Is anyone else just kind of "over" TF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Aug 29, 2011.

1. dkr7

dkr7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i recently purged all my movie figures, some random figures from different lines and trying to sell my 2 remaining busts. Now i have my palisades statues, classics, mighty muggs and starscream and megs figures from random lines. I'm going only 3rd party for the foreseeable future as well as Hasbro/Takara arent really bringing anything i want unless more classics are coming i want. So i'm trying to get the season 1 decepticon cast in Masterpiece scale, TFC Hercules is my starting point and hopefully rumored releases will be true and with existing products on the way i should be able to have the entire s1 cons in mp scale by 2013/14

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    im not tired of TFs but im tired of seeing the same Movie toys over and over again. I love the movie & most of the toys dont get me wrong but when its the same yellow camaro over and over again since 2007 its gotten really old

3. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's okay Bumblebee...I'll never get over you.

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been a TF fan since G1 but I haven't bought toys until just before the movies fired up. Then they were a neat way to give me a stocking stuffer i could mess with on Christmas while I got drunk on Bailey's and coffee.

But ever since teh movies kicked up the toys to, IMHO, a whole new level of poseability, transformation, and intricacy, I've been hooked. I started grabbing teh Classics recently and when I fill out my S1-3 G1 cast to my liking I'll probably go back to a twice a year thing, maybe more.

I'm more a guy who likes toys than a collector looking to build a collection though I've broken that boundary with respect to classics recently.

5. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I'm finding it harder to stay interested when I can't find anything in the stores. Wreckgar, lugnut, windcharger, RTS legends, MP Rodimus, Rumble/Frenzy (who never came out) This last year it's been such a CHORE.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just bought the Generations (or was it RTS?) repaint of Classics Bee and my 5 yr old daughter says "Bumblebee again" when i opened the shipping box. Classic.

And I've only got 3 Bees. RotF preview bee, Battle Blades to replace him and now classics repaint, lol.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe it's just me but your title and opening post a vague. "over" all TF's? "over" G1? or "over" buying everything.
    1) If you were buying everything then you'll get burnt out. I stopped that a long time ago since I came in with alternators and movie 1.
    2) Over G1? I never started but if you're a G1 collector you are already on a long road and very few people make it to the end.
    3) Over all TF? Since you say you are sticking to classics I assume you don't mean this. For people who were not in classics from the beginning it is not a small path to pick up the ones they missed from the original waves.

Things I've gotten over since I started collecting heavily in 07.
    1) Over buying two of each, one for loose, one for MISB. It got too expensive.
    2) Over building a collection of all seekers. The rare figures are not worth it and some of the cheapest figures are pieces of crap.
    3) Over minicons. I still love them and the new unicron is 27 more slots for display but I'm confortable with the fact that I will never have all the rare ones.
    4) Movie toys. Bought waaaay too many in movie 1 including off-screen characters. Avoid a lot in ROTF but somehow still ended up with a bunch on sale. For DOTM I'm trying to avoid these toys even if they are on clearance.

Things I'm still heavily into right now that I may be over some day. Mainly 3rd parties.
    1) Fansproject. Been buying since City Commander 1. Have too many repaints.
    2) Perfect Effect. Went from not having any cassettes to all of them. Thank goodness I can quit once they make a ravage.
    3) TFC Devastator. One down, five to go.
    4) Renderform. He makes some great stuff but at some point I need to not buy garage kits. It hurst that his stuff all improve on Classics figures.
    5) Botcon. Been going since 08 but one of these years something else will come up and I'll have to decide if I'm going to pay aftermarket prices.
    6) Human Alliance. Gotta keep that Alternators streak going.
    7) Marvel Universe 3.75". Damn Target BOGO sale. I use to own 5, now I own 40.
    8) DC Universe Infinite Heroes. I bought a bunch when they were clearance a couple years ago. Only missing about 10 rare ones and some variants. Most of them are unopened. Still trying to figure out what to do with them.

8. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tell your daughter that it's not Bumblebee but Hubcap... :p 

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    In no way is it over. The only thing I want to do is sell off my movie stuff, real gear and 6" stuff.

Other than that it is in full swing. 3rd party, Prime, Classics, MP's have be spending more than ever before and I love it.

Its been a long time since I had this much fun collecting.

10. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you collect enough bots you will reach enlightment and finally understand what it is about purses and shoes that women find sooooo fascinating.

11. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

take it from someone whose been through multiple lines and been sick of them after or "over" them.

save your money and don't even buy those figures you mentioned.

The ONLY purchases I don't regret years later are G1 styled figures, Masterpieces, and early Movie Leaders for their engineering advancements. And of course beast wars because of the sentimental value.

12. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

I'm still as into Transformers as a whole as I've ever been. Unlike...uh, about 99.99% of everyone else out there, I'm not the least bit sick of movie stuff, especially DOTM, but that might mostly be because my incredibly sorry financial situation makes it such that I can only ever afford a couple of small figures every month or so, if even that...there are huge holes in my collection (and not just movie, but Generations and RTS as well), and they drive me insane through my inability to fill them...even more so with Prime on the horizon. It's like torture, really. X_X

But, other than that, I'm mostly just waiting for new stuff to come along; we're in a bit of a lull at the moment, but with the new fiction and toys that are coming soon, I'll be more than satisfied.

13. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I am not sure why I'm over most of the new tf's (with the exception of classics,human alliance,and masterpiece) but I think its because the movie figs just have very few new character figs,also the fact that they pack bumblebee the most sometimes seems like 6 of him and 1 of each of other figs,and they just sit there for months of the same figure.

So thats exactly why I am over new stuff,I only have about 5 more to get of the movie and I am done with main line figs.That way I can concentrate on other lines like classics,MP,and HA, because these are considered collectibles more than toys.That is all.

14. Krelkain

Krelkain Rodentus Chiropticon

Toy market in general has become saturated with a lotta repaints and all that jazz. Maybe a little retooling with some figures -- but still. A prudent move on behalf of companies trying to save costs making new molds and all that entales.

That being said, I can see how it can be hard to dabble into the movie toys -- especially if you're trying to be a completionist (be it a particular character or line or some such). I chose not to buy any live-action movie toys because I'm not a fan of the aesthetic, but I still feel for y'all.

I think it's important to remember the vital things. Like sentimentality and all that. Buy toys you have a strong connection with. A connection that lasts. Fiddle with and display 'em with pride. Everything else probably doesn't matter as much, depending on what you want to accomplish.

15. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got over modern TF last year... just G1 for me, and feeling all the better for it.

16. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My buying has decreased a whole lot lately. It's mostly due to DOTM, and already having versions of characters from previous lines that I like more. I'm more or less holding out for newer characters (Soundwave and Mirage/Dino), updates that I hope are coming (a new Sideways, please!), and classics to start up.

17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm going to be pretty discriminate in what I buy now. I've got maybe two or three more DOTM toys total to get before focusing on missed Classics and Classics 2.0 stuff and Third Party. I'm always interested in getting Generations stuff when it comes out, and the eventual Classics 4.0, but I'm pretty much done with movie stuff.

18. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    This thread, and others like it, go hand in hand with the movie's hype dying down. It was only a matter of time..

19. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I'm not over transformers but I'm over the movie-verse. I find I'm happy with my Dual Model Kits and the very fun and pretty MA-21, but I've pretty much gotten rid of everything else I had. I have not bought a single Dark of the Moon toy and it feels... liberating.

20. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I'm not really over TFs but I am more selective of what I buy. Spending a lot of money on repaints is out nowadays.