Is anybody working on a third party Victorion?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Eternalm, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

Ebay:
    I've been really liking the character(s) in the comics, but the Hasbro offering leaves a lot to be desired. I see that there are a couple of upgrade kits, but I'd definitely be happier with TFC or someone doing an original take.

2. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't imagine that will ever happen.

• Like Like x 4
  3. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

Never. C+ customs is your only hope.

• Like Like x 3
  4. darkeros

darkeros Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Why not? Maybe MMC will make one in the future ? They even made only 4 issued comic character named Wing from IDW Drift comic book.

5. Eleyre

Eleyre TFW2005 Supporter

Iron Factory seems to be fond of IDW characters :) . A legends size Victorion would actually be pretty cool.

• Like Like x 4
  6. mephinc

mephinc Well-Known Member

A third party who? <----- That is your answer. Most of us older people (ya know, with the wallets), have no idea who that is.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm older and have a wallet. A big wallet.
    One that doesn't seem to ever have a lot in it...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I wouldn't hold my breath...

... And yet any company that makes a Defensor that is scramble city could basically do a Victorion with some repaints and new heads.

9. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I could see Iron Factory doing a legends set some day. Especially if they make Defensor. They like remolding/repainting their figures and they base most their stuff around IDW.

10. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    I'd be interested in a legends class one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

The problem with using defensor as a mold is that it'll suffer from the weird drag queen look the CW figures got with male bodies and female heads. The C+ set doesn't do anything to help, and removes the chest motorcycle which is kind of a negative.

I have a feeling if iron factory does it (they won't, at least not in the next 3 years), they'll make new molds, since they've shown that they're willing to put in some effort to make little legends chibi fembots.

• Like Like x 3
  12. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they would be willing to invest in original molds that would be cool.

Are they booked out for the next three years? I feel like they should release everything they announced by mid-2018.

13. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

Nope

14. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly it would only take a slight remold and recolor of any 3P Defensor. Two Blades and 2 Streetwises for limbs.

15. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Eh that's a particular situation born out of us having a mold designed for Drift that can easily be tooled for Wing as well. Both being designs that are suitable to the Reformatted line with at least one of them being a very well known character. I'd say Wing probably wouldn't exist if our Drift didn't. Wing is also one stand alone voyager figure. These days people want mp or mp-ish combiners which is at least 4 voyagers and a bigger guy. In the case of Victorian you're talking about 4 voyagers (or bigger), an ultra (or bigger) and a legends (or bigger).

She has a number of things holding her back from third party treatment, most of all the almost absolute certainty that she would bomb super duper hard sales wise. I just can't see a company looking at this idea and thinking "this is great plan what could go wrong!". The deluxe 3p combiner market is dead so that only leaves mp scale really.

Do people who want "vic but done well" want her in mp scale? I'd say probably not. And if they do, do they realize she'd cost at least $450 bucks? Would they buy her? What if she's not perfect? still yes?

A lot of questions, time, money, uncertainty. It just seems like a big big risk for many reasons to me. I just don't see a potential market big enough to justify such a thing being undertaken.

16. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Honestly... if we went back like, five years when 3rd Parties weren't as popular/prevalent... the suggestion of Drift getting a 3rd Party figure would probably be laughed at. Drift *was not* popular in these parts... being such a Mary Sue character, at first. It's only with him being around nigh a decade now, having a far more fleshed out character in the IDW comics, and with tolerable iterations across various TF media that folks are fond of him.

Perhaps in time Victorion and even Windblade could become more than just the Mary Sue characters that they are now... Course, Windblade got a cutesy 3rd Party Legends figure recently......

I digress... I'd be inclined to agree that a Victorion figure probably wouldn't be advised by 3rd Parties, except maybe via a Legends set that could whip up simple retools of a Defensor combiner. (Not that that exists yet.)

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Third party companies tend to want to see profit from the stuff they make, so probably not.

That said, I would probably buy a reasonably priced legends one. Anything bigger than that, forget it.

18. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you are wrong and/or misjudge almost every single thing. Especially with your assessment of what people want. The MP fandom is loud rather than powerful.

I would utterly kill for a Victorion figure. Especially if she is anime and stylized and can be repainted into megatronica.

19. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Why don't you send an email to FansProject, ask them how well Dinoking sold as it continues to be heavily discounted and is still shelf warming. How about MT and ask them about Guardia and Quantron, two sets that sold so sluggishly the former never got a 2nd run and the latter had to have unsold box sets repackaged as discounted singles in order to recoup losses.

Ask TFC how Liokaiser is doing, one of their worst selling sets they've ever made, and their Ares and Prometheus bombed crazy hard prior to that too. Their Piranicon as well isn't doing too great. And while you're at it drop UT a line to see what they have to say about Ordin, who, just like FP's Dinoking continues to be heavily discounted and easily available despite only having a single wave release.

Fuck man, read the market, look at the signs. It's clear this shit aint selling the big numbers it needs to to warrant specialty projects like this. You think I don't want a Victorion too? I would buy 3 sets of the damn thing if it got made, I would be first in line to cheer for it. I would take 500 photos and send a set to a friend I'd be so down for it. Do not for a fucking nano second doubt that I wouldn't be 5 trillion percent on board for such a crazy awesome thing.

But it aint happening, not with the current market as it is. Not in the MP scale boom climate, not with hasbro having put out a million highly affordable combiner sets. 2, 3 maybe 4 years from now things could be quite different. But right now, right this second I see demand for something like this being woefully undersized compared to what it needs to be.

And you do realize when I refer to mp scale products I am referring to:

- slavish idw designs
    - completely original designs
    - designs based on everything beyond and out of G1
    - literally everything else, including figures that aren't deliberately aiming for mp scale but simply happen to be bigger than deluxes and scale well with mps anyway

A deluxe scale 3p Victorion would at very best, be a big gamble right now. If a 3p were to embark on such a thing, good luck to them. Cheaper projects with way way higher chances of success have crashed and burned hard.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  20. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean, you have a point. But PE's OpOp has sold out twice and they are doing a third run of Lio. Ironfactory Magnuc got 2 runs and 2 recolors. Hell, Steelcore got 3 runs.

Yeah, people are dumping money into 3P MP like it's going out of style. But to say that is all people want is ignoring the other stuff. Evasion Prime and all that.

3P MP is hot right now, because it is a bubble. And sooner, rather than later, that bubble is going to burst. And then all the people demanding the attention right now will be selling their 3P MPs like Alternators. We're already seeing what that will look like as badcube sunstreaker is in freefall.

Maybe in 5 years? Man, I hope so. I really miss creativity. This 3PMP stuff has got me about ready to slit my wrists.

Also, I'm not arguing your point. Just amending.