Is anyone else getting sick of Hollywood remaking old movies?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by catsrule, Mar 18, 2015.

1. catsrule

catsrule I am groot

Is it me or is anyone else getting sick of Hollywood remaking old movies? I was just watching Empire and they just showed a preview of Poltergeist so I decided to jump on my trusty tablet to pose this question. Forgive me if this question have already been posted. So tell me what you think. Are you getting tired of seeing remakes of old movies and want to see more original ideas or you really don't mind them making the remakes.

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

no, i don't mind adaptations, remakes, or remakes of an adaptation

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    No. You'd actually be surprised how easy it is not to get worked up over movies.

4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

No. I just don't watch them, if I'm not interested.

5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

It's a case by case basis. For example, if they say they're going to remake/reboot a movie that would be impossible to improve on and is generally still relevant like Star Wars, Back to the Future, The Godfather, or The Shawshank Redemption, then I have a problem. However, there are some reboots and remakes that I am dying to see get made as well, so the property can get the popularity it deserves. I really want to see reboots of movies like The Last Starfighter, Percy Jackson, and The Last Airbender.

6. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Unless if Hollywood know how to make a good remake (then again 99.99% of the remake is probably trash), the answer is... who cares?

This on all counts.

7. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Keep 'em coming!

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Scarface, Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, The Departed, The Thing...all remakes. Hollywood should stop.

9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nah, I mean eventually people will get tired of them and Hollywood will make original stuff again.

11. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

Some are as good as the original, some are awful, some are even better than the first go.

Honestly, I'm okay with this trend continuing on for a bit longer.

12. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

No because they bring attention to forgotten old movies and it revives interest to them. Even if the remake sucked at least we become aware of the original version snd watch those instead.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    No, not at all. The good ones tend to be really enjoyable, while the bad ones are easy to ignore. The 2009 Star Trek movie got me into a great and diverse franchise that I otherwise would have continued to ignore, and just last year we got what, in my honest opinion, is the best Godzilla movie ever made.

Remakes also tend to bring attention to the original. Which tends to include some sort of new release of said original, and maybe even a better, possibly more complete, release. Something I'm hoping happens due to the Goosebumps movie coming out later this year.

14. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Nah, it's been something that's been happening since the beginning of the film industry anyway. Of all the problems Hollywood has remakes isn't too high on the list for me.

15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tend to ignore most remakes anyway, as almost all the ones I've seen pale by comparison to the originals. Only a small handful of remakes manage to capture the magic and appeal that made the originals worthwhile.

A really good remake might match its source material, but almost never surpass it (someone help me out here- I'm sure there's a few).

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk, some of them have been quite good remakes.

Dredd, Carrie, Piranha 3d, Dracula, Parent Trap, Homeward Bound: the Incredible journey, Let Me In, A Fist Full of Dollars, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Magnificent Seven, and the robocop film wasn't terrible.

everything is going to be remade, it just is. and then they will remake the remakes. it is just the way hollywood works. it is the way hollywood has always worked.

17. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I would say I normally don't give a crap if something gets remade or not, since I'm not apt to pay any attention to the new version and I'll probably forget it ever got remade in a matter of weeks anyway.

There are exceptions to this, of course - mostly "older" remakes like The Thing ('82), Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78), and The Fly ('86); but it does seem like for me the good ones are fewer and further between in recent years - I did like the newest Robocop and Godzilla movies, but past that, nothing.

I just wish Hollywood would stop limiting their focus strictly to old movies that everybody loved and start twisting up their formula for remaking stuff. Like, say, hand a movie that wasn't that great, one that was a box-office turd or was just plain bad, over to someone who could work miracles with it. Or, instead of just remaking one classic movie, take two of them of completely different genres and mix them into one movie.

18. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

No

19. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only if they're bad remakes.

20. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I am sick of them. No originality in Hollywood.