasn't reacted to the 3rd party stuff yet.

10. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

I'm kinda getting bored. Its fun waiting to see which figure comes out next... *Cough* Deluxe Trailbreaker *cough*, but after the whole collection ( i collect mainly classics) is done, what is next?

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love how people try to tell others how to collect.

I'm far from "over" tf. Maybe one day. My collecting habits keep changing but I simply love how there is so much selection out there.

12. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    NOthing wrong with a little advice here and there. I don't bother too much anymore, since no one really listens anyway...

as for me, i'm getting over collecting i think. it's rough, i've been doing this for 13 years straight. but i'm ready to get rid of a lot of stuff, so i think that's a start. i still love the fiction.

13. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Advice is great. Sometimes thats how people learn about great new figures. But I wasnt talking about advice posts. More about the "stop buying this hasbro crap or that crap" type of posts.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Ummm I say that as someone who has been collecting for decades and still does. There's a reason the "plastic crack" meme is popular - because everyone knows it's true.

15. Lady Autocon

Lady Autocon Miss Mustang

For the sake of having a million plastic robots. XDDDD LMAO!!!! ......I used to think the same thing about the toys until I got one and thought that I would hate collecting but Blurr had me get more. You'll understand if you start collecting lol!!!!

16. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Not at all, but much of the current DOTM stuff doesn't interest me...

There's a point?

17. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

The two biggest things that influenced my collecting habits were

1) Terrible movies with alien like characters. I don't care how accurate the toys are, they aren't what I personally think of when I think of transformers. So why am I finding ways to convince myself to buy $40 leader figures? These thoughts rolled back into the past series A/E/C, car robots, animated etc.

2) The compulsiveness of people on TF forums. I can't hate on anyone for collecting or spending tons of money acquiring transformers, but if you look at your hobby and realize the hobby itself is 100% spending money and then admiring... man that's not something I can find lasting value from. For me anyway. Money spent should = enjoyment.

Instead I focus on great G1 characters and figures, and spend my time customizing the good ones and bad ones to bring them more in line with what I want. Loads cheaper and more enjoyable because there is a end goal that is more or less very attainable. Luckily it won't be perfect for a while, so the hobby can still be interesting to follow over the years.

Hopefully others who shouldn't be spending so much money on this hobby, come to similar realizations. Those who have tons of extra bucks, i suppose enjoy it before life catches up to you and other things take priority.

18. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I find that pacing myself really helps. I have highs and lows like anything else in life, but I'm always glad I stuck with it when I get back to a high.

19. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i'm over it. slowly moving stuff that i really don't want and haven't bought anything in months. when all is said and done i think all that i might have left would be my complete set of alternators.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro needs to figure out what they want to do with the brand and stop trying to please everyone. Every line is suffering because their resources are spread so thin trying to have so many different lines going at once.