Is anyone else feeling the way I am about generation one toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Megagalvatron1, Aug 26, 2016.

1. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    I have the opposite issue. I actually have been thinking of getting rid of more of the modern stuff to make room for more G1 stuff.

That's the problem with collecting, you can love everything, but you really can't actually own and display everything. You always have some tough choices.

2. Megagalvatron1

Megagalvatron1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah that can also factor in the some of why I'm thinking what I'm thinking. I probably have about 500 Transformers. About 250 of them are G1.
    Also one of the reasons why I mentioned my masterpiece and CHUG Collections making me question g1 is because, G1 for the most part the only line that Hasbro and Takara is now making updated versions of the same exact character and have been for about ten years. With the new beast wars masterpiece figures beast wars might start to fall in that category too. While I was afraid to try to transform my g1 thunderwing my generations was fine to transform.

3. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread needs more G1 "Nailed It's"

[​IMG]

4. Megagalvatron1

Megagalvatron1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice collection. Here is a crappy pic of some of mine

Attached Files:

5. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

That looks like a fantastic display!

As someone else said, there is a charm to g1 that no other updates has or will have for me. Nostalgia is a massive part of the reason I love those bricks and I don't think you really get that if you weren't there for it the first time around. Mine certainly won't be going anywhere in any hurry unless something drastic were to happen and I needed to cash in quick!

As to what to do with your g1 collection, lame as it may sound, only you can decide if you want to check out or not. Mine are displayed but most days at least one tf will come out to be fiddled with but most my joy comes from knowing I now own the figures I could only dream of as a kid, and I hark back to the days I spent more time than was probably healthy looking at the toyline catalogues.

6. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bingo!

Now, keep in mind I was born in 84 so my first Transformer as a kid was Computron. I grew up during G2 and in the early years of the internet my dad helped me discover eBay and Transformer shops like Snarl and Gerry Bunker (anyone?) and I would get a new one or two each birthday and Xmas.

I remember thinking, if I could only find at least Megatron, Hotrod and a few others I would be happy! I remember looking at the catalogs and imagining what it would be like to have a full set.

Well, I finally completed my old set a few years back (more pics in my signature) and now that I have a proper display for them it's my meditation room almost. A vision of setting goals, even ones that take many years. Whenever I decide to learn a new language, I have to remember that things take time :) 

Ok rambling, sorry ....

More nailed it's:

[​IMG]

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I still have some original G1 toys, but I would never collect them. Maybe I'll get the old hot rod someday. But generally speaking I prefer classics.

8. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

I think that if you enjoy just seeing your toys on display, that's great. I think that if you play with your toys daily, that's awesome, too.

But, I think that if you have a collection that you'd like to play with, but you are afraid to do so because they are that fragile... well, I think you are torturing yourself. Your toys then change from a collection you have pride in to a display that taunts you. And that isn't right.

A person's collection - whatever it is - has one job. One. Make the collector happy. Whether merely displayed, or played with, or slabbed and graded, as long as the person who owns the collection is happy, that's all that should matter.

If your G1 toys aren't making you happy, then... yeah... time to move on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Yup, those sound like wise words...

10. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    To the OP and anyone else wanting to purge your g1's, send me a pm with what you have available.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Outside of like odd ones like the cassettes, Perceptor, Sixshot....a lot of the G1 toys don't hold much play value for me.

12. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was never that fond of the G1 toys themselves. Classics/Generations were what I wanted all along.

13. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love G1. I have just - in the past - found it to be a bit expensive/frustrating to collect.

I started out with the reissues - the old TRU ones from, what was it, 2002? Then the TFC bookshelf ones... I wanted the originals, but they were too expensive for me at the time, since I was just finishing university... I started to lose interest when Encore came out, since it was becoming obvious that I'd never get a nice reissue Sunstreaker, Mirage, Wheeljack or Dinobots... at least not in the condition I wanted (which was pretty much dead mint).

Recently I've had a bit of a renaissance in vintage toys in general, and I'm a little more forgiving with some lines. I've gotten a handful of originals - recently Grimlock, Soundwave and some of his cassettes, Hook (to finish off my Devastator), Bombshell, Twintwist, Seaspray and Silverbolt, some with a bit more wear than others, but that's okay. They were loved by some kid, and that's kind of cool.

I'll never go crazy with the G1 stuff, but I like having a few, when I can get them for a good price. I would like to have some of the remaining ones I had as a kid, though - namely, Sunstreaker, Blurr and Brainstorm. Maybe the remaining Dinobots and Headmasters too. :) 

And off-topic, since it's not an official Transformer, but - Converter Robat. Love that thing. :) 

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Same. And the reason is that the modern figures just don't do anything for me. Nostalgia is the reason I even got into toy collecting in the first place, and the truth is, Masterpiece, Generations etc. have exactly none of it, and I've come to realize that letting things like "superior articulation & engineering" come first was misguided.

Hell, at this point, even the Armada toys have more nostalgia value solely on the account of having owned them for so long. But would I want to buy more Armada toys in the future? Unlikely.

I used to feel the same way. I never would've thought I'd actually own a G1 Nightbeat, Thunderwing or even Scorponok and Fort Max some day. Funny how an even more expensive toyline changes your perspective!

• Like Like x 1
  15. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Any g1 figures i still have or the few reissues I bought years back are going nowhere unless I absolutely need money. I still love the ones I have, and they are still fun to mess with from time to time, which isn't often.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Lately I've been thinking if I had to start over, I'd bypass Generations and just get vintage G1, but I'd probably not like being fearful of breaking all of them.

17. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I think most of them are fine since you know they're fragile - like Prowl's roof - after all, you aren't a careless child anymore. Unfortunately, you can't do anything about the ones that are just badly designed.

Well, you can probably do something about some of them - Mindwipe's fists for example, I opened up his forearms and sanded the nubs a little to make them less tight and thus prevent the pegs from snapping.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not at all, i'll sell my g1s last. there's always going to be another new shiny thing to replace what's current, but you can't replace the originals

• Like Like x 1
  19. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I reached this stage couple of years ago. I'm selling off the old and replacing them with the new and improved version. Had g1 saber, sunstorm, hotrod etc replaced with mps.

After finally getting fort max, i might replace it with the upcoming legends fort max.

20. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Good advice, here.